Istituto Oikos (www.istituto-oikos.org) started its work in Milan in 1996 and it now operates in Europe and in the South of the world to promote responsible management of natural resources and spread more sustainable life models as tools for socio-economic development and to fight poverty. The vision of Istituto Oikos is a future in which ecology, economy and equity are integrated, reconciling the needs of men and the environment. The Mission is to contribute to the conservation of ecosystems by promoting development with professionalism, innovation and participation.
Istituto Oikos has been working in Lebanon since 2016, when the programme of the Nubian Ibex reintroduction in the Shouf Biosphere Reserve launched the fruitful collaboration with the local NGO ACS, especially created for the Reserve management. Besides the Nubian Ibex programme, Istituto Oikos is currently running an AICS funded project (2018-2021) on biodiversity conservation and reintroduction of traditional agricultural practices and is enlarging its operation in the sector of biodiversity and natural resources conservation.
Location: Shouf Biosphere Reserve, Lebanon
Salary and level of classification: to be defined based on work experience and qualifications held
Duration: 12 months renewable
Work location: Maasser el-Shouf (Mount Lebanon Governorate) with frequent transfers to Beirut
Collaboration beginning: 1° September 2020
We are looking for a highly motivated person, eager to contribute to the strengthening of the organization in Lebanon. The ideal candidate has a strong motivation for the management of institutional relations and a solid multi-tasking approach, complemented by in-depth knowledge of water resource management in the irrigation/agriculture field in developing countries.
The selected candidate will be leading the implementation of a newly funded EU project on the efficient use of water in agriculture through the introduction of an advanced technological system for irrigation. The project aims at promoting the adoption of an innovative water-saving solution for sustainable irrigation in the development zone of the Shouf Biosphere Reserve. The installation of the innovative system in a specific target area of the Reserve will be accompanied by a strong multi-level training component, addressed to farmers as direct users, to local authorities in charge of water management, and to private sector actors as potential players in the reselling and maintenance of the introduced innovative solution. An extensive awareness plan will complement the action to increase the familiarity with the innovative solution and outscale it at the local, national and regional levels, with the scope of reducing the risks of climate-induced economic losses for local population and avoid freshwater resources depletion. Oikos is the leading manager of the Project and will be supported by: University of Trento for the installation of the innovative solution and the monitoring process; Al-Shouf Cedar Society (ACS) at local level for implementation of the Action and dissemination; Association for Community and Environment (ACE) at local level for the design and installation of the system. The selected person should therefore be able to suitably liaise with a wide range of stakeholders.
Besides the management of the described EU funded project, the candidate will contribute in the definition of Oikos strategy in the country, thus looking for relevant opportunities of public grants and private funds that could fit in the global organization’s strategy. Part of the time of the position will be hence devoted to the mapping of opportunities for program development and to build relationship with potential donors.
This position requires strong leadership skills; representation, communication and risk management abilities as well as professional experience in building and developing partnership networks and in diversifying resources to support ongoing programs.
The main responsibilities will be:
• Manage the implementation of the project, ensuring donor compliance while meeting all technical and program quality standards in accordance with the management procedures of Istituto Oikos and the donor and in coordination with the head office and technical advisors.
• Coordinate the capacity building support to the project team, partners, relevant local authorities and community groups, ensuring coordination with key partners and technical advisors.
• Maintain sound relationships with project partners, beneficiaries and Local Authorities through continuous follow-up and technical support, supporting them through participatory processes.
• Coordinate Oikos’ international and local staff operating in the SBR in collaboration with the main partner ACS, providing the needed coaching and supervision for the staff under her/his direct responsibility.
• Ensure an efficient supervision of the communication and visibility plan, appropriately involving and addressing the different target groups to guarantee the success of the initiative’s goals in terms of dissemination and awareness.
• In collaboration with the Oikos HQ Administrative Office, supervise the economic and financial management of the project and verify that the financial resources are spent accordingly to the project budget.
• Maintain constant contact with the project’s donor and other potential funding bodies, participate in on-site coordination meetings of international agencies, NGOs and clusters in the water sector, maintaining a steady relationship with local administrations and partners in order to identify new opportunities for intervention and ensure the feasibility of the promoted actions.
• Contribute to the definition of new projects and a long-term Country strategy for the area of intervention.
• Follow and enforce the internal procedures of Istituto Oikos and ensure the proper use of the facilities and equipment available on site.
• In-depth knowledge and experience in International Cooperation issues (at least 5 years of Project Management experience in similar contexts).
• Strong managerial skills (at least 1 year experience as coordinator of local offices).
• Good knowledge of water resource management in the irrigation/sustainable agriculture field (Water for irrigation, water efficiency, irrigation, advanced technological systems, etc.).
• Degree-level qualification in water supply/sanitation, environmental sciences, agronomy, hydraulic engineering or similar will be preferred.
• Proven experience in international cooperation projects, preferably in the sectors of water irrigation systems, water engineering, water infrastructure and/or water supply, including familiarity with design and preparation of tender documents in the mentioned sectors.
• Proven ability to design project proposals for international donors and a proactive attitude in the research for funding opportunities and partnerships.
• Good level of organizational autonomy and ability to manage economic and human resources.
• Excellent ability to plan, manage and monitor activities.
• Demonstrated experience leading and managing teams.
• Excellent knowledge of English and fluency in Italian.
The following will be preferred:
• Experience in managing EU funded programs
• Experience in managing multi-stakeholder projects, preferably in the water and/or agriculture sector
• Previous work experience in Lebanon or the Middle East.
To apply, please send your CV, letter of motivation (maximum 1 page) with authorization to process personal data pursuant to articles 13 and 14 of G.D.P.R. (General Data Protection Regulation EU Regulation 2016/679 Legislative Decree 196/2003) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 15 July 2020, although Istituto Oikos reserves the right to close the selection before the deadline in case the suitable candidate is identified. Indicate in the object: PM/LB/20
NOTE: Only short selected candidates will be contacted for a first interview and subsequently updated on the status of the selection. This selection respects the principle of equal opportunities (Law 903/77).