Protection Coordinator – Siria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Duty station: Damascus based with field visits to the area of operations
Starting date: 01/04/2020
Contract duration: 9 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission/Protection Programme Advisor
Supervision of: 1 to 6 National Staff
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. INTERSOS has signed an MoU with SARC in May 2019 to operate in Syria. INTERSOS has a consolidated presence in the region (Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan) whit a multi sector program focused on the humanitarian assistance of Syrian refugees located in urban and rural areas. INTERSOS is now activating its operations in Syria mainly focusing in protection, primary health&nutrition, education sectors with the objective to ensure access to basic services to vulnerable people in different areas of the country. INTERSOS Syria protection strategy is focusing on: a. the promotion of Community Based approaches to enchance the protection environment at community level as well as to build resilience; b. capacity building of relevant stakholders; c) on the provision of services according to the existing referral pathways. INTERSOS is promoting a multisectora approach with a strong protection mainstreaming.
General purpose of the position
In collaboration with the HOM, define and coordinate the implementation of the protection strategy of the mission.
Provide technical guidance and advice to protection staffs ensuring the different components of the programme are delivered according to internal guidelines and in line with international standards and principles, in order to achieve mission’s goals effectively, according to INTERSOS vision and values.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Coordination and support:
- Contribute to design the protection strategy for the mission in line with the specific context and provide technical support and assistance for the implementation of protection related activities
- Responsible for the effective implementation of all Protection projects in the mission and ensuring that all Protection programming is in line with International standards and Best Practices
- Contextualize and adapt internal and global guidelines, developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) based on context and guarantying these are rolled out and known by staff
- Ensure cohesion and harmonization of protection activities and services across the different implementation sites within the mission, taking into consideration the specific socio-cultural patterns of each area.
- Deliver trainings and workshops to non-protection INTERSOS staffs to build skills and knowledge of protection principles and enable them to mainstream protection in different sectors
- Assess regularly protection needs and gaps of target populations in current and prospective areas of operations, periodically update the protection situation analysis and inform the programme teams accordingly
- Create opportunities for experience sharing and learning within the protection team in order to strengthen cooperation and collaboration
- Provide strategic protection analysis and development of periodic trend reports (including aspects of conflict analysis, gender and risk management) from programme experience to improve development, implementation and policy and advocacy activities
- Develop context sensitive M&E tools for effective data collection from projects and regularly analyse the data and produce reports that feed into programming
- Ensure that protection data is collected, archived, processed, analysed and disseminated in ethical modalities, in line with internal data protection protocols
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits and provide support tools to monitor quality of programme implementation
- Identify opportunities for new protection interventions and support assessments and developments of new project proposals
- In coordination with HQ and the Protection Adviser support the development of complaints mechanisms for beneficiaries and make sure complaints are addressed properly
- In coordination with HQ and the Protection Adviser follow up on the implementation of the Child Protection (CP) and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies
Supervision and Staff Management:
- Directly supervise, coach and mentor Protection Staff under her/his line management and conduct regular performance reviews (IRP)
- Review work plans of Protection Staff under her/his line management and define priorities together with Protection Project Managers
- Develop capacity building plan for Protection staff and Support in conducting training and workshops to strengthen their skills on specific protection topics identified
- Organize ad hoc protection meetings with Protection Staff under her/his line management and other relevant project staff to share challenges and priorities and develop action plans to address them
Networking and partnerships:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations
- Maintain effective relationships with al the AoR of the Protection sector and related working groups at national level
- Ensure that Protection Staff under her/his line management maintain productive relationships with sub sector at field level
- Enhance the network with all the relevant protection related stakeholders
- Coordinate with other internal departments to guarantee good collaboration
- Network with Protection Coordinators from other missions to share best practices and resources
Required profile and experience
- BA in relevant field (Social Science, Psychology, Social Work or other fields related to social development and humanitarian work)
- Minimum of five years of relevant implementation experience in protection-related sectors, preferably within an INGO, and three years for higher education degree (Masters/LLM)
- Strong theoretical, technical and practical background in all areas of protection, namely Child protection, GBV, Case Management, PSS and Protection Monitoring
- Advanced diplomatic skills in networking with partners, authorities and donors
- Experience in complex emergency setting involving internal displacements
- Experience in protracted crisis
- Reporting skills, experience with monitoring tools and systems, data collection and analysis
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Arabic is preferable
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team
- Ability to work under pressure, flexibility
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature, proactive
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-53-1425 – Protection Coordinator – Syria”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.