Country Finance Coordinator – Ucraina
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Country Finance Coordinator
Duty station:Lviv, Vinnitsa
Starting date: 04/04/2022
Contract duration: 6 months renewable
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 1 national finance officer, 1 national HR officer
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
Since the beginning of the war, over 2 700 000 people have crossed Ukraine’s Western borders to date. But IDPs are still fleeing Eastern and Central Ukraine through the evacuation trains and, as the situation deteriorates in central and southern Ukraine, more waves are expected, of people either looking for a safe shelter or for a safe passage.
To help, the city of Lviv has become a refuge hub for people fleeing. The municipality is already struggling: the city has no more accommodation at its disposal and prices have considerably risen to the point that accommodation in hotels stands at around 170 EUR per night, 3 times more than the average price.
To cope with the situation and scale up the support still needed, the municipality has thus reorganised the properties at its disposal and identified further locations to be used as shelters and is in the process of assigning them to the management of local organisations. The funds for equipping and managing the very same shelters are running low, and the local organisations identified lack in resources, skills and manpower.
Within this situation hospitals are overwhelmed and have long passed their normal capacities. While the service provision still copes, the spaces for hosting patients and their families during air attack alarms are running short.
General purpose of the position
- The Country Finance Coordinator is responsible for the technical implementation of all accounting and financial activities of the mission and its projects. He/she will support the Head of Mission in completing the establishment of the mission’s financial department, including the preparation of the mission’s SoPs, and will be responsible for the management of the mission’s financial department to ensure the correct and efficient management of financial resources, in accordance with the organization’s and donors’ procedures.
- Ensure the development of financial data, budget verification and financial planning. Verify the quality of supporting documents and prepare project financial reports with the support and supervision of the Regional Finance Coordinator.
- Is responsible for managing and verifying all financial processes of the mission, improving it and ensuring compliance with the organization’s procedures manual.
- He/she is responsible for the management and oversight of staff contracts and regulations in accordance with national policies and laws.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Financial and administrative control tasks
- Register transactions in PN (Prima Nota)
- Regularly update and manage NPW (financial tool)
- Is responsible for the administration of the cash account, ensuring compliance with the approved budget
- Support the Head of Mission in the allocation of shared costs/indirect costs in budgets
- Support the Head of Mission in preparation of budgeting for new proposals and concept notes, with regular interactions with funding agencies with short and unexpected requests
- Ensure the correct processing of the budget, verifying conformity and consistency of expenditure items, as well as compliance with existing procedures
- Assess new administrative needs in relation to estimated activities
- Support in the preparation of budget modification for different projects throughout the year
- Prepare interim and final financial reports and submit it to the Head of Mission and the Regional Financial Coordinator for approval
- Update the economic and financial situation of the mission and related projects for expenditures, appropriations, available cash and liquidity
- Support the Head of Mission in the preparation, monitoring and management of the structural expenditure file
- Ensure the correct monitoring of the budget of the mission and related projects for expenditure, appropriations, available cash and liquidity
- Ensure the correct processing of the budget, verifying the conformity and consistency of the expenditure items, as well as the compliance with the procedures in force
- Check that the inventory and related documents are maintained
- Update the list of reliable suppliers
- Upload to the platform the financial reports signed by the Head of Mission and submitted to the partners
- Prepare and carry out in-country audits and transmit to HQ the documents for all projects to be audited
- Provide the Regional Finance Officer with official documentation on individual projects and contracts
Compliance with internal and external donor procedures
- Ensure compliance with INTERSOS and donor procedures in all financial and administrative aspects of the mission, including the drafting of mission work plans to ensure the correct implementation of these procedures
- Establish, organise and manage the administrative files of the mission and on-site projects, based on the criteria defined by the Protocols and the indications of the Regional Finance Coordinator
- Support the preparation of the internal and external audit
- Purchases of goods, works and services:
- Ensure proper preparation and execution of procurement processes for goods, works and services and compliance with Intersos and donor procedures
- Verify expenditure/procurement commitments and finances
- Verify that procurement expenditures and commitments are in line with budget availability and level of expenditure (IMP)
- Prepare the payroll following the application of the INTERSOS procedure and the requirements of Labour law
- Support in the payment of salaries
- Manage the local personnel register, subdivided by project. Submit documentation for tax and social security payments due to the relevant authorities
- Ensure proper cash management in the mission and at base level
- Assume responsibility for the administration of the cash account
- Manage the mission’s bank accounts and provide the Regional Financial Coordinator with monthly bank statements and bank reconciliations
- Provide the Regional Financial Coordinator with monthly cash reconciliations
- Any other task requested by the Head of Mission and the Regional Finance Coordinator
Required profile and experience
University degree in management and finance or other similar areas.
Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar position
- People management skills and ability to work in a team
- Sense of organization, management and planning;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy and partnership approach
- Flexibility and ability to work in a difficult context, under pressure and in an often uncomfortable environment Languages English, Russian/Ukrainian
- Spirit of adaptation to simple living conditions and subject to safety constraints
- Ability to communicate and work in a team and in a multicultural context
- Respect for INTERSOS values/mission
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.