Position: Programs Manager Water Governance
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) months collaboration contract subject to evaluation; a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Starting date: ASAP
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 6th of June 2021
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Lebanon since 2006 and is currently supporting vulnerable populations through WASH, Shelter, basic assistance, water governance, livelihood, and rural development interventions, in North Bekaa and in Akkar. Our interventions aim to increase the populations’ resilience, enhancing the communities’ capacity to find, within its fabric, the skills and resources necessary to grow in a self-sufficient manner.
The mission counts more than 80 employees, divided in four offices (Beirut, Zahle, Ain, Kobayat). The main programs active from 2021 will be five multi-million and multi-year projects, three of which implemented in consortium with other organizations. Main donors of the mission are ECHO, EU, AICS, and AFD.
WeWorld-GVC is implementing projects supporting public water and waste-water services in partnership with other organizations and funded by different donors (AFD, EU-MADAD). WeWorld-GVC’s Water Governance Program uses a three pillar approach of (i) Infrastructural Improvement to improve service delivery, Capacity Building to improve Water Establishments’ management and cost-recovery, and Community Engagement promoting water accountability and public participation.
Within this framework, We World GVC seeks to recruit a Program Manager to set-up and lead the implementation of two 3-year projects commencing within Q1 2021. The incumbent will be responsible for successfully implementing WeWorld-GVC’s components of the projects, in close cooperation with the project partners and the consortium coordinators, beneficiaries, and stakeholders. The thematic focus of the position is: institutional capacity development of regional water utilities, generating social cohesion through improved service provision and participatory water governance.
Purpose of the Role
The Programs Manager manages organizational Programs at the country level ensuring quality from development through execution. Identifies programming opportunities and areas where the organization can demonstrate its value and relevance. Builds relationships with donors and national counterparts creating a network of collaboration and highlighting the value the organization brings. Manages International and National Staff and budget.
The Programs Manager is under the direct line management of the Country Representative.
Main functions and duties
Project Management (70%)
- Is responsible for the supervision and management of WeWorld-GVC water projects in the Bekaa Valley.
- Conducts procurement processes in collaboration with the logistics and finance department.
- Closely monitors the contracted works and directly liaises with the consultants and contractors.
- Initiates and conducts assessments, baseline surveys, beneficiaries’ satisfaction surveys and end line surveys ensuring stakeholder participation.
- Plans and supervises the implementations of local and national communication and awareness campaigns.
- Monitors and assesses the progress of implementation of activities.
- Ensures that project impact is maximized and lessons learnt are continuously documented and shared.
- Initiates and ensures regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted in collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) department to ensure the quality of the program.
- Coordinates the elaboration of reports and ensures the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Identifies financial resources necessary for the implementation of the project and plan, construct and manage budgets for the assigned projects in collaboration with finance and logistics.
Team Management and HR (20%)
- Ensures the appropriate staffing of the project, planning and implementing specific actions to recruit, manage and motivate staff.
- Ensures that directly line managed staff have clearly defined objectives, understand their responsibilities and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
- Provides support and advise to project technical and social staff, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective teamwork.
- Holds regular team meetings, reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing opportunities for feedback.
- Assists the Deputy Country Director for Programs with establishing and maintaining a collaborative and high performing team and a good working environment.
Strategy development and programme development (5%)
- Provides the Water Advisor with inputs for the development of national strategies for water and waste-water interventions, including technical, social and institutional approaches.
- Supports the Deputy Country Director for Programs by conducting needs assessments in areas of interest, coordinating with relevant staff and developing concept notes/project ideas.
- Inputs into the development of the WeWorld-GVC strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
Communication, coordination and representation (5%)
- Establishes and maintain networks with operational and institutional interlocutors involved in the realization of the project.
- Represents WeWorld-GVC at relevant public, coordination and representation meetings involving local stakeholders, authorities, international agencies and NGOs.
- Prepares visits of donor representatives/HQ visitors/other stakeholders whenever requested.
- Participates in all Consortium relevant meetings, as well as relevant sector meetings or other relevant coordination bodies in the target areas.
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Water and Waste-water Management, Project Management, Development Studies or similar.
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (ECHO, UN Agencies, EU, Italian Cooperation).
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Good computer skills, in particular MS Office package.
- At least 4 years’ experience in Project Cycle Management experience in water related development programs.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to perform under stress condition.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards.
- Strong commitment to We World – GVC Mission.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutional, private donors and sponsorship programs.
- Previous experience working with public and private actors.
- Expertise in either Infrastructural Improvement (Engineering or similar) or Community Engagement (Anthropology or similar);
- Experience in participatory community engagement processes and / or institutional dialogue.
How to apply
Please, send your CV and Cover Letter by applying here: