Head of Base / Solid Waste Management Project Manager – Libano
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Base / Solid Waste Management Project Manager
Duty station: Tyre – South Lebanon
Starting date: 01/01/2020
Contract duration: 7 months
Reporting to: Program Coordinator for the project related component Head of mission for the Base management
Supervision of: 7 staffs
General context of the project
The influx of Syrian refugees in Lebanon (about 1.5 million from 2011) has increased the population by 30%, increased poverty, worsened hygiene conditions, and exacerbated pressure on natural resources. This phenomenon is particularly marked in the poorest areas of the country, where demographic pressure has negative effects on basic services.
Environ 70,000 Syrian refugees reside in the municipalities of 62 Municipalities’ Union (UdM) of Tyre (200,000 inhabitants before the crisis), causing an increase of between 16% and 43%.
The amount of produced Urban Solid Waste (RSU) has grown by 40% worsening an already critical situation. Given the inadequacy of treatment units and landfills, waste is scattered in nature or burnt and illegal landfills are multiplying. The proposed intervention area is served by the Ain Baal Settlement Unit, whose current operational capacities are insufficient for (i) lack of waste triage at source (ii) poor waste management capacity of the Unit and 63% of the waste are directed to illegal landfills, increasing the cost of the service for the municipalities and the impact on natural resources (forests and groundwater). A World Bank-funded infrastructure project to increase its operational capacity begun in August 2017. To optimize its operation, however, it is necessary to intervene in the upstream chains: separation of waste at source, rationalization of
collection and transport. At institutional level, individual municipalities are responsible for urban hygiene and environmental management. The costs for collecting RSU since 2011 due to the increase in the population, have increased by 40%. Hygiene conditions have deteriorated along with pressure on environmental resources and access to running water is inadequate with only 50% of households having connections with an average availability of 8 hours of water/day) with considerable risk of transferable diseases. On the other hand, municipal taxation is almost non-existent due to (i) mediocre quality of the services offered, resulting in mistrust of citizenship, (ii) population poverty, (iii) poor organizational and managerial skills, (iv) inefficiency of
The main objective of the project is: Contributing to the improvement of the quality of life, hygiene conditions and the management of the environment in the Union of Tire.
The three expected results are:
- 1 15 000 inhabitants of Tyre improve their hygienic-environmental conditions through a separate collection
- 28 municipalities of the Union adopt an integrated SW management system, improving hygienic-environmental conditions;
- 3 Ain Baal’s Sorting and Recycling Unit improves its management system and guarantees a quality service at 36 municipalities;
The project is implemented in partnership with the Local NGO Arcenciel and the Politecnico di Milano University.
General purpose of the position
The purpose of the position is twofold:
- Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator, the Project Manager is responsible for the efficient and smooth implementation of the Solid Waste Management project in South Lebanon, funded by AICS (Italian Cooperation). She/he will be responsible for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all the project’s related activities.
- Under the supervision of the Head of mission, s/he will be responsible for the base management and general coordination. S/he will notably be responsible for the external representation for the area, the security management, to supervise and ensure a smooth functioning of the supporting departments (finance, logistics and HR).
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Define and update project strategies, tools and work plans appropriate to the local context
- Guarantee the proper planning, implementation, monitoring all the project activities;
- Ensure that the program is implemented on time and in a cohesive and integrated manner;
- Ensure compliance with INTERSOS administrative and logistical procedures;
- In collaboration with the admin department, ensure the financial management (financial plan, budget follow up…) according to the agreed budget;
- Identify possible co-funding for the project
- Redact of the management tools according to INTERSOS internal procedures and AICS procedures: PAT, Financial Plan, reports;
- Undertaking regular field visits to ensure supervision and monitoring of the progress of project’s activities;
- Coordinate with the Wash Engineer Technical Advisor for the implementation of the infrastructure works foreseen in the project by ensuring that are in line with the set plan and implemented in a timely manner
- Coordinate and participate to the drafting of tender documents and to the evaluation of the bids; she/he is responsible of the supervision of the correct application of the procurement procedure
- Ensuring regular performance evaluation of projectstaff as per internal regulation with the support of HR department;
- Ensuring the timely recruitment of national project staff, in coordination with relevant support staff, as per INTERSOS policy for staff recruitment;
- Coordinate and supervise the project’s staff work on the field;
- Ensuring respect of and adherence to INTERSOS rules and regulations, code of conduct and ethical values chart;
- Ensuring and proposing capacity building opportunities for national staff, keeping clear oversight and reporting on trainings attended and conducted by national staff
- Maintain a positive working relationship with local technical counterparts, national and international partners;
- Participate in community consultations on SWM in order to better identify the communities’ needs;
- Work closely with the Municipalities, community leaders, local authorities and Technical Partners to ensure that activities are implemented as per work plan and ensure participation and good relations;
- Coordinate the project partners’ activities and their use of the allocated budget;
- Coordinate the missions of the project’s International partner
- Participate to the Program meeting, the sector meetings at local and national level, and the meeting with local authorities.
- Actively coordinate with other stakeholders in SWM sector in South Lebanon
- Participate to the INTERSOS South Programme
- Coordination Meetings and other technical meetings, if requested
- Redact the project reports using the appropriate tools and templates and the project’s budget revision/amendment, if needed.
- Perform other related duties to support the project team and the project implementation process, upon request of the Program Coordinator;
Head of base role
- Ensure representation of INTERSOS in the South towards stakeholders;
- Ensure a proper coordination on the base for a smooth functioning (regular base meeting);
- Facilitate the coordination between projects;
- Supervise the supporting departments (admin, logistics and HR)
- As part of the coordination team, attend the monthly national coordination meetings in Beirut;
- Coordinating and managing security at base level as per INTERSOS Lebanon Security Plan;
- Analysing and updating on the security situation in South, in close coordination with Liaison Officer and relevant stakeholders suggesting to the Head of Mission possible adjustments of security measures.
Required profile and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in SWM/WASH/Environmental Engineering/Agriculture, International Development, or similar fields is highly desirable.
- A least three (3) years of management experience in the development sector, including at least two (2) years of experience in managing SWM or economic recovery programming; or experience in integrated program development and management;
- Good experience in M&E and report writing;
- Experience working with international partners and local institutions and local actors, including local Municipalities, local NGOs and CSOs/CBOs;
- Experience in Mass Media Communication and/or Awareness Campaign is an asset;
- Strong project management and planning skills: (re)assessments, design,implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, with good skills in managing related data analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with donor, project stakeholders, in-country collaborators and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of participatory approaches and tools to community planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Strong MS Office skills, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Previous experience with INTERSOS is an asset
- Fluency in Italian and English is required;
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Demonstrate ability in thinking creatively and practically to improve the quality of projects and problem solving
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, presentation and communication skills
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance
- Willingness and physical ability to perform field missions in rural areas if needed
- Ability to delegate and work in team
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written;
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS platform, you can also apply by sending your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “SR-34-1189 – Head of Base/Solid Waste Management Project – Lebanon”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.