Position: Programs Manager
Location: Ramallah and Jerusalem, Palestine
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) months collaboration contract subject to evaluation; a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Starting date: 15th of July 2021
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 13th of June 2021
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
We World GVC has been working in Palestine since 1992 and is currently supporting vulnerable populations both in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank through multi-sectorial interventions, encompassing WASH, livelihoods, gender, good governance, rural development. WeWorld-GVC is active both in humanitarian and developmental interventions, and recently developed its Nexus approach, implemented with the involvement of several partners and stakeholders, national and international. The general aim of the organization is to provide the communities and the local actors the possibility to take informed decisions and increase their agency and their resilience.
The mission counts five offices (Jerusalem, Ramallah, Gaza, Tubas and Hebron) and around 45 employees. The main donors are ECHO, EU, AICS, UN, SIDA, GIZ and more.
Purpose of the Role
The Programs Manager, under the direct line management of the Country Representative (CR), is in charge of leading the programs development of the organization in the country, by consolidating the core competencies of the organization and identifying innovation spaces, ensuring high quality in the production of written documents as projects proposals, strategic report, policy and advocacy outputs, identifying programming opportunities by building relationships with donors and national counterparts, creating a network of collaboration. She/he supervises, coordinates and leads the Programs Unit, managing both International and National staff.
Main functions and duties
Strategic Programs development and planning, knowledge management and innovation:
- Identify new programming opportunities and provide direct support in writing concept notes and proposals;
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the programs delivery and results;
- Institutionalize and share best practices and lessons learnt for development planning and knowledge management and innovation;
- Draft/redact policy papers and/or recommend policy changes to align operations with changing environment, in coordination with the CR and the HQ;
- Manage and oversee the preparation of program documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, program plans and risk assessments);
- Lead the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, clients and stakeholders within the programs;
- Analyze and keep abreast of political and humanitarian/development trends in the geographical area, to identify and propose to the Head of Regional Unit and CR areas for WeWorld-GVC’s engagement and support based on WeWorld-GVC’s priorities, strategic areas of focus and comparative advantage;
- Coordinate and work with relevant state-level government authorities, local government institutions, non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations and local communities in order to ensure the smooth execution of program activities;
- Monitor and advise field staff in program delivery;
- Supervise the delivery of projects’ reports, in order to guarantee the consolidation and capitalization of WeWorld-GVC’s strategies towards the donors;
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonization of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance
- Keep the CR informed at all times of programmatic updates and potential fundraising / project ideas and initiatives.
- Coordinate and address the Programs Unit, supervising the tasks of its members;
- Provide leadership to the programs, with oversight and management of WeWorld-GVC’s expatriate staff and national staff, in particular in the coordination office in Ramallah;
- Ensure the ongoing formal and informal appraisal/evaluation of staff performance, including follow up on contracts and annual written appraisals of the WeWorld-GVC’s programs staff;
- Provide support in hiring and managing human resources in accordance with WeWorld-GVC’s standards of ethics, integrity and accountability framework
Partnership, networking and advocacy:
- In coordination with the CR, act as representative for WeWorld-GVC in oPt towards government authorities, donors, partners, UN agencies and international and local NGOs and various local co-ordination forums, when required;
- In coordination with the CR, take the lead on the process of securing funds for WeWorld-GVC’s activities. This includes any liaison and contact with the donor and national stakeholders;
- In consultation with the CR, liaison with relevant government authorities, donors, partners, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and various local co-ordination forums, when required;
- Review Advocacy documents and products, ensuring that they are in line with WeWorld-GVC’s polices and strategies.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management;
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (ECHO, UN Agencies, EU, Italian Cooperation);
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Good computer skills, in particular MS Office package.
- At least 6 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings.
- At least 4 years’ experience in Project Cycle Management.
- Proven experience in project proposal writing.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to perform under stress condition.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards.
- Strong commitment to WeWorld–GVC Mission.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge of Palestine context is an asset;
- Previous experience in Integrated Protection, Humanitarian-Development Nexus, Local Economic Development or WASH;
- Knowledge of Arabic and Italian is an asset.
How to apply
Please, send your CV and Cover Letter by applying here: