Project Manager and Consortium Coordinator | Food Security and Sustainability in Fragile Situations Project in Puntland – Somalia
Closing date: 15/11/2021
Starting date: January 2022
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of renewal
Duty station: Nairobi (Kenya) 70% – Garowe, (Puntland, Somalia) 30%
Report to: Regional Coordinator Kenya and Somalia
CEFA – the European Committee for Training and Agriculture (Comitato Europeo per la Formazione e l’Agricoltura) is an Italian NGO, which was established in 1972 and is currently active in 10 countries across Africa, Latin America and Europe. CEFA lays its foundation on the principles of solidarity and cooperation between the different regions of the world in the name of Justice, Human rights and peace. CEFA believes in the development of communities and local institutions, aiming to improve families’ living conditions and communities’ economies through capacity building, awareness raising and advocacy for the protection of vulnerable person’s and their fundamental human rights.
CEFA has been working in Somalia since 1992 in the Middle and Lower Shabelle and in Puntland with actions mainly focused on Food Security, livelihood and resilience
CEFA is the main recipient and leading agency of the 4-years FSSFS-Food Security and Sustainability in Fragile Situations Project in Puntland, Somalia funded by AICS (Italian Agency for Development Cooperation) and IFAD (International Fund for Agricultural Development). The project started in June 2019 and it is implemented in partnership with VSF-G.
The Food Security and Sustainability in Fragile Situations’ main components are: 1) Irrigation and Climate-smart technologies; 2) Agriculture and Food Security, with a specific focus on the date palm value chain development; 3) Sustainable Livestock (implemented by VSF-G); 4) Documentation and Capitalization of Knowledge
Objectives and general characteristics of the position:
The Project Manager and Consortium Coordinator:
- (S)he is responsible for the overall management and supervision of the FSSFS Project, including coordination with project’s donors, implementing partners, local authorities, and main service providers.
- (S)he is in charge of the management of CEFA’s components of the project FSSFS- and the implementation of related activities.
- (S)he is responsible for the overall supervision of administrative and financial aspects, logistic, security, Human Resources, quality Control of CEFA component of the project.
- (S)he ensures that the project is implemented according to the contract signed with the donors, its rules and indications (e.g. visibility, documentation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting etc), MoU signed with the implementing partners and local authorities and CEFA’s internal procedures.;
- (S)he is directly in charge of the management of the CEFA led component of the IFAD and AICS funded project in Puntland, included (and not limited to) the following main tasks: predisposition of work plans, M&E plans, financial forecast plan, recruitment and coordination of all the project staff in Puntland (Garowe and Bosaso offices) and in Nairobi, supervision and coordination of the implementation of the activities, narrative and financial reporting; representation of the consortium with project’s stakeholders and local authorities.
- Under the supervision of the RC, (s)he recruits and evaluates the staff based in the projects sites and in Nairobi; (S)he promotes technical, administrative and managerial training of the project staff;
- (S)he ensures the proper planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the FSSFS project in Puntland;
- (S)he ensure sound Technical support and guidance, in collaboration with the technical experts in Nairobi, in the sector of food security and livelihood support to all the consortium member;
- (S)he is responsible for the effective and efficient management of CEFA Office and/or Guest House in Garowe and Bosaso in Puntland and for the adequate maintenance of CEFA project’s assets/properties in Puntland and in Nairobi;
- (S)he is in charge of the Security of the staff in Puntland and in Nairobi, including the organization of supervision and monitoring mission of national and international staff in Somalia;
- (S)he supports the RC in the identification and formulation of new project proposals in the area/region.
- (S)he facilitates the synergies, collaborations and sharing of best-practices among CEFA project areas in Kenya and in Somalia to effectively and efficiently implement CEFA’s activities (food security, livelihood, agriculture).
Duties and Responsibilities:
(S)he is responsible of the:
- Management of the entire national and international staff of the FSSFS project, ensuring the respect of all security regulations, HR policy and code of conduct, in coordination with the Area Manager in Puntland and the RC;
- Provision of high level liaison and coordination services with other NGOs that make up the consortium and other relevant stakeholders, such as local authorities, and representation of CEFA in key meetings;
- Coordination of the Irrigation and Agricultural Experts in Nairobi, and provision of high level technical support in the field of food security and livelihood;
- Remote and field monitoring of daily project implementation and follow-up on activities with the implementing team and partners;
- Management of the project budget and the fund requests to Nairobi Regional Office and/or HQ, administrative and financial management of the project and collection of the necessary documentation for the financial reporting;
- Formulation/update of the projects work plans, monitoring tools and regular reporting according to requirements of the donor and CEFA;
- Draft/revision and submission of periodical project reports required by the donors, partners and CEFA HQ;
- Procurement of goods, services and constructions according to CEFA and Donor procedures with the support of the Procurement Officer and Somalia Program Administrator;
- Information to the RC of any change/problem about the project, that may compromise the observance of the contractual bonds and/or the staff management and/or the presence and the good name of CEFA in the area/country;
- Management of mission from the donors, CEFA staff from HQ or Regional Office and any other relevant stakeholders in Kenya and in Somalia;
- Maintenance and management of the office/guest house in Garowe and in Bosaso;
- Identification and promotion of fundraising opportunities to co-fund the project with consequent formulation of concept notes and project proposals;
- The availability to perform any other task assigned by the Regional Coordinator in line with the profile.
- University degree in Development and Cooperation, International Relations, Project Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Agriculture, or a related field;
- Minimum 4 years’ experience of project managementin a development or humanitarian context;
- Previous experience of at least 2 years in managing projects in the field of food security, livelihood and agriculture and/or irrigation and climate-smart technologies;
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated experience recruiting, developing, and managing/mentoring staff;
- Strong financial management abilities;
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English;
- Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills, excellent advocacy and persuasion skills, able to think critically and motivate the team;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Prior experience successfully managing culturally-diverse teams to achieve project outcomes;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and with minimal support;
- Good command of MS Office applications and other computer programs;
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile environments with limited facilities;
Desired skills and experiences:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (agriculture, food security, livelihood related issues);
- Previous experience working in Somalia (preferably in Puntland) and/or in ASAL areas is an asset;
- Good technical knowledge in the fields of food security, agriculture and/or water (irrigation), better if at university level is a strong plus;
- Knowledge of Italian language is an asset;
- Previous experience in management of IFAD and AICS funded projects is a STRONG asset.
How to apply:
To apply please send your CV and cover letter, along with three (3) references to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: *NAME-FSSFS Project Manager, by 15/11/2021.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.