INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager / Head of Base – Afghanistan
Duty station: Kandahar
Starting date: 01/10/2019
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: approx 50 staffs
General context of the project
The program’s general objective is to contribute to a reduced morbidity and mortality associated with malnutrition, diseases and hazards resulting from deficient (or non-existing) health and nutrition services, environmental health conditions and protection environment in conflict-affected communities in Kandahar province – Afghanistan.
The proposed program aims on the health and nutrition side to address the inadequate coverage and quality of life-saving services (especially for reproductive health and nutrition services) for the most vulnerable communities in Maywand, Spin Boldak and Zheray. The project will also address some of the key determinants of malnutrition and child and maternal mortality through promotion of improved Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices, safe delivery and healthy behaviors. Hygiene/WASH promotion is closely linked to health and nutrition and can further help to decrease mortality rates. Lastly the project will seek to enhance the psycho-social wellbeing and protective environment of the most vulnerable population groups.
- Hire and train (female) dedicated health staff for RH (and/or nutrition services) at HF level (static), run mobile teams to support the outreach capacity of the HFs for provision of RH and nutrition services; identify and train new additional community health workers and supervisors; conduct community awareness sessions on health and nutrition related topics; and secure the OPD nutrition services at HF level by dedicated trained nutrition staff;
- Conduct training in CP, GBV and PSS for different stakeholders, actors and volunteers; conduct awareness sessions for community members on protection related issues; provide individual case management services for individual protection cases (CP, GBV and PwSN)
- Run WASH – HP sessions for different target groups.
 Reproductive Health (RH)
 Outpatient Department
 Persons with Specific Needs (PwSN)
General purpose of the position
The Project Manager is in charge of the implementation and the supervision of the project entitled: “Multi-sector emergency response for the conflict affected population (IDPs, returnees, vulnerable (host) communities)”. As Head of base, he/she is responsible for overseeing (in collaboration with respective coordinators / managers) the Administrative, HR, Logistics and Security units in Kandahar.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation and sets targets as included in the project description
- Guarantee an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations
- Team management and project integration assurance across the 3 sectors
- Deliver quality project activities reporting, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the level of beneficiaries achieved through the project
- Oversee the Administrative, HR, Logistics and Security units in Kandahar
Ensure the full and timely implementation of the project proposal as approved, pro-actively respecting deadlines for reporting:
- Team recruitment, liaise with HR department and technical Coordinators to secure up to date HR files
- Prepare and organize training for volunteers and teams
- Project kick-off and presentation/sharing of project with teams
- Review and prepare a detailed activities plan with team
- Agree and establish clear reporting and communication lines
- Verification on the targeting of beneficiaries
- Ensure sector SOPs and guidelines are properly applied and adhered to
- Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery
- Ensure security assessment for teams’ daily movement and report incidents/concerns in a proactive manner to the Head of Mission and Security Focal points
Financial management and procurement:
- Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan
- Prepare weekly liquidity plan
- Approval of all purchases/contracting and budget line allocations
- Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spreadsheets (PN): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period
- Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented (also for the procedures applied by the municipalities), in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
- Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness
Manage team and to provide relevant capacity building and on-job coaching to the project team:
- Manages and evaluates the performance of the project staff
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for assessments and reporting by the team
- Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to supervisors
- Ensure timely processing of information/data and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data
- Continuous/fast verification of data quality collected and received from field staff
- Establish a participatory process to inform/develop relevant response strategies for conflict mitigation and enhanced social cohesion.
- Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities.
- Ensure good practice and system for internal and external referral of most vulnerable cases, in close coordination and collaboration with other INTERSOS programmes/project staff.
- Oversee team attendances and authorize holidays, liaise with HR department to secure up to date HR files
- Ensure teams respect INTERSOS rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to INTERSOS code of conduct and charter of values
Monitoring & evaluation:
- Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries
- Applying a result-oriented approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including changes at the household and community level achieved through the project
- Ensure quality reporting on achievements through daily short briefings, monthly and weekly planning presented against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
- Secure weekly and monthly reporting per team and compile, review and analyses reports on monthly bases to be reflected in INTERSOS’ PAT reporting tool
- Prepare ad hoc progress reporting for the donor and official required interim and final project reports: Prepare interim and final narrative reports for the donor in a timely and qualitative manner, looking into achievements against outcomes and output and reflect lessons learnt clearly into recommendations for future programming. Reporting must at all times be gender and age disaggregated.
- Holds final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents
- Delivers regular communication products (including pictures) on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets
Coordination and representation:
- Attend the relevant cluster meetings and ensure timely reporting of highlights to HoM.
- Ensure regular updates to donor representatives.
- Coordinate with relevant line-ministries and assure the timely signature of sub-agreement with MoPH and MoEc for the implementation of the project.
- Support INTERSOS with the implementation of the Country Strategy, in particular for the development of specific and detailed sector strategies.
- Contribute to the coordination between the different project-teams for the projects in Afghanistan. Proactively participate in cluster meetings and other relevant working groups for Afghanistan, also relevant inter-sectoral coordination meetings at national level.
- Ensure systematic information and update sharing with the HoM and other programme staff.
- Coordinate with other INTERSOS projects/sectors in Kandahar for effective and efficient referral of cases between INTERSOS projects/sectors.
Head of Base:
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings
- Support the security analysis and support the HoM in updating the CPPs in the field base, the SOPs and in any other security-related task.
- Support the HoM on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse.
- Oversee the Administrative, HR and Logistics units in Kandahar
- Cooperate with the Logistic Manager for any logistic and procurement-related tasks in the field base.
- Cooperate with the Country Finance Coordinator for the supervision of the financial and administrative aspects in the field base.
- Cooperate with the HR manager for the implementation of the HR procedures at field level.
Perform any other related duties as required.
Required profile and experience
- Hold an advanced degree in social science or any related field.
- At least 3 years of direct professional experience working as project manager on humanitarian project/programme, including financial management and logistics responsibilities.
- Prior work experience in INGO in humanitarian project management.
- Demonstrate minimum 1 year experience in the implementation of multi-sector humanitarian programming
- Demonstrate minimum 1 year experience in security context analysis and involvement in security management
- Experience managing health and protection programs (desirable)
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting and insecure countries
- Admin, finance and budget management skills
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular Excel knowledge is a must).
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management models
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
- Readiness and ability to move around in Afghanistan
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (proactive)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS platform, you can also apply by sending your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “SR-28-1122 – Project Manager / Head of Base – Afghanistan”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.