INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Head of Mission da inserire nella sua operatività in Sudan del Sud . Durata 24 mesi. Scadenza candidature 10/01/2023
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Mission
Duty station: Juba, South Sudan with frequent travels to field locations
Starting date: 15/05/2023
Contract duration: 24 months
Reporting to: Regional Director of Easten & Central Africa
Supervision of: Mission SMT Staff
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been present in South Sudan since 2006.
INTERSOS main office is in the capital Juba, with several field base in Jonglei State (Bor, Ayod, Nyirol, Akobo and Pibor), in Upper Nile State (Malakal), in Unity State (Leer & Mayendit) and Eastern Equatoria (Kapoeta South and East, Torit and Magwi). After the 2013 conflict, INTERSOS started to operate within UNMISS PoCs in Juba (1 & 3), Bor, Bentiu and Malakal. In 2021 the PoCs will be declared IDPs camps.
Currently supporting INTERSOS South Sudan: AICS – Italian cooperation, OCHA – SSHF, UNICEF, UNHCR, SV (Stichting Vluchteling), RRF- IOM.
The main areas of intervention are:
- Protection: prevention and response to GBV and Child Protection in Jonglei State, Eastern Equatoria and Upper Nile State. These activities are addressed to children, women, youth and men and involve case management, including psychosocial support. Child Protection and GBV; referral and family tracking for unaccompanied minors. INTERSOS is one of the few agencies promoting EMAP training packages and a community based approach.
- Education: INTERSOS is focussed on promoting education as a part of emergency response. The program covers the main areas affected by the conflict: Jonglei, Unity, Upper Nile and Western Equatoria States. The program includes both structural and non-structural interventions: construction/rehabilitation of learning spaces, kit distribution, training of teachers and PTA on children rights, psychological support, and risk mitigation.
- NFIs: these activities involve assessment and identification of new IDPs, mainly in the most hard-to-reach areas within Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile States, emergency kit distribution and kit use monitoring, and construction/rehabilitation of emergency shelter.
- WASH: construction/rehabilitation of water facilities (wells, pipe schemes), rehabilitation of latrines, sanitation and hygiene promotion in Eastern Equatoria State.
General purpose of the position
The general purpose of the post is to represent INTERSOS in South Sudan with all relevant actors and in the main fora, supervise and coordinate the general implementation of INTERSOS programs in the country and act in accordance with specific directions from and supervision of the Regional Director.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders. A main focus will be given to new target Donors in Country
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities.
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor the evolution of the security context in strict collaboration with the Security Global Advisor and Regional Director.
- Monitor the respect of the planning and security plans and SOPs for all the INTERSOS staff in the mission.
- Define country priorities based on context and needs analyses
- Monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new interventions.
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations – and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects -ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with INTERSOS and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures.
- Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention.
- Define the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts.
- Define, in strict collaboration with the Regional direction, the strategies related to the sustainability of the overall mission and guarantee a constant follow up of all the financial, programme and action decisions taken in relation to the strategy.
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings. Manage the safety and security of the operation in the country.
Required profile and experience
University degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related fields
- At least 5 years of professional work experience as Head of Mission or other management/coordination positions in humanitarian/development contexts
- Proven experience in management of UN, USAID and ECHO funds
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work
- Ability to analyze and integrate information from a wide range of sources
- Ability to administer funds, logistics and human resources
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Mastery of IT tools (MS Office package, internet, e-mail, etc.)
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative and work autonomously
- Ability to achieve results effectively, considering the need for speed, scale and quality
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships
- Manage conflicts in a constructive way
- Support and advise colleagues and contribute to their development
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Able to work independently, as well as being a strong team player
Excellent written and spoken English
- Optimistic personality
- Ability to deal with hardship
- Shows flexibility, availability and adaptability
- Proactive and collaborative approach
- Ability to deal with restricted living conditions.
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.