Chief of Party – Sud Sudan
Aim of the position:
Under the supervision of the Country Representative and of the Regional Manager, the CoP has the key responsibility to coordinate and ensure the successful development and implementation of AVSI project in Eastern Equatoria and Lake State financed by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The successful CoP is fully committed to carry out the project in full respect of donor’s requirements, along with full commitment to AVSI’s approach to resilience projects and in line with AVSI’s mission and vision.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- To manage and coordinate the assigned project portfolio (in nutrition, FSL/agribusiness development, market value chain, GBV, protection and M&E sectors).
- Ensure high-quality programming through technical guidance and support that is grounded in the program’s strategic objectives and adheres to expected technical quality and reporting requirements.
- Contributing to the recruitment, inception and training of AVSI’s programme staff.
- Management of the projects staff, promotion of capacity building and co-responsibility within the team.
- To develop and maintain excellent relations with donor, partners and local authorities and with all stakeholders involved.
- To supervise and have the final responsibility for all project activities, and verify the correctness with respect to the project and financial planning and to the time schedule.
- To monitor and evaluate, to check the progress of the project and the evaluation of the most significant experiences.
- To collect and verify the project documentation necessary for the presentation of reports to the donor.
- To elaborate narrative reports as per donor procedures and proactive support for the preparation of financial report.
- To elaborate any other reports as required by local authorities and/or the donor.
- To be responsible for the logistic and administrative procedures for the assigned project portfolio in concert with Operations Manager and Country Representative.
- To represent AVSI in relevant coordination structures (i.e. Clusters and Working groups) and other meetings at Payam/State level.
- To carry-out any other duties and/or responsibilities assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree, preferably in a topic related to project management, international development or social sciences.
- At least 7 years of professional experience in managing projects in humanitarian/cooperation contexts.
- Previous work experience in international cooperation in Africa. Work experience in SSD is an added value.
- Previous experience in working with AVSI is an added value.
- Good knowledge of Italian language is an asset.
Required skills and experiences:
- Proactive, capable at working autonomously and with a sense of urgency when needed.
- Solid leadership and staff management skills, with a record of managing large, diverse teams and contributing to the capacity building to national and international staff.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work autonomously and support (possibly coordinate) multiple projects.
- Strong internal and external coordination and representation skills.
- Strong capacity to work under-pressure.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Capable of dealing diplomatically and communicating with people from different walks of life.
- Willingness to travel within the country.
- Respect of the mission, vision and values of AVSI.
Language Proficiency: Fluent in English.