Position Title: ECHO-PROJECT OFFICER NORTH EAST SYRIA
Location: North East Syria
Period: 6 months with possibility of extension according to funding availability
Closing date of the vacancy: 19 September 2021 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: September/October 2021
Context presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is a voluntary association founded in 1991, immediately after the bombing of Iraq, promoting solidarity initiatives for Iraqis who suffered during the war. Un Ponte Per works in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organisations. In Italy, it promotes peace and disarmament, defends the common goods, and welcomes refugees and migrants. The aim of UPP is the prevention of new conflicts, particularly in the Middle East. This is achieved through advocacy campaigns, programs which educate and encourage cultural exchange, collaborative projects and peaceful civil interventions.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
BACKGROUND: Entering year 10 of the Syria crisis, conflict continues to expose civilians to acute humanitarian needs in health, WASH, Shelter, NFI and protection. In North East Syria (NES) widespread displacement, destruction of basic services and increased exposure to protection risks is on-going. In response, UPP and its local partners are running since 2017 a humanitarian Action in the health sector focused on providing timely and quality emergency and primary health care for the most vulnerable population affected by the conflict (camps and out of camps).
Through this intervention, aims to ameliorate living conditions and save lives of war-affected persons in NES. The Action will improve safe and equal access to primary health care and to ambulance referral system, together with health and protection prevention and community outreach. The Action provides support to 5 Primary Health Care Facilities, 2 Maternity Departments and 2 COVID-19 Treatment Facilities, and to a NES-wide Emergency Management Coordination Center for ambulance referrals management.
The planned outcome is to improve the health status of the conflict-affected population with a view of building the capacity of local actors and the resilience of communities in NES.
Un Ponte Per is looking for one Project Officer to support the Project Manager in the implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting of day-to-day activity of the Action, and in the achievement of final results.
Main project activities: Health; Referrals’ management; Protection Mainstreaming and Outreach.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the Project Manager (PM), the Project Officer is responsible to support the PM in the implementation of project activities according to project Work plan and to UPP and donor’s requirements, ensuring adequate supervision and monitoring, through:
- Management, supervision and regular monitoring of daily operations and specific Work-streams as agreed with the PM;
- Project information management (gather, analyze and track data) to help identify challenges and propose solutions to improve the quality of the Action;
- Effective communication and support coordination internally and externally, when required (partners, authorities, INGOs…);
- Provide regular reporting to the Project Manager and support the preparation of reports for HQ and the donor.
SPECIFIC TASKS DESCRIPTION:
- Development of weekly/monthly planning of the activities and manage their daily implementation and movements of staff to the field;
- Ensuring timely implementation of project activities in the areas of intervention, in line with UPP quality principles and donor guidelines;
- Take the lead and be responsible of the timely implementation and supervision of specific Work Packages, as previously agreed with the PM;
- Identify, document and report on technical and operational challenges and propose solutions;
- Ensuring project documentation for all implemented activities is complete, archived and in line with donor requirements;
- Ensuring coordination with the other project team members (MEAL Specialist, Protection Specialist, Project Admin, Supply Chain Manager) and UPP Heads of Departments for the good implementation of activities, and seek harmonization with other UPP actions;
- Provide weekly reporting on activities (achievement of results, activity monitoring, meeting reports, field visits reports, etc.);
- Support the organization of assessments and studies in coordination with the partner and MEAL Department;
- Ensure quality control and regular monitoring of project’s field activities through field visits and remote monitoring tools;
- Ensure compliance with UPP policies, guidelines and standards;
- Support the PM in the respect of UPP and donor’s reporting requirements (monthly and ad-hoc feedback, quarterly reports, interim reports, final report)
- Support the PM and HQ relevant staff in the collection of documents and in the drafting of new proposals;
- Work in close collaboration and coordination with the project partners and facilitate the collection and the revision of administrative and supporting documents from the partners;
- Ensure close collaboration with relevant local authorities and other humanitarian partners in the areas of intervention;
- Attend relevant external coordination meetings upon request of the PM and ensure follow up and reporting;
- Create and maintain a network in the area of operation and ensure information sharing with other relevant actors.
Note that this job description shall remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
- University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian Project Management, International Development or similar fields;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field in humanitarian / development cooperation sector, with international or local NGOs;
- Previous professional experience in project management;
- Knowledge of basics in PCM and reporting procedures, best practices, guidelines and tools for monitoring and evaluation;
- Relevant computer software skills with proficiency in Excel;
- Ability to travel in the Middle East with the same ability of a Western European passport owner. Ability to travel in Europe;
- Strong planning / organization skills;
- Excellent communication and relational skills (internal within the team and external with partners);
- Adaptable, independent and able to work on remote if needed.
- Experience in main donors funded projects (ECHO, UN, USAID, AICS etc.).
- Experience in Emergency projects.
- Experience in humanitarian interventions in health.
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors.
- Knowledge of Arabic, Kurmanji and/or Italian.
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and that s/he will not in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for two professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please reference “ECHO-PO – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application. In case you are interested also in other positions published in the same period, please apply with just one email and indicate your preferred order. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please name the files attached to your application as follow: surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc.