Position: Global Research and Data Analysis Specialist
Line Manager: Integrated Protection Development and Analysis Area (IPDA) Coordinator
Location: based in Tunis with negotiable flexibility
Travel: 10-20% travel time is expected
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) months collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 6 (six) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Deadline: 24th May 2021
Starting date: ASAP
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
WeWorld-GVC, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
The Global Research and Data Analyst Specialist (RDAS) is a core staff of WeWorld-Integrated Protection Development and Analysis Area (IPDA). Since 2013 WeWorld-GVC has been studying and developing an innovative approach to combine quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis to inform integrated programs. A model of the approach, including an internally designed advanced technological and digital in-house system, is used in major programs in the oPt and several pilots, joint research programs, applicability studies and applications are ongoing in other 12 WeWorld-GVC missions. The innovative multi-sector coding of qualitative information and the combination with quantitative data and analysis is looked upon by major partners and agencies to support the elaboration of Humanitarian Programs, and more precisely the analysis of Protection Risks to inform integrated strategies (Humanitarian-Development).
The current WeWorld-GVC positioning in multi-sector integrated approaches (see here and here) and the unique role of the IPDA Area within WeWorld-GVC of strategic research for programs and advocacy provide the RDAS with a unique role to lead in the design and development of instruments and analysis to increase the scalability and impact of programs, specifically in Protracted and Complex crises. The RDAS will lead specifically Data Analysts in the IPDA and in Missions to advance research and development; elaborate, write and position bespoke data analysis studies, briefings and reports in interaction with existing Consortia, UN and other coordination mechanisms; propose and establish innovative partnerships with Universities, Research Centre’s and Data Analysis major actors.
The IPDA Area objectives are: reinforce WeWorld-GVC position in international debates through effective rights and evidence based initiatives; consolidate the Community Protection Approach (CPA), provide instruments and research to reinforce the organization’s capacity and establish a network to promote exchange of knowledge, expertise, and experience.
This position is lined managed directly to the IPDA Area Coordinator and works closely with the Global CPA Specialist, the Information Management Program Manager and Digital Solutions Specialist and the Global Protection Specialist. The RDAS provides technical line management to the dedicated Research and Data Analyst Officers in the different WeWorld-GVC Missions’, upon IPDA Area Coordinator assignments.
A major line of work of the RDAS builds upon the Community Protection Approach (CPA). The CPA is a community engagement and empowerment instrument to design and monitor Integrated Protection Strategies, provide operational tools to facilitate coherence, collaboration and complementarity between different foreign and national aid instruments and find sustainable solutions to a given population’s needs and problems.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Lead the development and research of quantitative and qualitative instruments and analysis
- Monitor global initiatives and developments on data collection, analysis, visualization and frameworks within and across NGOs, the UN, other international organizations and research institutes
- Assist the Global CPA Specialist, the Global Protection Specialist and the Digital Solutions Specialist to advance research and analysis of the CPA
- Coordinate the elaboration of standard Key Data Analysis reports and studies, including WeWorld-GVC missions´ specific SitReps, thematic reports and briefings to Humanitarian Coordination mechanisms
- Develop and write high-level analytical reports and studies to advance research on Protection Risk and Multi-sector analyses, including bespoke sector specific researches
- Conduct and manage research projects that leverage WeWorld-GVC data on integrated programming to support the strategic design and/or development of thematic programming (e.g. education, health, gender, access)
- Cultivate and maintain a network of contacts within the broader community and beyond to expand WeWorld-GVC knowledge sharing through exchanges, coordination and partnerships
- Ensure and reinforce the continuity and consistency between WeWorld-GVC consolidated internal data and externally distributed analytical products on a global level
- Coordinate the integration of best practices/methodologies/approaches for the improvement and innovation of the CPA, in assistance with the Global CPA Specialist, Global Protection Specialist and Digital Solutions Specialist
- Assist the Digital Solutions Specialist to ensure the highest-level of innovation of WeWorld-GVC CPA dedicated software and platform
- Assist WeWorld-GVC missions through strategic and technical advice and executive work to capitalize the best complementarity between WeWorld-GVC models and other existing methodologies
- Lead on behalf of the International Advocacy and Policy Innovation Area (IAPIA) Coordinator and the IPDA, the identification of innovative solutions to maintain the relevance of WeWorld-GVC Data Analysis models in line with international standards and particularly ICRC, IASC, Global Clusters, ECHO and other relevant UN systems
- Provide technical supervision and coordinate the work of National Research and Data Analyst in WeWorld-GVC mission to build synergies between global and local developments and innovations
- Supervise the adaptation and contextualization of CPA tools and instruments to the local contexts of WeWorld-GVC mission, in line with National RDAs tasks and roles
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Master’s degree in social sciences, Political Science or International Relations with major on social research methods or statistics, or in Information Technology or Statistics, or Economics, with strong background in social and human sciences (alternative experience may be considered)
- Proven knowledge and analytical skills with Qualitative and Quantitative information
- Ability to collect, clean, organize and triangulate large amounts of information from different sources and of different types
- Excellent computer skills
- Fluency in English both written and verbal
- Fluency in Spanish both written and verbal
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience
- At least 2 years of working experience in developing countries
- At least 2 years of experience in research methodologies and quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with common data science toolkits (R, Stata, SQL, Python)
- At least 1 year of experience with common data visualization tools (PowerBI, Tableu)
Skills and Abilities
- Capacity to perform, advance analysis and report results and visualizations to multiple audiences (donor, partners, general public, academic, government…)
- Stress management and adaptability
- Team work and team management
- Intercultural awareness and respectful attitude towards other customs, traditions and diversity
- Ability to work independently and set own objectives
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Knowledge of French, Portuguese and/or Arabic
- Knowledge of the CPA methodology is highly valuable
- Experience in project cycle management
- Experience in MEAL, proposal writing and donor reporting
- Experience in Information Management or Information Technology related field