Deputy Country Director Programmes – Libano
Location: Lebanon, Beirut with travel to field offices
Job Title: Deputy Country Director Programmes
Type of contract: 6 months with possibility of extension (including a 3 months as probation period)
Starting date: 1st of October 2020
Gross salary: To be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Application deadline: 24th August 2020
Application procedure: Send your CV and Cover Letter with reference L5 applying here. Only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
We World GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, We World GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. We World GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the We World GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
We World GVC has been working in Lebanon since 2006 and is now supporting vulnerable population in Lebanon through WASH, shelter, basic assistance and protection interventions aiming at increasing the resilience of the concerned communities, in North Bekaa (Baalbek-Hermel Governorate) and in Akkar.
We work to return dignity to entire communities; we fight poverty and injustice so that the fundamental rights of every person can be recognized. In almost fifty years of activity, we have reached the remotest corners of the world, setting up thousands of sustainable development cooperation projects. During a humanitarian emergency, We World GVC works to rebuild what has been destroyed and to rekindle growth and sustainable development processes. Our interventions aim to increase the population’s resilience, enhancing a community’s capacity to find, within its fabric, the skills and resources necessary to grow in a self-sufficient manner.
Our staff is the key to achieving ambitious goals. With nearly 770 professionals employed and 250 partners, over the past 12 months We World GVC has reached 1.4 million people. The organization’s programmes are co-funded by the most important humanitarian and development aid donors such as EU (DEVCO, EACEA, ECHO, NEAR), United Nations (OCHA, UNHCR, UNDP, UNICEF, WFP, FAO) and individual countries (AICS, JICA, France and Dutch Embassies) as well as by private donors and foundations.
Our programmes rely on highly specialized staff, able to implement tailored methods and practices in order to meet the different needs of beneficiaries and donor requirements. The challenges that characterize the environments we work in are tackled by creating innovative synergies that draw on teamwork, multi-disciplinary experiences and by pairing international and local expertise. Respect for individuals and constancy are essential and inalienable characteristics if operating in contexts requiring strong human and professional talents.
Being part of the We World GVC team means taking part in the development of a dynamic organization where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of our goals and vision.
Within this framework, WeWorld-GVC recruits a Deputy Country Director Programmes. In close collaboration with Country Director (CD), the Deputy Country Director (CDC) prime objectives are to provide leadership and management of the strategic provide leadership and management of the strategic programming, overseeing the strengthening of We World GVC programme development, quality and accountability. The DCD programmes is part of We World GVC senior management team and has direct line management of PMs and technical advisors.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Strategic Direction (10%):
- Collaborate with CD to develop programme strategy and related processes
- Develops long-term vision and strategic planning to achieve significant impact through high quality programming and leadership
- Coordinate and oversee delivery of agreed plans and programmes, integrating humanitarian response and development programmes with policy and advocacy, based on the one programme approach
- Support and maintain strategic alliances and partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders including national and local authorities, donors, multilateral agencies, partners and WW GVC HQ
- In collaboration with country, regional and HQ colleagues, contribute to identify funding opportunities and develop competitive, responsive proposals
Programme Management and Quality Management (55%):
- Provide leadership to WW GVC programming, ensuring support to PMs and Technical advisors and timely communication to CD
- Support technical coordinators in country and ensure links with HQ technical leaders
- Lead on the development of cross-cutting themes in project design and implementation
- Ensure that all programmes are implented in coherence with the country strategy and WW GVC global vision and mission and programmatic and financial donor criteria
- Ensure quality criteria and indicators are monitored and leads to decision making
- Ensure that programme’s context monitoring is done properly and leads to adjustment if needed
- Ensure that programmes’s evaluation recommendations are taken into consideration and that corrective measures are implemented if needed, in close collaboration with MEAL department
- Ensure that human, financial and logistical ressources meet activities completion requirements
- Lead and coordinate project development, and proposal writing
Institutional representation and capitalization (15%):
- Ensure that procedures, tools and and guides are updated and implemented
- Represent WW GVC at higher level coordination fora, including national working groups
- Represent WW GVC with donor and national key stakeholders
- Play a key role on promoting WW GVC as a main actor within its different sectors of intervention
HR Management (20%):
- Supervise and mentor direct line management staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, establishing a supportive environment while emphasizing accountability
- Maintain open and professional relationship with team members, promotinf strong team spirit and providing regular oversight and guidance
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management or related field
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Valid and clean driving license
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in related fields with a focus in the area of WASH and Inclusion
- Relevant experience in Programme Development and proposal writing
- Knowledge of main donors’ policy and procedures (in particular MADAD Trust Fund and AICS)
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage effectively multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
- Ability to work under pressure
- Very flexible, patient and with a positive attitude
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative to complete tasks assigned
- Problem-solver approach with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and creating efficiencies
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Strong commitment to the Mission of We World GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the NGO values and ethical standards; displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Previous experience in the Syrian Crises will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic will constitute a plus