JOB TITLE: Partnerships Associate
ORG UNIT: Private Partnerships and Fundraising (PPF)
DUTY STATION: Rome HQ, remotely based
CONTRACT TYPE: Junior Consultant
DURATION: 11 months
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 12 September 2021
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Private Partnerships and Fundraising Division (PPF) is responsible for engaging the private sector (corporations, individuals, foundations) through high-impact partnerships in support of WFP’s strategic priorities. Serving as a broker between WFP and the private sector, PPF strives to mobilize funding, technical assistance, innovative solutions, visibility and awareness to help WFP fulfill its mission, while offering the public, companies and foundations the opportunity to create a world with zero hunger. PPF also serves as the in-house ‘consultant’ guiding WFP Regional Bureaux (RB), Country Offices (COs) and HQ Functional Units on partnership development, best practices, compliance and rules and regulations.
Starting in 2020, WFP is embarking upon a new partnership and engagement strategy, which focuses on cooperation with the business sector, foundations and individuals to drive progress towards zero hunger. WFP is focusing its efforts over the next strategic period (2020-2025) around three key pillars:
• Impact: partnerships that provide expertise and skills to support capacity strengthening for WFP and local governments
• Income: investing in and growing fundraising
• Innovation: identifying areas for innovation – particularly with businesses – uniquely able to drive change at scale
To get to a world with Zero Hunger faster, WFP is investing in and growing private sector fundraising and partnerships to reach more people. Partnerships Associate roles are exciting opportunities for entry-level professionals to help deliver the new private partnerships and fundraising strategy of WFP
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Partnerships Associate will be responsible for supporting the management of a portfolio of existing corporate relationships and provide additional project support to help the team deliver excellence in relationship management and growth in partnership income.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the management of the Mastercard partnership and, as defined, manage a portfolio of private sector partnerships and activities, developing and implementing annual workplans under the supervision of a senior manager.
- Support partnership growth, by exploring opportunities to expand existing partnerships and scope of new partners, guided by assessments, analysis and due diligence; Present recommendations to leadership and ensure follow-up.
- Prepare partnership proposals, strategic agreements, joint strategies and/or MOUs under the supervision of a senior manager, taking into account corporate norms, processes and external regulations; Ensure quality control of content by engaging with relevant functional units, RBs and COs.
- Prepare quality briefing materials; proactively highlight strategic opportunities and issues to management and propose options for the best course of action to nurture trust and interest in the work of WFP.
- Act as defined focal point roles with WFP internal departments, functional areas and Global Offices.
- Gather and share partner intelligence (including forecasting), using key information systems (e.g. WINGS, Salesforce, WFPGo), and assess results.
- Support functional units, RBs and COs to develop compelling partnership propositions for the private sector, where relevant.
- Prepare and follow-up on key events and meetings, including drafting and disseminating Notes For the Record; develop presentations, proposals, reports, briefing memos and other communications, in coordination with PPF colleagues, as well as WFP technical units and field operations.
- Proactively support a wide range of aspects of a partnerships portfolio, including partner profiling, data/trends analysis and outreach plan, to maximize resources and leverage policy and technical support for WFP’s work.
- Other responsibilities as required, including administrative support to the wider income team.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT
- Partners in portfolio managed using best practice processes and stewardship to deliver greatest growth and opportunity realisation with clear decisions made on extension and renewal where relevant.
- Accurate and effective support given to the securing and onboarding of new prospects, ensuring best ROI and ways of working in the delivery of agreements.
- Clear and accurate records of partnership intellience and insight are kept and are up to date on all relevant systems.
- Proactive approach to assigned focal point roles with clear information and support provided to departments and colleagues.
- Clear and accurate records kept of all activities with partners across internal systems.
- Effective support provided to wider team as required.
- University Degree in Business Administration, Management, Marketing, International Relations or other related fields.
- Between 3-4 years of demonstrated experience in a partnership role
- Demonstrable experience in fundraising, particularly cause related marketing (CRM)
- Knowledge of humanitarian/development sector a plus.
- Essential computer skills in Microsoft Office applications: proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other customer relationship management systems.
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and client-focused orientation.
- Detail-oriented; ability to effectively collect, analyze, organize, distill and present information in a compelling yet concise manner.
- Team-player who works well with different personalities and takes responsibility for individual work.
- Strong customer service mentality and interpersonal skills with ability to cultivate relationships; must enjoy working in a team environment.
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other customer relationship management system.
- Experience simultaneously working on multiple projects with deadlines; must be comfortable managing up and asking for help when needed.
- Curious about the organization’s mission and activities and how to identify areas of mutual interest with private sector partners.
- The ideal candidate will also be highly adaptable to change and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, with ambiguity, and competing demands with grace and humour.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable
Terms and Conditions
Consultancy assignment renewable upon funding. WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by role’s responsibilities and deliverables (please note that as per UN WFP policy the offer is not assessed on personal qualifications and expectations). Visit the website for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org – Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about our operations.
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.