Project Manager and Sofala District Supervisor – Mozambico
Helpcode Italia Onlus is looking for a special, dynamic, creative canidate, able to see opportunities where others can only see problems, interested in developing projects with the aim to give innovative responses to the major humanitarian crisis in the world.
The Sofala district supervisor directly refers to the Director of Programs and works closely with the Country Manager, the Country Desk, the Administrative manager and with the headquarters’ senior management in Genoa.
Location: Gorongosa, with regular trips to Beira
Contract details: fixed term contract – 12 months
Payments: remuneration will be proportional to the candidate’s previous experience and aligned with international donors’ guidelines.
Begin of Contract: January 2020
The Sofala district supervisor will also coordinate the project “Culture and Peace hand-in-hand for Gorongosa Development”, funded by the European Commission and contributing to the organization presence’s development in Sofala district. He/She is furthermore in charge of the coordination of Gorongosa and Beira Helpcode field offices and of the related human, financial and logistic resources, optimizing their deployment for the realization for institutional activities.
The project promotes a culture of peace, civil coexistence and respect for the environment in the District of GG: these elements are the indispensable preconditions to promote a more just, inclusive and sustainable local development process, which is also fair from the social point of view. The dissemination and consolidation of the culture of peace, therefore, is not only an objective in itself, but is intended as a means to strengthen both the associations present and the communities in the intervention area in order to promote a sustainable use of the environmental heritage. This is to be intended as a cultural heritage, where to develop local and eco-sustainable tourism, enhance local skills and create decent work opportunities for women and men, with particular eye to young people. A peaceful and civil coexistence lays the foundations for the enhancement of resources, knowledge and local cultures and for starting a model of sustainable and inclusive economic and social growth.
Expected results include:
- The consolidation and integration of the culture of peace and civil society and respect for the environment in school activities and in the life of the communities.
- The improvement of the capacities of the members of associations of small producers in the District of GG and of the communities of the Park buffer zone
- The increase in income-generating activities and the creation of new job opportunities for young people and women in the field of ecotourism, the environment and traditional artisan production.
This position requires leadership, collaboration, representation, communication and risk management skills as well as previous professional experience in building and developing partnership networks. The selected person is responsible for the general management of the aforementioned project, coordinating relations with partners, managing financial and material resources and personnel. He/she ensures the design and implementation of high quality projects in the Province of Sofala as well as the efficient management of public subsidies and private funds in accordance with donor and office procedures; he also collaborates with the country manager, with the desk and with other project managers in the implementation of the Helpcode institutional mandate in Mozambique. He/she takes part to coordination meetings held in the Province of Sofala in the sectors of interest of Helpcode, thus representing the organization before national and international institutions in the Province.
Terms of reference
The following functions shall be carried out:
- Representing the project partnership with governmental and non-governmental institutions
- Drafting the operational plan
- Defining the general budget in support of the operational plan
- Coordinating the planned interventions in the territory
- Managing the human, financial and logistic resources optimizing their use in pursuing the project’s objectives
- Ensuring the realization of medium- and final term data collection in the communities and the implementation of the control and monitoring system
- Taking part to coordination meetings at the provincial level promoted by government institutions, NGOs and international organizations in order to increase the effectiveness of network interventions in coordination with the Country representative
- Ensuring a good management of the project communication, towards the Genoa office, the donor, the reference institutions, the project partners and the beneficiaries – coherently with the guidelines for EU communication – and punctually prepares the contributions required for institutional communication of the activities carried out in the country, interacting with the Communication Managers for the promotion of activities and campaigns in favor of fundraising
- Ensuring a punctual financial and narrative reporting of the activities carried out in compliance with the provisions of the donor and the Genoa office
- Carrying forward relations with the Mozambican delegation of the European Commission in coordination with the Project Unit Manager, the Country desk, the Country Representative
- Taking part to the team work of the Mozambican headquarters of Helpcode, guaranteeing the passage of information and participating in the process of identifying funding opportunities and writing project proposals.
- Ensuring the proper functioning of the offices of Beira and Gorongosa and coordinating the management of Helpcode resources (human, logistic, financial) in the Province of Sofala, optimizing their use for the implementation of institutional activities in a spirit of full cooperation with the Country Manager
- Managing relationships and developing project proposals in collaboration with the project sector of the headquarters and with partners
- Ensuring the implementation of policies and procedures in the Province of Sofala, correctly applying the HELPCODE procedures and code of conduct.
- Project Cycle Management and preparation of narrative and financial reports
- Problem Solving
- Ability to plan and implement strategies, including the safety & security ones
- Capacity and aptitude for staff training
- Excellent command of Portuguese and English, knowledge of Italian is a plus
- Autonomy in the management of administrative software, management applications, office applications, online communication tools
- Ability to manage relationships with local authorities, different cultural contexts and a team with diversified skills and experience
- Mastery of PCM, of remote monitoring and supervision methods
- Ability to analyze the context, data collection and design creativity
- Excellent budget management and financial planning skills
- Knowledge of European Union, ECHO, AICS and UN procedures
- Flexibility, curiosity, versatility.
- Master’s degree or equivalent degree in Project management, International Cooperation, Political Science, Economics, Agricultural Sciences, Law or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of international cooperation and / or complex emergencies.
- Proven design experience for the calls of major international donors (EU; UN agencies, AICS, ECHO, etc.)
- Preparation for leadership and group work management
- Maturity in the management of situations of tension and ability to work under pressure and on different fronts simultaneously
- Ability to solve problems independently
- Category B drivers license
Means and Instruments
The resources and project tools of the Beira and Gorongosa offices will be available in compliance with the current Helpcode regulations.
In order to apply send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; Reference: SOF2019.
We inform that, due to the high number of applicants, we will be aple to reply only to those candidates complying with the requirements specified in the vacancy.
We believe in change.
A change that always pushes us to do better and to reach new objectives to improve the future.
We give support in growth.
The growth of a child in a healthy family, in a safe school and in a reliable community.
We invest in the future.
A future where we observe, think, and act for long lasting results in children’s lives, starting from today.
We are Helpcode. We do what we say and we say what we do for positive and lifelong changes for each and every child.
Help Code Italia Onlus is an INGO, working since 1988 with development and humanitarian aid projects in different countries in Africa (Tunisia, Libya, Mozambique, DRC Congo) Asia (Nepal, Cambodia), Middle East (Iraq, Yemen). Helpcode finances its projects thanks to the support of 10.000 individual donors in Italy and Switzerland and of Private and Public Institutions at national and international level.
Children Education, well-being and gender equity are the strategic objectives guiding the operations of the organization on the field everywhere.