Head of Mission – Giordania
Duty station: Amman with regular presence in the three (3) Field offices in Amman East, Irbid and Karak
Starting date: 01/08/2019
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Regional Director
Supervision of: Senior Management Team members
Dependents: according to INTERSOS HR Field Staff Benefits Policy
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been operational in Jordan, in response to the consequences of the Syrian crisis, since 2012.
The current program focuses on providing timely support to those extremely vulnerable Syrian refugees, and hosting community members alike, living in hosting communities and outside of official camps settings.
The program covers 8 provinces of the Kingdom, from north to the south, through activities coordinated by the Coordination office in Amman, and implemented through three field offices located in Amman East, Irbid and Karak.
General purpose of the position
Legally and officially represents INTERSOS in the country of assignment and acts under the supervision of the Regional Director.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Head of Mission represents the Organization and is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the country program on the basis of defined strategies and indications. The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
Communication and representation
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities
- Tmonitor donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country as well as to map and approach new donors
Planning and implementation
- Define country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new interventions
- Assess, promote and submit new projects, following the procedures defined and promoting a spirit of participation among beneficiaries at all management stages, ensuring the transparency of the intervention
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations – and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects – ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with INTERSOS and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures
Information and Reporting
- Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention
- Define the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance
- To ensure the respect for the values, Code of Ethics and Organization Management and Control Model of INTERSOS within the mission
- Ensure personnel compliance with procedures foreseen by INTERSOS’ Organization Management and Control Model
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings
- Validation of all the mission security plans (Capital and projects)
- Interaction on the Country security issues with HQ (Security Referent) and relevant actors
- To hold final responsibility for any decision concerning security
Required profile and experience
- Postgraduate degree (MA or LLM) in International Humanitarian Action, International Relations, or similar relevant fields
- At least 5 years of professional experience as Head of Mission, Country Director for International NGO
- Solid experience in humanitarian actions;
- Familiarity with programs mainly oriented towards Protection (including mainstreaming of protection and integrated approaches);
- knowledge of integrated programming and Education in emergency/WASH/Shelter programs an asset
- Proven commitment towards humanitarian principles and values
- Strong HR management skills
- Knowledge of the context of the Syrian crisis and of the Middle East is an asset
- Knowledge and commitment towards Child Protection Policy / Protection from Sexual exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) Policy
- Familiarity with and knowledge of MEAL system is considered an asset
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Arabic or Italian will be considered an asset
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Proactive approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural team
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “SR-42-1070 – Head of Mission – Jordan”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.