Head of Base / Project Manager – Libano
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Base / Project Manager
Duty station: Beirut
Starting date: 16/08/2021
Contract duration: 3.5 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission and Program Coordinator
Supervision of: Base support staff and overall programs oversight
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit, humanitarian aid organization founded in 1992. INTERSOS works towards a world of equality, justice, peace and solidarity, to achieve this INTERSOS helps people to live in dignity and safety, alleviating suffering and meeting their needs. The mission of INTERSOS is to support people, families and communities in areas most effected by crisis around the world, providing crucial assistance to populations in life threatening situations, in situations of famine and suffering resulting from extreme poverty, disasters, and conflict.
INTERSOS started to work in Lebanon in 2006 to support the Lebanese people affected by the Lebanese-Israeli war. Since 2013 INTERSOS has been supporting the vulnerable populations in Lebanon affected by the Syrian conflict, including both Syrian refugees and affected Lebanese people.
The project in Mount Lebanon (ML) is designed and implemented in accordance with the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan, UNHCR and INTERSOS Protection and Shelter Frameworks. It aims at reinforcing effective protection environment for Syrian refugees and other vulnerable communities in Mount Lebanon providing access to structured and quality services.
The program in the base is composed of different components: Shelter, being the core component of the project), Protection Monitoring, a small Protection GBV component under UNFPA funds.
Compare to 2020, the programming evolved in 2021 with a decrease of protection activities as part of nationalization strategy implemented by UNHCR and an increased focus on Shelter programming (with WaSH integration) as a result of the needs following the Beirut Blast as well as of the successful projects carried out in the second half of 2020 and first half of 2021.
There is a need to increase the base portfolio of donors, following successful experiences as part of the Beirut Blast response as well as linked with the increased needs brought about by the economic crisis affecting Lebanon.
General purpose of the position
The position includes two main components: the management of the UNHCR funded shelter and protection project with a complementing UNFPA grant, and the global supervision of ML base and its daily functioning.
On the project management, the Project Manager is responsible for the overall management, economic and financial administration of the project and for its entire implementation process, ensuring the achievement of its objectives and results, noting that the key component of the program (Shelter) is directly supervised by the Shelter manager.
Specifically, during the period, a key target is represented by working on further expanding and building in terms of new proposal developments and ongoing projects renewal.
In collaboration with the SMT, s/he will be in charge of identifying funding opportunities, arising needs to contribute to project design and proposal writing
As Head of Base, he/she is responsible for the whole coordination and supervision of the support functions (admin/finance, Logistic and procurement, human resources and security) in coordination with relevant departments coordinators.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures an effective planning, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation of the UNHCR and UNFPA funded project’s sub-components (WASH/Shelter, Protection Monitoring) and timely delivery services according to targets set in the project description.
- Guarantees an efficient financial management for the project, in compliance with INTERSOS model and donor regulations
- Conducts regular meetings with program and support (as needed) staff to follow up on project implementation including revision of targets against achievements, identification of gaps in the response in order to define needed adjustments in the implementation
Team Management & Human Resources Management
- Ensures project team management and coordination (in particular coordination between the different projects ongoing in the area of intervention.
- Ensures regular performance evaluation of project staff (national and international, as needed) in line with internal regulations.
- Ensures timely recruitment of national staff, in coordination with relevant support staff, as per INTERSOS policy for staff recruitment.
- Ensures respect of and adherence to INTERSOS rules and regulations, code of conduct and ethical values chart.
- Ensures and proposing capacity-building opportunities for national staff, keeping clear oversight and reporting on trainings attended and conducted by national staff.
Financial Management and procurement
- Prepares and ensures regular update of financial plan,
- Verifies and approves purchase, in line with the budget and the financial and procurement plan.
- Verifies on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spreadsheets (PN): verifying budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the project implementation period.
- Ensures purchases of goods, services, supplies are in line with the relevant INTERSOS procurement guidelines and procurement plan(in particular, he is responsible of the procedures done under UNHCR ML funded project and is supposed to play the role of president of the evaluation committee)
- Verifies the list of expenditures, prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports.
- Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Delivers timely quality reporting on project activities (Monthly, Mid Year, final report project), including findings in terms of impact on individual and communities.
- Provides monthly updates to the Program coordinator about project progress including achievements vs targets using the monitoring tool developed by INTERSOS (PAT)
- In coordination with the M&E Coordinator, contributes to the preparation of the Monitoring and Evaluation plan
Project Strategy, reporting and planning
- Contributes to the formulation of new projects as well as of the program strategy for the respective area of intervention
- Ensures a comprehensive vision of the intervention in Mount Lebanon strengthening the complementary of different projects implemented in the area.
- Collaborates with the other HOBs in order to integrate the different intervention in the same long term strategy.
Coordination and representation
- Establishes and managing relations pertaining to project activities, with relevant stakeholders, local authorities, relevant donors and institutions.
- Ensures INTERSOS representation through participation to relevant IA coordination forum in Mount Lebanon
- Proactively participates and represents INTERSOS in relevant working groups (i.e. inter-agency and other relevant working groups) at the regional level (Mount Lebanon).
- Proactively engages in bi-lateral meetings with other INGOs and NGOs active in relevant sectors and geographical areas to avoid duplication, ensure coordination and referral and work for complementary efforts.
- Ensures systematic information and update sharing with the Programme Coordinator and relevant colleagues.
- Ensures coordination of support functions (i.e. administration, logistics, security, HR) at Base level.
- Ensures follow up on security related matters at the Base level in Mount Lebanon for all projects and staff (as per INTERSOS Lebanon) in coordination with the Liaison and Security officer
- Ensures support to the international missions deployed in Mount Lebanon area from HQ and other missions (Jordan), including accommodation, logistic support and security advice.
- Acts as responsible for the Main Office and Guest House including follow up on the the security location, maintenance, finalization of the contract.
- Collaborates with the other HoB in order to integrate the different intervention in the same long-term strategy.
- Ensures regular update of the Comprehensive Planning Process (CPP) as requested by the Head of Mission.
Contributes to the operationalization of risk prevention and mitigation measures set in the CPP.
Required profile and experience
- Master degree in Refugee law, International Human Rights Law, Forced
- Migration and Refugee Studies, Gender studies or other relevant to the position
- At least 4 years in humanitarian assistance and 2 years of international relief and emergency experience in senior (Field Coordination and up desirable) positions in a multicultural environment, preferably in emergency setting
- Previous experience in the Middle East region (desirable)
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, with experience in supporting emergency responses, access and security analysis and management
- Background in protection and human rights emergency projects, especially in SGBV and Child Protection is desirable
- Knowledge of INTERSOS work modalities and procedures is desirable
- Knowledge of UNHCR procedures is an asset
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and quick adaptability and flexibility in stressful environment
- Ability to manage human, technical, administrative and financial resources.
- Ability to write quality reports, proposal and program plans
- Perfect knowledge of all the phases of the PCM.
- Ability to work in partnership with local organizations
- Fluency in English, spoken and written;
- Arabic is desirable
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads
- Excellent diplomacy skills
- Ability to delegate and work in team
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Adaptability to changing work environment and possible volatile security situation
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Good computing skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/60d5d4d6ce52d6002187eb02/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-34-1978– Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the irst interview.