Capo Missione – Libano
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Mission
Duty station: Beirut, with regular presence in the four (4) field offices established in Mount Lebanon (Beirut), Bekaa (Zahleh), Akkar (Tripoli), South (Tyre)
Starting date: 20/04/2020
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Regional Director for Middle East
Supervision of: Senior management team (SMT) members
Dependents: According to INTERSOS HR Manual
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been operational in Lebanon, in response to the consequences of the Syrian crisis, since 2012.
The current program focuses on providing timely support to those extremely vulnerable Syrian refugees, and hosting community members alike, living in hosting communities and in unofficial camps settings.
The program covers four (4) Governorates of the Country, from north to the south, through activities coordinated by the Coordination office in Beirut, and implemented through the four (4) field offices established in Mount Lebanon (Beirut), Bekaa (Zahleh), Akkar (Tripoli), South (Tyre)
General purpose of the position
Legally and officially represents INTERSOS in the country of assignment – granted with powers conferred by proxy by the Secretary General upon appointment to the post – and acts under the supervision of the Regional Director.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Head of Mission represents the Organization and is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the country program on the basis of defined strategies and indications.
The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
Communication and representation
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, – – Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities
- Monitor donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country as well as to map and approach new donors
Planning and implementation
- Define country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new interventions
- Assess, promote and submit new projects, following the procedures defined and promoting a spirit of participation among beneficiaries at all management stages, ensuring the transparency of the intervention
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations – and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects – ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with INTERSOS and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures
Information and Reporting
- Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention
- Define the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance
- To ensure the respect for the values, Code of Ethics and Organization Management and Control Model of INTERSOS within the mission
- Ensure personnel compliance with procedures foreseen by INTERSOS’ Organization Management and Control Model
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings
- Validation of all the mission security plans (Capital and projects)
- Interaction on the Country security issues with HQ (Security Referent) and relevant actors
- To hold final responsibility for any decision concerning security
Required profile and experience
- Postgraduate degree (MA or LLM) in International Humanitarian Action, International Relations, or similar relevant fields
- At least five (5) years of professional experience as Head of Mission/Country Director of International NGO
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context
- Strong knowledge of donor’s procedures notably UN agencies (UNHCR, OCHA, UNICEF), AICS and ECHO
- Very strong skills in computer (excel) and admin/finance procedures
- Highly able to keep confidentiality
- Able to work independently and under stress
- Organization skills, delegative and empowerment approach of the supervised team
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Arabic and/or Italian will be considered an asset
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Proactive approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-34-1397 – Head of Mission – Lebanon”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.