Project Manager | Early Recovery and Sustainable Waste Management Project – Siria
Position Title: Project Manager
Location: North East Syria
Duration: Initial contract of 9 months, with possibility of renewal
Closing date of the vacancy: 16TH December 2021 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: 1st January 2022
Context presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is a voluntary association founded in 1991, immediately after the bombing of Iraq, which promotes solidarity initiatives for Iraqis who suffered during the war. Un Ponte Per works in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy, it promotes peace and disarmament, defends the common goods, and welcomes refugees and migrants. The aim of UPP is the prevention of new conflicts, particularly in the Middle East. This is achieved through advocacy campaigns, programs which educate and encourage cultural exchange, collaborative projects and peaceful civil interventions. For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
CONTEXT BACKGROUND: UPP is present in North East Syria (NES) since 2015, and it is one of the main actors active in the sector of health. In the last years, its intervention expanded to the sectors of protection, early recovery and livelihood, and wash. UPP in particularly active in the sector of waste management; during the last three years it set up and consolidated a system for the safe segregation and disposal of health waste, while more recently started supporting local authorities in the establishment of more sustainable waste management systems. In this framework, the candidate will work on a project that aims at supporting the local authorities in the establishment of a first pilot recycling system for plastic.
Role and Responsibilities
Un Ponte Per is looking for one Project Manager that will be responsible of the following major tasks:
Project activities planning, implementation and monitoring
- Managing a project funded by the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona aimed at the establishment, in coordination with local authorities, of a first pilot system for plastic recycling in North East Syria;
- Preparing the work plan of the project, and ensuring the timely implementation of project’s activities in coordination with the Early Recovery, Livelihood and Wash Department (ERLW) and other relevant departments;
- Guaranteeing the monitoring of the activities and achievement of the project’s outputs and results, in coordination with MEAL department;
- Planning and managing the financial resources allocated to the project upon UPP administrative procedures and relevant Policies, donor requirements and approved expenditure forecasts in coordination with the administration department;
- Guaranteeing the timely procurement of the goods and services needed for the implementation of project’s activities and, in coordination with logistic department, guaranteeing that procurements follow internal rules as well as donor’s rule;
- Ensuring the coordination needed with other departments (logistics, administration, MEAL, ERLW, medical department, protection department);
- Selecting local or international staff to deploy in the project, in coordination with HR and in line with the procedures provided by UPP HR Manual;
- Managing project staff;
- Support the local authorities that are partners in the project in the planning of their activities, and constantly supervise their day to day implementation, suggesting corrective measures if needed;
- Carrying out constant field visit to supervise the implementation of the activities.
- Writing complete and accurate interim and final reports according to donor’s guideline. If needed, writing further periodic report for internal and external use;
- Ensuring financial reporting in a timely and accurate manner;
- Ensuring overall relevant project documentation (legal, financial, HR, MEAL, etc.) is compliant with UPP standards, up to date, accurate, well stored and organized, available, and easy to consult at any time.
Coordination, representation and communication
- Guaranteeing a constant and fruitful coordination with the local authorities’ partner in the project, maintaining constant communication (sharing documents, updates, tools) and carrying out periodic meetings and field visits;
- Ensuring communication flows across the projects operational team and between the field and HQ levels is continuous, prompt, accurate and collaborative and the requested information about the project progresses, critical events, bottlenecks, planning and financial insight are immediately available;
- Liaising with other INGOs and local NGOs if needed;
- Participating to all the relevant humanitarian coordination working groups and meetings if needed.
- Participating in the elaboration of new project proposals and concept notes (elaboration of the project idea, stakeholders’ engagement and involvement, etc.);
- If needed, participating to the elaboration, coordination and implementation of need assessments;
- Contributing to the writing of high-quality concept notes and project proposals.
- University degree in engineering, international relations, development cooperation or similar. A technical degree in relevant topics (environmental engineering, chemistry of materials, biology, etc.) is considered a strong asset;
- At least 2 years of experience in the management of development cooperation projects, including activities’ planning and supervision, budget management, donor’s administrative procedures and reporting;
- Good technical knowledge on topics related to circular economy, sustainable waste management, plastic recycling, environment protection, renewable energies, climate change, etc.;
- Excellent command and understanding of the project life cycle management from need assessment to evaluation;
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives;
- Previous experience working under pressure and/or in hardship duty station;
- Team working skills and proactive attitude;
- Experience of reporting and monitoring to tight deadlines;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coordinate activities;
- Determined and committed to high quality standards;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure, while maintaining flexibility and professional approach;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Ability to travel to Syria.
- Previous experience in the implementation of recycling projects in development countries will be considered a strong asset;
- Master, specialization or training courses on environmental topics, especially related to sustainable waste management. A technical knowledge on recycling (both from a point of view of processes and systems) is considered a strong asset;
- Experience in working with local authorities, and in the implementation of community-based projects (awareness raising, community engagement, etc.);
- Knowledge of the guidelines, including administrative procedures, of the major funding bodies (MAE, EU, ECHO, UN, etc.);
- Knowledge of the Middle East and previous experience in Syria;
- Experience facilitating trainings and workshops and mentoring others;
- Knowledge of Arabic or Kurdish.
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence, as well as to Anti-Corruption, Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism. By applying, the candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standards of SEA, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Corruption, Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism and that s/he won’t in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP, through the HR Manager and/or the Executive Director, will conduct extensive reference check and profound vetting on shortlisted candidates, also further to the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background checks might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process data on the base of the EU Regulation 2016/679 – GDPR and a brief cover letter (PDF format) that includes the contact information for three Professional References (relevant and recent) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “PM AMB – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application and name the files attached to your application as surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc.
Be informed that UPP screens prospective colleagues through anti-terrorism/anti-money-laundering/anti-corruption/anti-fraud sanctions lists before job offer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.