Background of the Organisation: CIAI – Italian Association for Aid to Children is an Association founded in 1968. CIAI promotes the recognition of the child and defend its fundamental human rights. In the communities in which it operates, CIAI takes care of the most vulnerable children by ensuring their protection, psycho – emotional well-being, social inclusion. CIAI is a non-profit, non-partisan and non-confessional organization, adopting as a methodological approach the one based on human rights.
Sector: Child Protection
ONG: CIAI – Italian Association for Aid to Children
Donor: Department for International Development (DFID), UK
Fund: Girls’ Education Challenge – Leave No Girl Behind (GEC-LNGB)
Project: CHANGE: Improving Access to Education in Ethiopia for Most Marginalized Girls (“CHANGE project”)
Collaboration Starting date: 1st April 2019 approximately
Length of contract: 12 months with possibility of extension.
Location: Main location is Addis Ababa. Travels within the Country are foreseen.
Background of the Project:
The CHANGE project lasts five years (from November 2018 to October 2023) reaching married, out-of-school adolescent girls from four selected Ethiopian regions: Afar (Awsi), Oromia (Borana), SNNPR (Gedeo) and Amhara (South Wollo). The project will address the underlying barrier that prevents girls from leading healthy, safe, and educated lives: their low social status.
Leading Organisation is PIN-People in Need; project partners are CIAI-Italian Association for Aid to Children, CWW-Concern Worldwide, Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation and GPDI- Gayo Pastoral Development Initiative, Welthungerhilfe and FSA-Friendship Support Association.
Within the consortium CIAI is the technical partner in the child protection field.
Minimum Qualifications and skills:
- Degree in social sciences and/or international cooperation or related field;
- Post-graduation in Child Protection and/or international cooperation;
- At least three years’ experience in managing cooperation projects in Africa, with preference on child protection;
- Knowledge of Child Rights and PCM;
- Knowledge and practice of MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning);
- Knowledge and practice of the Safeguarding of Children and Vulnerable Adults approach;
- Excellent inter-personal/communication skills and ability to communicate effectively and develop new partnerships;
- Experience in community mobilization, knowledge and interest in community empowerment;
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative;
- Ability to adapt in simple contexts and remote locations;
- Outstanding organizational skills and high level of attention to detail;
- Ability to resolve conflicts effectively;
- Ability to plan and manage the project Budget, administrative and financial issues;
- Sensitivity and predisposition to intercultural dialogue and teamwork;
- Excellent knowledge of English and Italian working languages;
- Computer literate: knowledge of Microsoft Office Computer Package (Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc ) and Internet user;
- Proven knowledge and experience in transferring skills to the local staff.
Other qualifications and skills desired
- Ability to communicate Amharic;
- Experience working in Ethiopia;
- Previous experience in management of projects funded by DFID and knowledge of DFID procedures.
Summary of the Position:
This is a key position within CIAI Ethiopia, demanding significant international experience, professional maturity and balance, creativity, vision and commitment.
The Project Manager will be responsible for:
- Organizing, planning, leading and coordinating the implementation of activities according to the project document. Is responsible for the periodic verification of the technical reports on the progress of the project and on the impact assessment.
- Liaising and collaborating with the leading Organisation and International partners, with local authorities and local partners of the project, in coordination with the CIAI Country Representative.
- Supervising the local development of planning, implementing, reporting and evaluating of project activities, ensuring that they are compatible with the design management tools used by the NGO and respect the rules set by the donor
- Managing the project equipment on site and the human resources involved in the project. If necessary, select local staff together with the CIAI Country Representative and provide technical support to the project team for the integrated management of the project cycle. Manages the purchase of materials and equipment necessary for the implementation of the project, respecting the budget expenditure items.
- Maintaining the coordination between field and CIAI Ethiopia Coordination Office in Addis Ababa.
- Ensuring the correct administrative management and production of periodic and final reports of the project, in compliance with the procedures and rules of the NGO and the donor, also supporting the field staff.
- Assuring that CIAI and Donor’s procedures (also related to the Child Protection policy and Code of Conduct, Safeguarding, Security procedures, etc…) are applied and respected by all project staff;
- Correctly implement the “Monitoring, Evaluation, accountability and Learning – MEAL” project procedures;
- Track and maintain up-to-date project information;
- Prepare narrative reports on the project and thematic related in-country developments;
- Prepare financial reports in collaboration with CIAI Administration and Finance Addis Ababa and CIAI HQ Financial Reporting Unit;
- Assure that fund requests are timely prepared and sent to respond to implementation needs;
- Prepares project proposals consistent with the fund raising needs of the project and other thematic related actions;
- Is responsible for the human resources’ management of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team, which includes supervision and coaching of national staff;
- Follow-up of implementation plan and ensure the timely compilation of progress reports.
The Project Manager will interact with other stakeholders such as local authorities, public structures, local leaders and other Organizations working in the area.
This position will be based in Addis Ababa. Travels to the project’s target areas in the 4 Regions could be foreseen.
The Project manager reports to CIAI Country Representative in Addis Ababa.
30 days of probation period after the person will start the collaboration in Ethiopia are foreseen.
The Project Manager will mainly work in the CIAI Coordination Office in Addis Ababa, with other national and international colleagues and under the supervision of the CIAI Country Representative in Ethiopia.
- Salary defined by the Budget agreed on with the donor and leading Organisation;
- Insurance, 1 flight Addis/Europe during the contract period, VISA costs are paid by CIAI.
How to apply:
Qualified and interested Applicants are invited to send their CV, Cover Letter and 3 contacts for references to email@example.com mentioning “ CHANGE2018” before 24/03/2019. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIAI is a Child safe organization. The selected candidate will be asked to sign the CIAI Child Safeguarding and Protection Policy and related documents, providing in advance also his/her criminal record.