Position Title: MEDICAL ADVISOR Emergency Programs
Location: North-East Syria or Remote Work in case of lockdown of the Country
Period: 5 months (with possible renewal)
Closing date of the vacancy: 07 March 2021 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: April 2021
Context presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is a voluntary association founded in 1991, immediately after the bombing of Iraq, which promotes solidarity initiatives for Iraqis who suffered during the war. Un Ponte Per works in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy, it promotes peace and disarmament, defends the common goods, and welcomes refugees and migrants. The aim of UPP is the prevention of new conflicts, particularly in the Middle East. This is achieved through advocacy campaigns, programs which educate and encourage cultural exchange, collaborative projects and peaceful civil interventions.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
DEFINITION OF THE POST
Un Ponte Per is looking for one Medical Advisor (MA) that will work under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator in the Health Department of UPP NES Mission to ensure the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the activities related to emergency, in UPP supported facilities in NES, through the design and the application of a comprehensive Emergency Programme and related Clinical Protocols or the revision of existing ones.
The MA role is also to advice the Programme Department in the decision-making process and deliver project related documents according to donor requirement, under the supervision of the Programme Manager.
Role and Responsibilities
The medical advisor will be responsible for:
- Providing technical advice and guidance to Program Department and to Mission Management in the sector of intervention which the advisor is assigned (Emergency)
- Contributing in the decision-making processes related to the design and implementation of strategies and tools related to the specific sector of intervention (Emergency)
- Designing, planning and ensuring implementation of an emergency program and related clinical protocols (in line with recognized international standards),
- Advising the functional design and operation of the services in the clinical medical and nursing services, both in emergency and program development,
- Advising and organizing the general clinical services with particular capacity for planning, developing and training of emergency program in primary care settings
- Advising the organization of the patient services as part of the emergency programs linked with Maternal Program, Healthy child program and Chronic diseases program
- Designing and organizing the registration and health care communication programs, and general clinical records and morbidity communication
- Planning and organizing the activities related with emergency, involving, doctors, nurses and paramedics
- Advising and organizing the accountability activities of centers and units in front of patients and communities
- Providing essential training to medical and non-medical staff in emergency services, in particular: pre-hospital emergency care, ALS, ATLS, hospital emergency care, triage algorithm
- Elaborating M&E data for reporting purpose – Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
- Monitoring the overall functioning of emergency services and programs in the targeted facilities, meeting the challenges and signaling the gaps and solutions to correct them, through regular field visits (when possible) or by developing and implementing tools for remote monitoring in case physical access is limited
- Supervising the overall work of two UPP local Medical Advisors in charge of monitoring centers’ activities
- Advising and collaborating with the Project Manager in any demand related to his/her area of expertise
- Elaborating and analyzing M&E data for reporting purpose – Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
- Medical degree (Doctor, nurse).
- Minimum of three years professional experience in pre-hospital and hospital emergency care
- Minimum of two years professional expertise developing programs
- Accredited experience as trainer or teacher in basic and advanced emergency care, including pre-hospital care
- Accredited experience in setting primary care services in low income countries and or conflictive and far- to-reach areas is an asset
- Experience in emergency medicine and public health activities (specialization and/or master in primary health care management is an asset)
- Experience in planning and implementation of emergency programs
- Experience in coordination of humanitarian aid projects
- Good understanding of the project life cycle management
- Excellent capacity to work in team.
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives.
- Ability to supervise and/or mentor the medical staff.
- Previous work experience in humanitarian field.
- Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, local institutions).
- Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure in stressful environments.
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors.
- Excellent oral and written English. Arabic is an asset
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and the s/he won’t in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for two professional references to: email@example.com . Please reference “MA_EMERGENCY PROGRAMS – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application. Please apply with just one email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position Un Ponte Per reserves the right to screen applications on a rolling basis.