Operation Manager – Etiopia
CCM (Comitato Collaborazione Medica) is an Italian NGO operating in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda, specialized in health-related projects’ implementation, either in humanitarian and development contexts.
CCM has conducted several interventions in Ethiopia since 1982. CCM is present in different areas of the country: it is carrying out interventions in Amhara, in Tigray, Somali Region and in Oromia. From a long-term perspective, the organization’s projects are focused on strengh the local capacities supporting the national health system to implement the health policies and strategies and promote health a community level. CCM projects adopt an approach based “on continuity of care” and they are focused in particular on sexual and reproductive health, maternal, neonatal, child and adolescent health.
Most of CCM’s projects in Ethiopia are funded by Italian Agency for Development Cooperation – AICS and they are mainly aimed to address the needs of vulnerable people from high migration areas, increasing access and quality of health services provided to them. Additionally, the current situation of Ethiopia and nearby countries has recently determined a high number of IDPs and refugees. In this regard, CCM is committed to (I) ensure the emergency response to the current humanitarian crisis; and (ii) preserve the already fragile health system from a possible deterioration and collapse due to the humanitarian crisis.
For further information on the organization, please visit the website at www.ccm-italia.org.
Location: 50% Addis Ababa, 50% in the field’ sites requested
Contract duration: 6 months (possible extension)
Start date of contract: as soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 16th June 2019
Duties and Responsibilities
The Operation Manager – reporting hierarchically to the CR – and technically collaborating with the Country Health Advisor, the Country Administrator and Procurement Officer – will provide the managerial lead of the PMs to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of the project activities according to the following job duties and responsibilities:
Project Implementation Follow-up:
- Supervise Project Managers in the field and provide support to project implementation through trouble shooting and eliminating blocking points;
- Monitor budget burn rates to avoid under/over spending and output achievement, ensuring a timely completion of projects through regular coordination meetings with the PMs;
- Ensure accurate budget forecasting and efficient cash flow management;
- Ensure that relevant project information are up-to-date and available for timely and accurate reporting purposes;
- Ensure coordination and complementarity amongst projects within the area of intervention;
- Conduct frequent field visits to project sites to assess activities and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Advise Project Managers to adapt projects according to monitoring and evaluation findings;Networking, positioning and general representation:
- Participate in donor meetings and communicate relevant information to PMs, Country Rep, and other relevant staff;
- When necessary, establish regular working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, clusters, working groups, consortia, etc. at area level;
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with local authorities and where necessary non-state actors and obtain required authorizations and buy-in for CCM’s activities at area level
- Proposal development
- Support the Project Development Department in proposal conceptualisation (problem statement, log frame) within the framework of the country, regional and global strategy;
- Contribute to budget design ensure budget needs at area level have been taken into consideration.
- Management and Internal Coordination
- Ensure that PMs in the area understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities related to area operations and link with the capital Head of Departments
- Promote team building, productivity and staff welfare
- Mentor and support the PMs to build capacities, and improve efficiency and performance, and follow career management
- a) Facilitate interdepartmental communication and information sharing for an effective implementation of project activities at both head and field level offices
- Relevant education in a field such as international development, emergency operations, humanitarian programming;
- Extensive project management experience (management, planning, staff development) in emergency and/or development programmes;
- At least five years relevant work experience;
- Experience in identifying and elaborating new project proposals an asset
- Proven capabilities in leadership and management required;
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure;
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English;
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms;
- High capacity to cope with stress also in volatile and highly insecure contexts;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Fluency of both written and spoken English.
How to apply
Please, email your resume (PDF- max 4 pages) with three references ‘details to email@example.com
Any CV longer than four (4) pages or in different format will not be taken in consideration due to the high level of applications.
Compulsory for European applicants. Please, complete the CV with the Privacy European Authorization 679/2016
Please, specify in the email subject the vacancy title as follow Operation Manager_Ethiopia
Any email without a clear title, will not be taken in consideration due to the high level of applications.
Please, note every resume will be evaluated and only short-listed candidates will be contacted