Position Title: Consortium Coordinator
Location: North-East Syria
Period: 7 months (with possible renewal)
Closing date of the vacancy: 02 June 2021 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: June 2021
Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an Italian NGO established in 1991. It started its activities as “Un ponte per Baghdad”, in the aftermath of the first Gulf war, with the aim of organizing solidarity initiatives in support of the Iraqi civilian population. In subsequent years, UPP missions expanded to include Serbia and other Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries. The NGO aims at preventing armed conflicts, protecting human rights and supporting local civil society, especially in the Middle East, by promoting the nexus between its humanitarian, peacebuilding and development programs.
Since 2015, UPP has been one of the leading INGOs in the North East Syria (NES) response. Providing humanitarian aid and capacity building of local actors in Health and Protection as well as Environmental health, including waste management. In partnership with local partners, UPP has been able to develop a comprehensive system of health services delivered in 26 facilities, including mobile units, hospitals, primary health care centres, and an ambulance network. For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
DEFINITION OF THE POST
Un Ponte Per is looking for one Consortium Coordinator that will lead the implementation of a Health Consortium aiming to target in-camp and out-of-camp high-need/neglected areas with a comprehensive and integrated package of primary health care services, specialized assistance for PWDs, health waste management, and community outreach.
The Consortium Coordinator will ensure that partners work effectively together and guarantee that the project is implemented according to UPP and donor compliance. S/He will be directly supervised by UPP HQ relevant Desk Officers and in the field s/he will strongly coordinate with UPP NES HoM (who holds also the supervision for safety and security). S/He will lead the communication with the donor and support the different PMs to ensure quality standards and accountability to beneficiaries.
Role and Responsibilities
Representation and Consortium Leadership:
- Represent the Consortium toward the donor and therefore communicate with the donor promoting the vision of Consortium partners, under the supervision of UPP Desk Officer;
- Communicate and coordinate with the donor for program activities by sharing regular information and humanitarian advocacy messages;
- Proactively suggest and plan for the development and continuation of activities to ensure the sustainability of the Consortium, in coordination with UPP NES senior management and Desk Officer;
- Ensure regular and open/transparent communication between Consortium partners;
- Support the development and maintenance of a coherent Consortium strategy across all partners;
- Convene and chair regular (e.g. quarterly) Consortium Steering Committee meetings to discuss project issues;
- Follow up on and Support all partners in tracking their progress against decisions/resolutions made in the Steering Committee;
- Promote a strong integrity approach on the basis of the Partners’ policies and CoC and the standard humanitarian principles;
- Mediate disputes and misunderstandings among Consortium partners.
Project Management and quality assurance:
- Follow up on implementation progresses by each partner’s Project Managers and offer backup support when needed;
- Regularly communicate with Consortium Project Managers on project activities and organize regular meetings (e.g. fortnightly). Identify and address any delays in program activities in a timely and effective manner;
- Promote harmonization of approaches and methodologies across all Consortium partners by developing and monitoring use of common tools, as well as creating opportunities for experience sharing and learning;
- Oversee and monitor the work of Consortium partners, ensuring that technical quality and integrity standards established are considered and respected throughout the project implementation;
- Conduct periodic field visits to monitor progress reports, identify problems and make recommendations for improvement;
- Ensure that outputs and results are met according to the objectives and the timeline set by the project, as approved by the donor and reflected into partnership agreement(s);
- Ensure the project progresses are effectively monitored, through regular data collection, analysis of indicators as well as project activities are documented with proper source of verification;
- Ensure early warnings, lessons learned and information management are properly sorted out and they flow among partners and inside UPP management lines;
- Ensure that adequate flow of information with UPP NES senior management and HQ is continuous, prompt, accurate and collaborative and the requested information about the Consortium progresses, critical events, bottlenecks, planning insight are immediately available;
- Ensure complete and accurate interim and final program reporting for each of the Consortium partners is respected by all, according to agreed deadlines and to donor and UPP requirements;
- Collect and consolidate narrative reports from Consortium partners in order to meet donor compliance;
- Prepare documentation for any project modifications, amendments or extensions. Ensure such changes are made in close consultation with the Consortium partners;
- Together with UPP Desk Officers (Admin and Program), manage and negotiate any budget changes in accordance with donor and UPP HQ criteria.
- Together with Administration Department monitoring and tracking the overall budgets, cash burn rates and work plan of the project;
- Ensure overall relevant project documentation (legal, financial, HR, MEAL, etc.) is compliant with UPP standards, up to date, accurate, well stored and organized, available, and easy to consult at any time;
- Performing any other task in line with the above, assigned by Desk Officers.
- University degree in International Studies, Public Policy, Political Science, Law, Accounting or related fields
- At least 5-year professional work experience in management/coordination position in humanitarian sector
- Excellent command of Project Cycle Management including administrative and reporting actions;
- Experience in managing large multi-cultural teams and in tight coordination with local CSO/NGOs;
- Demonstrated experience in budgetary management;
- Knowledge of compliance and administrative procedures set out by the main institutional donors (EU, UN agencies etc.);
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Good command of Office and windows applications, including word processing, spreadsheets and email.
- Ability to take initiative, be proactive and maintain a solution-oriented approach;
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines, while maintaining flexibility and a positive approach · Determination and commitment to high quality standards;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Model and encourage active practice of the principles of neutrality, impartiality and fairness
- Work experience and/or knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors.
- Working knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurdish is an asset
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and the s/he won’t in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for two professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please reference “CONSORTIUM COORDINATOR – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application. Please apply with just one email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position Un Ponte Per reserves the right to screen applications on a rolling basis.