Capo Progetto – Iraq
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager
Duty station: 70% Hammam Al Alil, 30% Telafar
Starting date: 01/05/2020
Contract duration: 13 months
Reporting to: Country Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: 2 Protection Managers, 1 Education Manager
General context of the project
The project aim to address the humanitarian needs of the most vulnerable conflict-affected population in Ninewa Governorate, with an Education and Protection program.
The project will a) support the formal and non-formal education system in camp and urban areas, through the rehabilitation of school buildings/provision of caravans/maintenance to learning spaces, provision of teaching and learning materials, facilitation of training to formal teachers and education facilitators, follow up on children at risk of drop out; b) provision of case management for children at risk, including ECA, structured psycho-social sessions, awareness at school and community level on CP issues, support to PTA members training.
The project will continue the activities already established in IDP camp and activate services in new urban areas.
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the Coordination team, define and plan project objectives and priorities, identifying humanitarian needs, analysing context and humanitarian issues at stake, risks and constraints and calculating human and financial needs.
Coordinate, in close collaboration with Country Programme Coordinator, Program Manager and relevant Technical Coordinators (Education and Protection) operations, strategic growth and strong external and internal representation in order to efficiently ensure the goals and improve targeted population’s conditions and humanitarian situation.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Together with Coordination and project team, evaluate needs by identifying the population’s status, by analysing the context (environment, actors involved, negotiations for access etc.) and associated risks and constraints in order to define priorities and projects goals and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed
- Preparing regularly update of project activities work-plan and related financial plan, ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with INTERSOS and donor guidelines and in line with the project and overall integrated health-protection strategy
- Steer and supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the programmes in collaboration with the team, by collecting information and comparing it with the objectives, schedule in order to monitor progression and early detect deviations and propose corrections
- Provide reporting to the SMT on project’s evolution and propose corrections if needed
- Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and file them) on its development, in order to broadcast INTERSOS achievements and improve awareness
- Monitor financial supervision of expenditure
- Supervise all procurement and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, in order ensure efficiency and early detect deviations and its causes
- Produce monthly internal specific report and elaborate mid-term and final report according to donors rules and regulation and INTERSOS Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection
- Ensure accurate and constant data collection and reports are submitted in a timely manner for all activities within the project
- Periodic field visit to the project locations to ensure the quality of the intervention in compliance with the internal and donors’ standard
- Represent INTERSOS within project limits proactively participating in relevant technical coordination meetings, cluster meetings and working groups. In close consultation with the Program Coordinator, develops institutional contacts with local government and national partners at project’s level (civil society, civil and military authorities, NGOs, non-state actors,
- In coordination with the HR department and relevant Coordinators, plan and organise the organizational charts, distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their comprehension of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
- Provide adequate feedback to Ministry of Education/Department of Education representative, UN agencies and donors as well as with media in order to obtain all information and agreements necessary for the integration of INTERSOS ’s programmes in the local context and improve the targeted population’s awareness on them
- Supervise the political and humanitarian situation in the project’s region in order ensure that INTERSOS’s charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees, populations, authorities and partners
- Propose and carry out exploratory missions and rapid assessment related to INTERSOS strategy in the country, according to SMT guidance, in order to better comprehend context, priorities, constraints and population needs and design new project proposals
- Inform the field team on the guidance given by the SMT, promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules
- Supervise full implementation of safety protocols in order to ensure safe working conditions for the project staffs
- S/He responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
- S/He responsible for ensuring that the project staff, with the support of key protection staff, is duly trained on INTERSOS PSEA/CP Policies and that PSEA/CP Policy roll-out is implemented in the area of responsibility
- Ensure the project’s staff respect INTERSOS rules and regulations, and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics, PSEA and CP Policies
- In coordination with the HR department and relevant Managers, identify training needs, building the capacity, coordinate, supervise and motivate the staffs, supports ad hoc training sessions and on-the-job training, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to INTERSOS values and project’s goals
- Define and regularly update, in close collaboration with the Head of Mission, the Project’s security policy and strategic response to emergencies, reporting any concerning issue, in order to improve risk working conditions and to ensure staff’s full adherence to security rules and protocols. Manages the security in the project, ensuring that all necessary security measures are in place for the safety of INTERSOS staff and its operations
- Guarantees close coordination and interaction with the other Program Managers and Technical coordinators deployed in the mission, in order to ensure consistency and harmonization of modalities of implementation, tools, approaches etc.
Required profile and experience
- Master’s degree in international development or MBA or similar
- Minimum 3 years relevant work experience in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments
- Knowledge of Education and Protection programs
- Previous experience and/or understanding of integrated programming, as well as program approaches is an asset
- Demonstrate experience with different donors’ compliance and reporting
- Arabic is an asset
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative and work autonomously
- Ability to achieve results effectively, considering the need for speed, scale and quality
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships
- Ability to work in austere and hostile environments
- Ability to share accommodation when required
- Holder of a driving license(desirable)
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-29-1437 – Project Manager – Iraq”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.