Education in Emergency Specialist – Siria
Type of contract: 12 months consultancy, based on around 30 days of mission and 150 hours of home based backstopping
Starting date: 1st of May 2019
Send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com reference S7 Education in Emergency Specialist – Home based and mission in Syria, only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline
GVC is an Italian NGO founded in 1971 active in international development and humanitarian aid projects. We work to return dignity to entire communities; we fight poverty and injustice so that the fundamental rights of every person can be recognised. In almost fifty years of activity, we have reached the remotest corners of the world, setting up thousands of sustainable development cooperation projects.
During a humanitarian emergency, GVC works to rebuild what has been destroyed and to rekindle growth and sustainable development processes. Our interventions aim to increase the population’s resilience, enhancing a community’s capacity to find, within its fabric, the skills and resources necessary to grow in a self-sufficient manner.
Our staff is the key to achieving ambitious goals. With nearly 770 professionals employed and 250 partners, over the past 12 months GVC has reached 1.4 million people. The organisation’s programmes are co-funded by the most important humanitarian and development aid donors such as EU (DEVCO, EACEA, ECHO, NEAR), United Nations (OCHA, UNHCR, UNDP, UNICEF, WFP, FAO) and individual countries (AICS, JICA, France and Dutch Embassies) as well as by private donors and foundations.
GVC- Civil Volunteer Group, has been working in Syria since 2011 and is currently carrying emergency projects in WASH and Education sectors funded by Italian Embassy, UNICEF and ECHO. Within this framework, GVC recruits an Education in Emergency Specialist with strong experience in promoting and managing emergency programmes and disaster/development linkages with specific experience in remote management capacities and tools.
The Education in Emergency Specialist will be responsible for the management of GVC’s humanitarian programmes and staff in Syria and will be under the direct line management of GVC’s Syria Country Director.
Main tasks and Responsibilities
The Education in Emergency Specialist has overall Technical responsibility over Educational operations. She/he will be responsible for the quality and effectiveness of GVC’s Education and emergency response. The main purpose of the assignment is to consolidate and expand GVC presence in Syria in Education sector.
Programme Development: (35%)
- In collaboration with Country Director and GVC HQ sector coordinators, develop and implement an appropriate and effective strategy related to the Education in Emergency Sector, setting clear objectives and indicators.
- Support in developing new proposals in collaboration with Country Director and GVC HQ sector coordinator, involving a multisector approach, expanding the intervention of GVC in Education in Emergency sector
- Provide strategic and technical guidance on key components of GVC’s Education work to foster good practice and ensure that humanitarian minimum standards are met.
Project Management: (35%)
- Support in planning of project activities, ensuring effective delivery in line with donor requirements and GVC’s mission
- Prepare internal tools to ensure effective monitoring and information flows.
- Provide high quality editing and formatting for Education in emergency response related documents for external audience
Capacity Building and Training: (30%)
- Identify learning and training needs for technical and management staff on Education in Emergency
- Prepare training material and develop capacity building modules on Education in emergency
- Train and mentor technical and management staff on Education in Emergency
- Perform other responsibilities as agreed with the Country Representative
- Minimum 6 years’ of relevant working experience in related fields.
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Previous work experience with international NGOs
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies on Education (ECHO, UN Agencies, EU, Italian Cooperation).
- Extensive Education project development and proposal writing experience.
Education and skills:
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations.
- Integrity in line with the NGO values and ethical standards.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Computer skills, in particular MS Office package
- Good communication and capacity building skills
- Ability to perform under stress condition
- Ability to work in remote backstopping
- Capacity to autonomously work and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
Will constitute a plus:
- Previous experience in Syria or in the Syrian crisis context will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of French and Arabic will be considered an asset
- Valid driving license