Global Research and Data Analysis Specialist – Tunisia/Libano
Location: Lebanon or Tunisia, with missions to We World-GVC countries of operation
Job Title: Global Research and Data Analysis Specialist
Type of contract: 11 months with possibility of extension (including a 3 months as probation period)
Starting date: ASAP
Gross salary: To be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Application deadline: 08 March 2020
Application procedure: Send your CV, Cover Letter and 3 Reference letters to firstname.lastname@example.org or click here with reference LT1.1 Only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
We World-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, We World-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. We World-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the We World-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
The International Advocacy and Innovation Unit (IAIU) is We World-GVC Unit providing policy direction and support to the organization in International Advocacy and Innovation. The current objectives of the IAIU are: to reinforce WW-GVC position in international debates through effective rights and evidence based initiatives, to consolidate the Community Protection Approach (CPA), and to provide instruments and research to reinforce the organization capacity.
The CPA is a community engagement and empowerment instrument to design and monitor Integrated Protection Strategies, provide operational tools to facilitate coherence, collaboration and complementarity between different foreign and national aid instruments and find sustainable solutions to a given population’s needs and problems (www.cpainitiative.org).
Within this framework, We World-GVC is recruiting a Global Research and Data Analyst Specialist (RDAS) as a core staff of We World-GVC International Advocacy and Innovation Unit (IAIU). The RDAS will provide the leading role on Research and Data Analysis, including strategy development, innovation and programmatic advisory to We World-GVC missions.
This position is lined managed and accountable directly to the IAIU Coordinator, and works closely with the CPA Programme Manager, the Information Management Program Manager and the Protection Specialist. The RDAS provides technical line management to the dedicated Research and Data Analyst Officers in the different GVC Missions’, upon IAIU Coordinator assignments.
The RDAS works globally and he/she is deployed in a We World-GVC mission. The modality of work is mostly remotely with missions defined according to priority and programming needs, to be defined by the RDAS together with the IAIU Coordinator. The RDAS is an exciting position within We World-GVC, in that it combines multiple-sector programmatic insights in current humanitarian and development projects, and the possibility of exploring and designing innovative research and analysis approaches grounded on actual field implementation.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Methodological and technical development of the CPA and analysis and visualization of its results, including all its components MQ, NCP and IPA (50%)
- Lead the enhancement and sustainability of the CPA methodology and its steps
- Ensure the productivity of the CPA methodology by the high-standard and timely provision of analysis (quantitative and qualitative), reports and visualizations
- Develop standards and capitalize on best practices of analysis and reporting either existing internally within WW-GVC or externally by other actors
- Collaborate to ensure the CPA Platform is a tool for the field implementation of the steps of the CPA methodology and it provide relevant outputs to the user
- Assess and aim at the scalability and extrapolation of the steps of the CPA methodology and its new enhancements and of its analysis
- Responsible of drafting and sustaining a CPA methodology development
- Custodian of RDA Team section of the IAIU repository: concurrent and on-time systematization of documents, tools and all relevant Global and Missions’ specific documentation of the CPA
Provide technical guidance to WW-GVC missions during the proposal drafting and project implementation, with special emphasis on exploring and assessing the complementarity and added value of other existing methodologies (30%)
- Support the CPA Programme Manager providing relevant technical guidance to the missions on the implementation of the CPA methodology for proposal writing or project implementation
- Lead on the drafting of methodological documents and briefs to standardize and explain the CPA methodology and its implementation
- Support WW-GVC mission in drafting ToR and recruiting specific technical human resources and management of the technical domain of Data Analysis
- Insure that all WW-GVC missions employ adequately the CPA methodology and highlight red-lines in its implementation to the CPA Programme Manager
- Study and explore the complementarity of the CPA methodology with other existing methodologies where the CPA implementation can generate conflict or overlapping
- Capitalize and integrate elements of explored existing methodologies that can provide an added value to the CPA methodology
- Continuous stocktaking of third parties’ databases and analyses to extract occurrences to confront, validate and suggest developments in PVI and Protection Dashboard data analyses
Establish and maintain relationship with universities, research centers and other academic and technical stakeholders (20%)
- Explore and sustain strategic technical alliances with partners that can emerge from the assessment and capitalization of exiting methodologies
- Actively search and propose alliances with universities and research centres, including writing of innovation and research proposals
- Lead on behalf of the IAIU Coordinator and the IAIU the identification of innovative solutions to maintain the relevance of GVC Data Analysis definition and methodologies, in line with international standards and particularly ICRC, IASC, Global Clusters, ECHO and other relevant UN systems
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Master degree in Social Sciences, Political Science or International Relations with major on social research methods or statistics, or in Information Technology or Statistics, with strong background in social and human sciences (alternative experience may be considered)
- Proven knowledge and analytical skills with Qualitative and Quantitative information
- Ability to collect, clean, organize and triangulate large amounts of information from different sources and of different types
- Excellent computer skills
- Fluency in English both written and verbal
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience
- At least 2 years of working experience in developing countries
- At least 2 years of experience in research methodologies and data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with common data science toolkits (R, Stata, SQL, Python)
Skills and Abilities
- Capacity to perform, advance analysis and report results and visualizations to multiple audiences (donor, partners, general public, academic, government…)
- Stress management and adaptability
- Team work and team management
- Intercultural awareness and respectful attitude towards other customs and traditions
- Ability to work independently and set own objectives
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Arabic
- Experience with the CPA methodology is highly valuable
- Experience in project cycle management
- Experience in MEAL, proposal writing and donor reporting
- Experience in Information Management or Information Technology related field