Protection Project Manager (CP / WPE) – Siria
Position Title: Protection Project Manager
Location North East Syria (NES) / Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI)
Period: up to 12 months
NEW Closing date: 11 October 2020 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting Date: 1 November 2020
Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an international humanitarian organization, based in Italy. Originally named Un Ponte Per Baghdad (A Bridge to Baghdad), the association became simply Un Ponte Per after the extension of its work to the Balkans, as well as other Middle East and Mediterranean countries.
UPP is currently active in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy and in Europe, UPP works to promote peace and disarmament, human rights, and refugees and migrants’ inclusion. UPP strongly rejects war as a solution to international and national conflicts, it exerts restless efforts with the ultimate objective of developing more equal and peaceful coexistence up to social cohesion.
Entering year 9 of the Syria crisis, conflict continues to expose civilians to acute humanitarian needs in health, and protection. In North East Syria (NES) widespread displacement, destruction of basic services and increased exposure to protection risks is on-going. In response, UPP implements health and protection programmes through funding of several donors including EU, OFDA, AICS and private funding.
UPP and local partners aim is to improve the physical and psychosocial wellbeing of the conflict-affected population with a view of building the capacity of local actors and the resilience of communities in NES.
The project, funded by Italian Cooperation Agency (AICS) utilizes an integrated approach, with health as an entry point to guarantee wider access for women and girls as well as children to protection services, including GBV and CP case management.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the supervision of the relevant Desk Officer at HQ and the HoM, the Protection Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for the set-up, planning, implementation and follow up of a newly established integrated protection programme in North East Syria (NES) – with a specific focus on community-based and capacity building protection programmes/activities. In particular, the PM will offer guidance to the Women Protection and Empowerment and Child Protection programs for the set up of a Women and Girls Safe Space (WGSS) and a Child Friendly Space (CFS) in NES.
The selected candidate will oversee effective management and relationships with partners and other external stakeholders, manage interventions throughout the project cycle, including budget management, and lead in preparing and developing high quality programme plans, progress and donor reports. In coordination with the sectoral teams (Protection/MHPSS and Health) as well as Administrative and MEAL teams, the PM will ensure appropriate technical backstopping, staff management, coordination for overall project quality.
This position will report to the Head of Mission (HoM) and HQ Protection Desk Officer, and receive technical support from the Protection Coordinator and technical teams.
Project Cycle Management & Reporting
– Set up, plan, and supervise the implementation of project activities in close cooperation with implementing partners, key project staff and technical staff;
– Plan the project expenditure and ensure the compliance of expenditure of budgets with donor requirements;
– Ensure, together with the administrative office, the overall management, control and oversight of financial and administrative procedures, in compliance with UPP organizational systems and instructions;
– Ensure that all project reporting (internal and external) is completed in a timely and accurate manner and in compliance with UPP and donor requirements;
– Devise and implement a protection M&E plan, in coordination with MEAL and technical teams for protection data collection tools, assessments and evaluations;
– Participate in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with Protection Desk Officer and Coordinator.
– Support recruitment of local UPP and partner staff with technical teams and Human Resources department;
– Supervise, train and mentor project staff, in coordination with technical teams to deliver prevention and response activities;
– Devise and execute capacity building project plan including managing technical experts / trainers and local staff in accordance to capacity building plans in coordination with HoM, Protection Desk and Coordinator;
– Ensure that staff members implement and respect best-practice and international standards in GBV and child protection.
– Provide technical support to the implementing partners in order to strength local capacities and ensure a correct implementation of the project in line with UPP internal guidelines and donor’s requests;
– With support of Protection Coordinator and technical team, ensure that international guidelines and internal SOPs are respected in the set up of case management services, Child Friendly Spaces and Women and Girls Safe spaces;
– Ensure Age, Gender and Diversity approach is consistently applied in all activities through community and right base participatory methods;
– Ensure UPP Code of Conduct, Policies and guidelines are applied including Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA).
Coordination & Representation
– Liaise and maintain good relations with local partners, other INGO and with all relevant stakeholders;
– Keep abreast of protection and health situation and represent UPP in relevant humanitarian coordination working groups and meetings;
– Maintain oversight and management of protection services in the assigned area, ensuring up to date service mapping and referrals;
– Liase with other UPP health and protection projects to ensure coordination and synergies at mission level;
– Represent UPP and participate to donor meetings, upon request of HoM and/or Desk Officer;
– Performing any other task relevant to the project and position assigned by the HoM and the Desk Officer.
Education & experience
– University degree in Social Sciences, Human Rights, International Affairs
– 3 years professional experience in project management in international NGOs, including at least two years working in community-based protection (such as working with vulnerable persons and/or displaced populations);
– Previous experience in protection in emergencies projects providing case management services for Gender Based Violence (GBV) survivors and/or Child Protection (CP) cases;
– Previous experience in protection projects including in Child Friendly Spaces and/or Women and Girls Safe Spaces;
– Excellent command of the project life cycle management with a special focus on administration and reporting actions;
– Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives;
– Excellent knowledge of the guidelines set out by AICS and/or other major donors (MAE, EU, ECHO);
– Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Italian language skills are a strong competitive advantage;
– Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, and others);
– Experience of writing project proposals;
– Experience in reporting on protection activities/issues.
– Proven communication and behavioral skills to work directly with affected communities;
– Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and meeting deadlines;
– Solid team working and management skills in multicultural settings;
– Proactive attitude;
– Excellent computer literacy skills;
– Excellent oral and written English.
– Knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurmanji;
– Working experience in NES or MENA.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please reference; “Protection Project Manager” in the subject line