PSS/GBV Specialist – Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: PSS/GBV Specialist
Duty station: Maiduguri (Nigeria), with sporadic missions to field bases
Starting date: 01/04/2020
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Protection Coordinator
Supervision of: PSS and GBV case workers team leaders
General context of the project
Since 2009, insurgency and armed organised groups activities have crippled North-eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be the most affected, with over 1.3 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 25 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional. In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing an integrated project to address critical gaps in health, nutrition, and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki), Monguno (Monguno), Magumeri (Magumeri and Gajigana), Dikwa (Dikwa), Mobbar (Damasak) and Local Government Area (LGA). The GBV-protection component is a core activity in INTERSOS projects in Nigeria. It includes comprehensive services provision for GBV survivors including specialized case management, individual psychosocial counselling for survivors and individuals showing high levels of distress, group psychosocial support for women and girls, targeted material assistance; Capacity building of specific protection staff responsible for different technical elements of GBV prevention and response, including individual case management of GBV cases, MHPSS, PFA and safe and confidential referral to specialized services, mobile case management and PSS; Security audits, FDGs and regular in depth sector assessments; Including men and boys in promoting protection and GBV prevention.
General purpose of the position
The PSS/GBV Specialist oversees the technical side of protection activities related to GBV and psychosocial support, carries out the project’s framework, ensuring compliance and operational quality, in collaboration with the Protection Coordinator.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Develop, and supervise protection activities implementation in a timely manner
- Ensure adherence to work plans and M&E plans;
- Contribute to timely submission of relevant reports to the leading agency as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Ensure data is collected regularly to respond to agreed indicators;
- Contribute to project proposals development for the GBV sector in Borno State, in close coordination with the technical team, protection focal points, under the supervision of the Coordination of INTERSOS Nigeria;
- Carry out rapid assessments to investigate programming opportunities inside Borno State;
- In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator (PC), capacity building of INTERSOS in PSS and GBV sector to meet GBV and PSS minimum standards in emergency programs. This includes training and mentoring of INTERSOS staff.
- Provide technical support, insights for PSS and GBV activities and standards including via tools and methodologies to national and international staff;
- Guides the implementation of PSS programming with a focus on technical aspects and quality assurance through close monitoring, supervision, and training for national staff.
- Provide technical support to GBV cases documentation through GBVIMS forms/system. Contribute, under PC guidance, to strengthening INTERSOS Nigeria in the protection sector Coordination In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator;
- Ensure 5W matrices are submitted to the State Clusters per the agreed reporting schedule in close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator;
- Represent the program with national authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, donors in Borno State and in Abuja;
- Execute managerial duties related to the employment life cycle for national staff under his/her direct supervision (i.e hiring, training, performance management, coaching, …);
Required profile and experience
- Master’s degree in Psychology, social sciences, development studies, gender and/or women’s studies or other related field and/or Bachelor degree with equivalent MHPSS/GBV working experience.
- Relevant working experience of at least 3 years and previous Humanitarian experience. Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset.
- Demonstrated field activity and deployment in emergency contexts
- Demonstrated proficiency in technical GBV case management and gender analysis. (including MHPSS PFA, GBVIMS)
- Good knowledge of the international standard on GBV and Protection
- Strong Leadership and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills in highly complex emergency operations Knowledge of communication strategies and techniques
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fully proficient in written and spoken English
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to deal with stress and demanding working environment
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-49-1444 – PSS/GBV Specialist – Nigeria”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.