Position Title: Project Manager
Location: North East Syria
Period: 6 months +7 months
Closing date of the vacancy: 31 March 2021 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: April
Context presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is a voluntary association founded in 1991, immediately after the bombing of Iraq, which promotes solidarity initiatives for Iraqis who suffered during the war. Un Ponte Per works in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy, it promotes peace and disarmament, defends the common goods, and welcomes refugees and migrants. The aim of UPP is the prevention of new conflicts, particularly in the Middle East. This is achieved through advocacy campaigns, programs which educate and encourage cultural exchange, collaborative projects and peaceful civil interventions.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
Role and Responsibilities
Un Ponte Per is looking for a Senior Project Manager who will be responsible of the following major tasks:
- Managing an integrated project in the sectors of Health and WASH, with focus on Environmental Health and specifically on medical waste management in North-East Syria (NES);
- Setting up, planning and supervising the implementation of the project Health and WASH activities, in coordination with NES mission management staff and HQ Programme and Admin Desk Officers for all relevant aspects;
- Monitoring activities and ensuring the achievement of outputs and results in compliance with project objectives;
- Coordinating the project technical team (health waste management experts and WASH);
- Ensuring coordination with Health, MEAL, Protection and Logistic Departments;
- Writing complete and accurate interim and final reports, in coordination with Reporting Officer;
- Ensuring project and financial reporting in a timely and accurate manner;
- Selecting local or international staff to deploy in the project, in coordination with the HR Manager and in line with the procedures provided by UPP HR Manual;
- Ensuring communication flows across the projects operational team and between the field and HQ levels is continuous, prompt, accurate and collaborative and the requested information about the project progresses, critical events, bottlenecks, planning and financial insight are immediately available;
- Ensuring overall relevant project documentation (legal, financial, HR, MEAL, etc.) is compliant with UPP standards, up to date, accurate, well stored and organized, available, and easy to consult at any time;
- Follow up on UPP’s local implementing partner (KRC) and ensure capacity building of their staff upon UPP due diligence, quality performance and regular check-ups;
- Managing the financial resources allocated to the project upon UPP Administrative Procedures and relevant Policies, Donor requirements and approved expenditure forecasts;
- Liaising with INGOs, local authorities and other stakeholders;
- Liaising with the donors in coordination with the line desk officers;
- Participating to all the relevant humanitarian coordination working groups and meetings.
- University degree preferably in relevant subjects (Social Work, Gender Studies, Humanitarian Affairs, International Development, International Relations, Environmental Engineering) or equivalent working experience;
- At least 3 years of responsibility in international cooperation projects;
- Knowledge of the guidelines, including administrative procedures, of the major funding bodies (MAE, EU, ECHO, UN, etc.);
- Excellent command and understanding of the project life cycle management from need assessment to evaluation;
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives;
- Previous experience working under pressure and/or in hardship duty station;
- Team working skills and proactive attitude;
- Experience of reporting and monitoring to tight deadlines;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coordinate activities;
- Determined and committed to high quality standards;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure, while maintaining flexibility and professional approach;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Ability to travel in the Middle East with the same ability of a Western European passport owner. Ability to travel in Europe.
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors;
- Technical knowledge and working experience in the WASH sector, especially with focus on medical waste management and waste management in general, including waste recycling and ecological programs;
- Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, and others) or managing consortium of NGOs;
- Previous work experience in UN funded projects;
- Experience facilitating trainings and workshops and mentoring others;
- Knowledge of Arabic or Italian is an asset.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and the s/he won’t in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for two professional references to: email@example.com . Please reference “PM NES CDCS- Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application. Please apply with just one email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position Un Ponte Per reserves the right to screen applications on a rolling basis.