Responsabile Programma – Etiopia
- Duty Station: Addis Abeba with frequent travels to projects areas (Gambella, Tigray, Somali, Dilla)
- Starting: ASAP
- Contract duration: 12 months
- Reporting to: Country Representative
Context and project description:
VIS – Volontariato Internazionale per lo Sviluppo [International Volunteer Service for Development] is a non-governmental organization dealing with international development cooperation and solidarity. VIS is also an educational agency that promotes and organizes awareness raising, education, development training and global citizenship activities. VIS is active in Ethiopia since 1998, mainly in Livelihoods, Education and Wash sectors. VIS priority objective in Ethiopia is to address the needs of the most vulnerable segment of the population, focusing mainly on children and young people, providing vocational trainings and job placement.
Since November 2020, a series of escalating clashes between the Ethiopian Federal Government and the Tigray Regional Government has resulted in a growing humanitarian emergency, since then VIS has decided to be engaged in humanitarian interventions in the Tigray Region. VIS is present also in the following areas of intervention: Gambella, Tigray, Somali, Dilla and Addis Abeba where there is the main VIS office.
General purpose of the position:
Working as a senior member of a team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Programme Manager manages all aspects of the implementation and development of the programme, facilitating the implementation of the country strategy, evaluating and managing all aspects of the VIS programmes. The Programme Manager also plays a key role in external representation, programme coordination and field teams leadership.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant field managers and in accordance with the project proposals ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with all country teams implementing and supporting the programme plans.
- Support field managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy
- Under the supervision of the Country Representative and in coordination with the Country Administrator ensure all in-country legal requirements are met including, reporting, insurance, work permits, contracts, etc., liaising as necessary with government departments and other official bodies.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, in collaboration with field managers and the Country Administrator, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe and advising the field managers of the financial status of the projects.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with VIS, donor, country and international standards recommendations.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Ensure frequent and appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and outputs, implementing corrective actions as required.
- University degree in Management / Development / Business Administration or in any relevant subject.
- 4-year post-qualification experience in a relief or development context.
- Previous working experience in Horn of Africa “desirable”
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Knowledge of Italian (spoken and written) is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills, including the ability to develop and manage effective relationships with current and new donors.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Proven report and proposal writing skills.
- Able to work with project budgets, financial reports and financial management systems.
- Capacity to work under pressure.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, dynamic, servant-hearted and problem solver.
How to Apply:
Fill the application form, object: Programme Ethiopia 964.
Include: a copy of the CV, a motivation letter and the references (at least 2 contacts).
Deadline for the application: 12nd July 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.