- POSITION LOCATION AND RELATIONSHIPS
Area/department: International Projects
Starting Mission: March 2021
Based in: Kathmandu, with frequent field missions in Kavre, Sindhupalchock, Rasuwa districts and others, if required
Internal relations: Project Managers and Program Director. Reporting to Desk HQ.
External relations: Partners project staff, local authorities, farmers organizations (groups, cooperatives) & other key stakeholders
New Position: NO
Position length: 12 months (renewable)
Allocation: Project ASIA – AICS – “SPEED for Life: SPices and sEEDs value chain improvement for rural development in Nepal, enhancing women and youth empowerment” and other projects funded by other public and private donors.
Reference gross salary/month: Around 3.000 Euro /month/gross salary according to the experience
- ASIA NGO Description
A.S.I.A. (Associazione per la Solidarietà Internazionale in Asia), in an International NGO based in Italy. ASIA works since 1988 in Tibetan areas in PRC with different kind of projects (mainly on Education, Cultural Heritage Protection, Emergency, Environment, Traditional Health System, Long Distance Sponsorship, WASH, Rural Development). ASIA works also in India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Inner Mongolia, Bhutan and Nepal. For further information: http://asia-ngo.org/en/
- JOB DESCRIPTION
- GENERAL OBJECTIVES
Under the supervision of the Desk:
- Be responsible of the official communication with the HQ
- Be responsible for obtaining the MoU of the projects and Agreements with the local authorities
- Organize ASIA office in the country (logistic facility, purchasing of equipment, selection of personnel)
- Guarantee the timely and properly implementation/execution of all ASIA projects activities in the Country to ensure the objectives and results are met
- Ensure that ASIA programming is effective, cost efficient and of the highest quality
- Measure impact of projects interventions through rigorous monitoring and evaluation actions
- Ensure project activities comply with the policies and regulations of the donors
- Ensure close collaboration and coordination with the Implementing Partners & all the stakeholders of projects to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results (in Nepal all the projects are directly implemented by local Implementing partners).
- Ensure the respect of local procedures and law (if needed with the support of legal agency/consultants)
- Coordinate, oversee and follow up the projects (activities, purchases, budget, human resources) implemented by the local partners.
- With the support of HQ, develop a long term Country Strategy and establish a yearly working plan.
- Be responsible of the security of the staff and goods in the Country
- Strengthen the visibility of ASIA in the Country and develop new relationships with donors/key stakeholders/partnersPOSITION SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES AND TASKS
Objective 1: Strategy planning
- With the support of HQ, develop a long term Country Strategy
- Establish a yearly working plan (with the support of HQ and ASIA local staff) to be followed by the local staff and implementing partners
- Follow up the working plan and ensure that results are met
- If any constraints, update and adapt the working plan to the current condition, in close collaboration with the line manager and HQ
Objective 2: Projects management
- Ensure the execution of the projects activities in close cooperation with Implementing Partners and beneficiaries and facilitate coordination efforts with all key stakeholders
- Supervise activities and expenditures to ensure the correct execution of the projects
- Develop action plans, budget plans, procurement plans and monitoring plan during the execution of the projects to ensure that the projects results are timely met, according to project plans and timeframe
- Responsible for submitting projects reports on regular basis to HQ, using ASIA templates or donor’s template and following ASIA or donor’s procedures;
- Design, establish, plan, oversee and maintain a regular monitoring and evaluation system for all activities of the projects
- Monitor if the achievements of the project activities are in line with the project objectives and results and, in case of discrepancies, to propose feasible solutions
- Ensure that financial and logistical management of the project adhere to ASIA and donor regulations
- Conduct regular field monitoring visit
- Work closely with technical consultant expert(s) to incorporate advice and recommendations into projects delivery
- Ensure capitalization of programs documentation (including assessment reports, methodology, beneficiary selection and list, distribution reports, etc…)
- Evaluate the relevance and appropriateness of the intervention in view of the evolution of the context and needs; propose necessary adjustments to projects in consultation with all stakeholders
- Promoting and institutionalizing of ASIA management tools among staff to adopt in everyday work (supervise and manage tools on monthly basis)
Objective 3: Project Development
- Supervise the identification study providing relevant information of ASIA strategy in the country of intervention
- Support the assessment responsible to organise the study (logistic and relevant contacts in the country)
- Examine and modify (if needed) the project proposals of PM before forwarding them to the direct line manager
- Gather and collate all pertinent information and data to support the design of further interventions/projects
- Identify partners (national and international in loco): identify reliable partners, manage the relationships and supervise them in drafting the project proposals to be submitted to donors
- Networking: to create and manage relationship with other NGO in the country (local and international) and with local authorities, associations etc.
- Work together with local and international experts and relevant stakeholders to identify new proposal of interventions
- Draft and send to the direct line manager new projects’ proposals
- Stipulate the necessary agreements with partners, in the form of MoU and Partnership Agreement and Service Contracts
Objective 4: Financial Management
- In full compliance with local staff and HQ, ensure the administrative management of the programs and country office related to: contracts, finance and accountancy (including the accounting control, financial reporting, procurement procedures, etc.), budget prevision and monitoring, cash flow;
- Send funds requests in line with forecast cash flows, to monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability
- Work closely with ASIA local Admin – Fin Officer to ensure that the expenses are eligible according to the project budgets and monthly supervision of projects monitoring tools
- Support to the administration in Italy for the possible completion of the monthly accounting documentation from ASIA country office
- Ensure optimal use of project funds, according to the budget lines of the planned project objectives and activities
- Ensure adherence and compliance to ASIA and donor’s financial and procurement guidelines
- Preparation of financial reports and budgeting of any future initiatives
Objective 5: Supervise local procurement
- Supervise the implementation of procurement procedures
- Following ASIA rules, supervise directly the publication of tenders and the process of candidate selection
Objective 6: Manage local staff
- Recruitment of local staff (adherence to the system of publication of vacancies in the country, carrying out the selection and interviews, following ASIA procedures and tools)
- Ensure adherence and compliance of local contracts and stipulates contracts, in collaboration with the local Admin Fin and the support of the HQ Administration, following the “ASIA Internal rules and regulations for local offices” procedures
Objective 7: Supervise security
- Elaborate the Country Security Plan, following the ASIA Security Procedures
- Ensure the availability of concrete means (equipment, vehicles) in order to adopt the Security Plan
- Monitor the context of Security and updates the Country Security Plan in agreement with the direct line manager
- Advise the direct line manager any serious event concerning security
- Ensure that expatriate and local staff are well informed on the Security Procedures
- In charge, in coordination with the direct line manager, to organise any type of intervention in relation to a security threat included the necessary provision for the hibernation of the activities and/or the evacuation of the personnel
- Ensure collaboration and coordination with international institutions concerning security
Objective 8: Communication and visibility
- Represent ASIA in the country
- Represent ASIA in local forums and meetings
- Manage relations with local authorities, local and international organisations/associations/actors/donors
- Support HQ Communication sector to create communication material of projects and ASIA activities in the country, supervise the collection of photographs and ensure visibility of the projects.
- PROFILE REQUIRED
- Organization and Planning
- Results focused
- Stress resistance
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Effective communication
- Technical knowledge
- Problem solving
- Inspirational leadership
- Innovation and creativity
- Strategic vision
4.2 Knowledge and experience required:
Academic background: Master Degree preferably in Agro-Forestry, Environment Sciences, Agronomy or Economics, International Development and Cooperation, International Relations/Political science, preferably with a strong experience in agricultural, agroforestry and livelihoods programs
Management: Strong management skills and proved knowledge of the procedures of the main national and international donors (UE, UN agencies, AICS, etc.)
Technical specific knowledge:
- Background in agricultural or rural development or economic a significant asset.
- Ability to plan, to monitor and to control project activities.
- Excellent M&E skills (in Nepal the projects are directly implemented by local partners).
- Excellent diplomatic, communication and negotiation skills.
- Report writing skills.
- Project Cycle Management excellent skills.
- Excellent and proved ability to write new project proposals.
- Strong ability in coordination and teamwork
- Attitude to play a leadership role
- Excellent communication skill and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative to complete tasks assigned
- Ability to work for goals in compliance with deadlines
- Problem solving skills
- Strong commitment to the Mission of ASIA, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics and curious of the surrounding cultural contexts
Previous experience (years): At least 5 years’ experience in Project Management in agricultural/livelihood or in the field in similar contexts , Previous experience as Program Coordinator/Country Director
Humanitarian sector knowledge: Knowledge of the context and previous experience in Nepal is an asset
Organization knowledge: Excellent ability in planning, monitoring and follow up of agricultural value chain, rural development and livelihood activities
Languages: Italian, English (Proficient)
IT systems: Computer skills including Windows and Microsoft Office. Excellent in Excel.
Mobility (national/ international): Flexible with respect to working hours and place of work.
Candidates are invited to send within 21 February 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org the following attachments (object “NEPAL_COUNTRY COORDINATOR”):
- Updated curriculum vitae (signed)
- Cover Letter
- Specify at least two references, indicating telephone numbers, e-mail addresses and relation with the candidate
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection process