UPP – Un Ponte Per sta selezionando un/a Medical Advisor Nutrition da inserire nella sua operatività in Siria e Iraq. Durata 3 mesi. Scadenza candidature 31/05/2020
Medical Advisor Nutrition – Siria/Iraq
MEDICAL ADVISOR Nutrition programs in NORTH EAST SYRIA AND IRAQ
Position Title: Medical Advisor
Location: North East Syria or Remote Work in case of lockdown of the Country
Period: 2 months with possible renewals
Closing date of the vacancy: 30th May
Starting date of the project: June 2020
The Medical Advisor (MA) will work under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator in the Health Department of UPP NES Mission to ensure the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the activities related to nutrition, in UPP supported facilities in NES, through the design and the application of a comprehensive Nutrition Programme and related Clinical Protocols or the revision of existing ones.
The MA role is also to advice the Programme Department in the decision-making process and deliver project related documents according to donor requirement, under the supervision of the Programme Manager.
Learn more at: www.unponteper.it
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
The medical advisor will be responsible for:
- Providing technical advice and guidance to Program Department and to Mission Management in the sector of intervention which the advisor is assigned (Nutrition)
- Contributing in the decision-making processes related to the design and implementation of strategies and tools related to the specific sector of intervention (nutrition)
- Designing, planning and ensuring implementation of a community-based Nutrition program and related clinical protocols (in line with recognized international standards), including mandatory screening, detection, management of malnutrition cases and set-up of referral pathways, mainly directed to children under five,
- Advising the functional design and operation of the services in the clinical medical and nursing services, both in emergency and program development,
- Advising and organizing the general clinical services (medical services, community medicine services, mental health, psychosocial support, public health, lab organization etc.) with particular capacity for planning, developing and training of nutrition program in primary care settings
- Advising the organization of the patient counseling services as part of the primary care programs of nutrition linked with Maternal Program, Healthy child program and Chronic diseases program
- Designing and organizing the registration and health care communication programs, and general clinical records and morbidity communication
- Planning and organizing the activities related with nutrition of community medicine, involving, doctors, nurses and Community Health workers (CHWs)
- Advising and organizing the accountability activities of centers and units in front of patients and communities
Providing essential training to medical and non-medical staff in general primary care services, in particular
- related to the delivery of Nutrition Services
- Elaborating M&E data for reporting purpose – Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
- Monitoring the overall functioning of nutrition services and programs in the targeted facilities, meeting the challenges and signaling the gaps and solutions to correct them, through regular field visits (when possible) or by developing and implementing tools for remote monitoring in case physical access is limited
- Supervising the overall work of two UPP local Medical Advisors in charge of monitoring centers’ activities
- Advising and collaborating with the Project Manager in any demand related to his/her area of expertise
- Elaborating and analyzing M&E data for reporting purpose – Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
- Medical degree (Doctor, nurse).
- Minimum of three years professional experience in the primary care services.
- Minimum of two years professional expertise developing nutrition programs
- Accredited experience as trainer or teacher of primary care services in community bases primary care models.
- Accredited experience in setting primary care services in low income countries and or conflictive and far- to-reach areas
- Experience in community medicine and public health activities (specialization and/or master in primary health care management is an asset)
- Experience in planning and implementation of nutrition programs
- Experience in coordination of humanitarian aid projects
- Proven experience as field trainer in primary care area
- Good understanding of the project life cycle management
- Excellent capacity to work in team.
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives.
- Ability to supervise and/or mentor the medical staff.
- Previous work experience in humanitarian field.
- Excellent oral and written English. Arabic is an asset.
- Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, local institutions).
- Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure in stressful environments
During the first three months of contract the Medical Advisor is expected to contribute to the achievement of the following mission objectives:
- To participate in the COVID response in different facilities, within the distribution of roles and area of monitoring organized by the medical coordinator, with special attention to the hazards of comorbidities, acting as external consultant when required
- To increase the quality of nutrition promotion, prevention and treatment of malnutrition in the supporting facilities by:
- Coordination of campaigns and programs to promote healthy nutrition habits, mainly focused in infants , assessing the gaps and challenges in the cultural or social habits that conduct to elevated risk of malnutrition
- Introducing an adequate screening system to check MAM and SAM among infants from 0 to 59 months of age
- Introduce monitoring tools for MEAL and report purposes in agreement with the MEAL department
- Introducing operative protocols in the mentioned health program to be used operatively in the supported facilities
- Design some community awareness programs in the risk of malnutrition among infants to be applied when appropriate
- the MA will present a general evaluation assessment of the Nutrition program implantation in the selected facilities at the end of the 3 month period
In addition, considering that due to actual travel restrictions most or part of the probation period will be likely implemented from remote, the MA is expected to:
- Agree and follow a detailed Work plan, divided on a monthly schedule, in agreement with the Medical Coordinator, the Programme Manager and relevant HQ Desk Officer;
- Prepare and share monthly reports of main activities done and achieved results;
- Prepare and share a final evaluation report on nutrition program in the supported facilities.
The MA will receive the probation period evaluation on the basis of outputs in these areas
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for two professional references to: email@example.com . Please reference; “Medical Advisor NUT” in the subject line of your email application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Prospective candidates should be able to travel in Iraq and Syria upon the same -or better- conditions recognized to holders of Western European passport.