Job title: Finance/HR Project Manager ECHO
Duty station: Mekelle (Tigray Region) with periodic missions to Addis Abeba (Ethiopia)
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Country Admin directly and Head of Mission hierarchically
How to Apply: submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, object: Finance/HR ECHO; including: CV, motivation letter and References (at least 2 contacts). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. N.B. Echo funds are not secured yet.
General context of the project:
Since November 2020, a series of escalating clashes between the Ethiopian Federal Government and the Tigray Regional Government has resulted in a growing humanitarian emergency including heavy casualties and population movements both internally and cross border. An estimated 9 million people within or near the Tigray region are at risk due to increasing confrontations. Furthermore, access into Tigray Region has been severely restricted, with roads blocked, flights suspended, and communication lines (including phone and internet) shut down. There are reports that access is increasing, with some roads now open but remains extremely limited.
The Tigray Region, with a population of approximately 5 million, was already hosting approximately 600,000 people dependant on relief assistance before this conflict crisis, including 400,000 food insecure, 100,000 IDPs, and nearly 96,000 refugees, and nearly 16,000 returned migrants.
VIS is active in Ethiopia and in Tigray Region since 2000, mainly in Livelihoods, Education and Wash sectors. In Tigray VIS operates both in refugee camps (May-Aini, Hitsats and Adiharush Refugees camps), hosting communities and urban areas (in particular, Mekelle, Adwa and Adigrat), implementing development and emergency interventions mainly with the partnership of Ethiopian Catholic Church – Social and Development Coordinating Office of Adigrat (ECC-SDCOAd) and putting efforts to mitigate the effects of food insecurity, floods, pest infestation and lately also COVID 19.
In this context, VIS has decided to be engaged in humanitarian interventions in Tigray, as soon as the access will be possible; continuing to support the Ethiopian population most vulnerable.
General purpose of the position
The Finance/HR Manager will be responsible of the management, all the financial and procedural aspects of the humanitarian intervention in the emergency area of Tigray
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide financial and budgetary management of ECHO project;
- Contribute to ensure that all grants compliance requirements are met;
- Act as a focal point for Operations staff regarding emergency purchases and suppliers together with the procurement officer
- In cooperation with Country Finance Manager, review and prepare financial reports, supporting documents and ensures compliance with VIS and donor policies.
- Support in preparing and ensuring timely submission of requested financial reports, records, files and cash requests to VIS Headquarter, VIS Ethiopia main office in Addis Abeba
- Support in designated project audits.
- Act as a focal point for all supporting documents check, including invoices, receipts, timesheets, inventory lists and similar tasks.
- Ensures stored files in VIS warehouse are listed physically and electronically and kept up to date
- Prevent and manage fraud and corruption according to VIS policy
Partner’s Financial Management
- Participate in meetings with existing partners to ensure financial requirements and policies are in place as agreed with Country Finance Manager;
- Assess capacity building needs and technical assistance in financial management to local partners, if required
- Ensure internal audits are carried out regularly with partner organizations
- Ensure that partners’ reports and supporting documents are adequately reviewed and in line with Plan’s and the donor’s regulations and policies.
- Conduct regular check-ins and meetings with the local partners to identify challenges and build their capacity on donor policies and procedures.
- Participate in the selection of project personnel ensuring transparency and compliance with the VIS and Donors procedures
- Participate in operational planning to help identify staff needs for the response
- Ensure the administrative management of the local ECHO teams, in accordance with labour regulations in the intervention country and VIS policies
- support the safety and well-being of emergency staff, given the increased risks of an emergency environment
- implement HR policy and systems to meet operational requirements and local laws.
- Master’s degree in social sciences, social work, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution. BA degree in Accounting/Business management.
- At least 3 years of relevant post qualification experience in finance management or in the same role, of which 2-3 years should be humanitarian (involved in at least one initial emergency response/start-up in a conflict affected area)
- Proven experience in implementing emergency response interventions funded by ECHO;
- Proven strong knowledge of emergency procedures of the main emergency donors (ECHO, UNOCHA, UNHCR..);
- Previous working experience in Ethiopia and/or Horn of Africa “desirable”
- Knowledge of humanitarian context, sector standards, Sphere standards, CHS and protection principles.
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English
- Ability to work under pressure, long work hours and high workload.
- Experience working in emergency context and/or conflict affected areas with volatile security conditions.
- Excellent representational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in cross-cultural, multi-sector and remote environments.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as, to work autonomously when required.
Vacancy completa https://www.volint.it/offerte-lavoro/vis-volontariato-internazionale-sviluppo-14