Role: English teacher
Location: Samos, Greece
Direct Supervisor: Educational Officer
Contract : Minimum 6 months.
Still I Rise, an international NGO that works on the development and implementation of humanitarian projects aimed at the education and support of refugee children and teenagers, is looking for an English Teacher to join its current staff.
The selected person will join the Education Department and will be responsible for teaching a diverse population of students in a transient educational environment. This position involves working both independently and with a teaching team.
The English Teacher will be an inspiring, proactive, and energetic person with strong mentoring abilities.
Still I Rise runs education programs within Mazi, our youth center, which can serve up to 130 refugee students aged 10-17 years. Currently, due to COVID-19 restrictions and earthquake damage, we are operating from a temporary location with reduced capacity. We will return to our original centre as soon as possible.
- Lesson Planning: Plan, deliver and facilitate dynamic, active, and creative language lessons for a diverse class of 10-17 year olds providing in-person instruction depending on local context.
- Progress Monitoring: Review and monitor the progress of all students and identify their individual learning needs in collaboration with Education Officer
- Reporting and Admin: Managing all admin tasks such as attendance and assessment reporting to the Education Officer
- Curriculum Design: All teachers are expected to contribute to the development of the existing academic curriculum and workbooks, working independently and as a part of the team. Teachers will collaborate on Still I Rise international education projects relating to other locations.
- Behavioural Management: Managing students with differing life experiences and adverse childhood experiences in collaboration with Educational Manager.
- Professional Development: Attend trainings and professional development meetings
All applicants are required a fluent knowledge of the English language- written and oral-, minimum age of 23 years and availability to work and reside in Greece for a minimum of 6 months without any VISA requirements.
- CELTA or TEFL English Teaching Certification preferred, Bachelors in Education or equivalent language instruction experience considered
- At least one year of teaching experience
- Strong commitment to humanitarian support work in a refugee context
- Adaptability and Flexibility- willingness to work in a challenging and changing environment
- Ability to communicate effectively in an honest and direct manner
- Ability to give and receive feedback
- Ability to mentor students on a daily basis
- Determined team player
- Creative and dynamic approach to distance learning
- Completion of CRB/background check
- Experience teaching children, teenagers and/or unaccompanied minors
- Experience working with refugee populations
- Experience providing interactive remote lessons and mentorship
- Knowledge of any of these languages: Greek, Arabic, Farsi, Kurdi, French
Shared accommodation will be provided a short distance by foot to the school. Additionally, we provide approximately 625 euros (gross) monthly to cover day-to-day expenses.
COVID-19 SAFETY PROCEDURES
Required testing and quarantine period dependent on Greek requirements and regulations. Once the country of origin is determined we will define an appropriate travel plan upon hire.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are invited to submit their application including their CV, the authorisation
to process personal data, and a cover letter in English by emailing:
firstname.lastname@example.org and specifying within the subject line “ENGLISH TEACHER”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.