Deputy Country Director Support – Libano
Location: Lebanon, Beirut with travel to field offices
Job Title: Deputy Country Director Support
Type of contract: 6 months with possibility of extension (including a 3 months as probation period)
Starting date: 1st of October 2020
Gross salary: To be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Application deadline: 24th August 2020
Application procedure: Send your CV and Cover Letter with reference L6 applying here. Only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
We World GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, We World GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. We World GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the We World GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
We World GVC has been working in Lebanon since 2006 and is now supporting vulnerable population in Lebanon through WASH, shelter, basic assistance and protection interventions aiming at increasing the resilience of the concerned communities, in North Bekaa (Baalbek-Hermel Governorate) and in Akkar.
We work to return dignity to entire communities; we fight poverty and injustice so that the fundamental rights of every person can be recognized. In almost fifty years of activity, we have reached the remotest corners of the world, setting up thousands of sustainable development cooperation projects. During a humanitarian emergency, We World GVC works to rebuild what has been destroyed and to rekindle growth and sustainable development processes. Our interventions aim to increase the population’s resilience, enhancing a community’s capacity to find, within its fabric, the skills and resources necessary to grow in a self-sufficient manner.
Our staff is the key to achieving ambitious goals. With nearly 770 professionals employed and 250 partners, over the past 12 months We World GVC has reached 1.4 million people. The organization’s programmes are co-funded by the most important humanitarian and development aid donors such as EU (DEVCO, EACEA, ECHO, NEAR), United Nations (OCHA, UNHCR, UNDP, UNICEF, WFP, FAO) and individual countries (AICS, JICA, France and Dutch Embassies) as well as by private donors and foundations.
Our programmes rely on highly specialized staff, able to implement tailored methods and practices in order to meet the different needs of beneficiaries and donor requirements. The challenges that characterize the environments we work in are tackled by creating innovative synergies that draw on teamwork, multi-disciplinary experiences and by pairing international and local expertise. Respect for individuals and constancy are essential and inalienable characteristics if operating in contexts requiring strong human and professional talents.
Being part of the We World GVC team means taking part in the development of a dynamic organization where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of our goals and vision.
Within this framework, We World GVC recruits a Deputy Country Director Support. In close collaboration with Country Director (CD), the Deputy Country Director Support (DCD Support) prime objectives are to provide leadership and management of the support departments including logistics, finance, HR and Area Managers (AM).
Main tasks and responsibilities
Logistic department management (70%)
- Ensure the respect of We World GVC and donor Logistics guidelines (management of purchase, stock, supply, equipment, vehicle) on the mission and put in place relevant procedures and SOP
- Train, coach, technically supervise and provide a logistical support to the different We World GVC offices and Logistic team
- Coordinate the logistics activities all over the mission by being in support and in close collaboration with the project staff and the support staff
- Report on regular basis about all logistics activities within the mission to Country Representative
Supervision of Administration department (10%)
- Supervise Administration department including finance and HR in close collaboration with Administration Manager to ensure HR and financial proper follow up
- Ensure all We World GVC financial and HR procedures are in place
- Ensure all financial and HR donor requirements are met
Supervision of Area Managers (10%)
- Supervise and follow up Akkar and Bekaa AMs in charge of support field teams
- Contribute to context analysis with inputs from AMs
Institutional representation and capitalization (10%)
- Ensure that procedures, tools and guides are updated and implemented
- Represent We World GVC at higher level coordination fora, including national working groups
- Represent We World GVC with donor and national key stakeholders
- Play a key role on promoting We World GVC as a main actor within its different sectors of intervention
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field Logistics or Administration
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Valid and clean driving license
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project
- Strong experience in the related field (minimum 3 years)
- Experience in NGO compulsory, preferably in emergency context and MENA
Skills and Abilities
- Good leadership and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Ability to work under pressure with a great level of personal organisation
- Passionate in the job, very flexible, patient and with a positive attitude
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative to complete tasks assigned
- Problem-solver approach with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and creating efficiencies
- Highly organised and able to work respecting deadlines
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage effectively multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Treats all people fairly without favouritis
- Strong commitment to the Mission of We World GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the NGO values and ethical standards; displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Previous experience Middle East
- Knowledge of the humanitarian context in Lebanon
- Knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic will constitute a plus