Country Representative – Benin
Reporting Relationship: Head of Regional Unit of North and West Africa
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) months collaboration contract subject to evaluation; a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Starting date: ASAP
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 25/11/2021
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Benin since 2008 (registered in January 2011) and her headquarter is placed in Cotonou. The organization collaborates with several local partners and is currently developing its projects in the departments of Zou, Collines, Ouémé and Plateau by supporting 14 municipalities, 48 villages including 25 schools. The intervention of We World-GVC mainly aims to support the rights of children to quality education, basic health, healthy food, protection; to promote the access of rural families (especially women) to the economic resources necessary for a life of dignity; to promote sexual and reproductive rights especially of young people and women. As part of its educational projects, WeWorld is committed to inclusive and quality education, accessible to all. WeWorld puts schools back at the centre of the life of rural communities and works in particular to strengthen child protection mechanisms at the community level. WeWorld aims to develop long-term partnerships with civil society: over the last ten years, 6 partnerships with Beninese NGOs have been developed within the framework of 15 projects.
Purpose of the Role
Under the guidance of Head of Regional Unit for North and West for Africa, the Country Representative is responsible for the strategic leadership and direction of the country program to achieve WeWorld-GVC’s vision.
The Country Representative is responsible for the sound implementation of organizational strategy and programs at country level ensuring the quality of the activities and the compliance to organizational ethical and accountability standards. The CR supervises personnel and manages financial, administrative, logistical, and operations of the country office. S/he develops and maintains relations with donors, local and national governments, organizational partners, maintaining a positive organizational profile. S/he leads a country team, including ensuring proper adherence to staff security and safety organizational procedures and policy. S/he leads/supervises the development of new proposals, the mobilization of new resources for the programs, and oversee and ensure the correct, development, implementation and management of projects.
Main functions and duties
Programme Management and Development
- Manage the child sponsorship programs, ensuring that the sponsorship campaigns are carried out according to the timetable and the procedures of WeWorld-GVC (Child Sponsorships Manual), in collaboration with the project officers and field officers and with the HQ
- Lead the development and implementation of high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and the organizational priorities
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition of new projects in the country, ensuring a long-term portfolio and achievement of annual targets
- Lead, guide and supervise the Projects managers on performance and quality control, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of Project deliverables, in compliance with WeWorld-GVC standards
- Lead and oversee the preparation and implementation of Programs documents (including SOPs, policy briefs, Programs plans and Risk Assessments)
- Oversee the financial and logistic sustainability of programs and operations through effective and efficient resources development effort, outstanding financial ratios, effective budget administration and procurement management (i.e. management and maintenance of project assets and regular inventories).
- Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating WeWorld-GVC achievements, competencies and interest at global level
Representation and advocacy
- Oversee the registration of WeWorld-GVC in Benin, according to the National Legal requirements
- Represent WeWorld-GVC in the Country in various fora on programmatic and technical issues, strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organization
- Engage and liaise with relevant national-level stakeholders (government representatives, donors, CSO, multilateral organizations, communities)
- Identify, engage and strengthen strategic in-country partners engaged in child protection, migration and human rights integrated responses, in line with WeWorld-GVC Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies, to grow the pipeline of opportunities in Benin, through a participatory process
- Identify additional areas of synergy and cooperation with donors, other NGOs, UN agencies and relevant institutions
- Promote WeWorld-GVC’s organizational identity and capacity towards all stakeholders and partners in Benin and ensure WeWorld-GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Head of Regional Unit, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to the identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement, in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance
- Coordinate with HQ, maintaining frequent contact with the Desk Officers, partners and leaders of the project as well as relevant donors, in order to keep a regular update on the implementation of the project and to develop strategic planning
- Identify and plan Human Resources needs (International and National)
- Timely inform HR HQ about both the present and the future International HR Needs (Annual and 3M updates) in order to facilitate a punctual recruitment process and deployment of the necessary workforce
- Direct and manage staff in the country, ensuring development of appropriate capabilities and competencies according to the strategic and operational needs of Programs/Projects
- Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of Human Resources in accordance with Policies and Procedures, and all regulatory requirements (WeWorld-GVC, host country legislation and donor’s policy)
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Develop a country security strategy based on HQ and country information
- Identify risks and threats and develop systems of early warning flags
- Coordinate in the design, testing and communications of appropriate security and safety plans and programmes
- Develop and document emergency preparedness and disaster evacuation plans and programmes
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human rights
- Good knowledge of Sponsorship Programs and main international donors’ policies and procedures. Good knowledge of MS Office
- Fluent French both written and verbal
- Working knowledge of English
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutional, private donors and sponsorship programs
- Proven experience in Project Cycle Management
- Sound project development and proposal writing experience
- Experience in Security Management
Skills and Abilities
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behavior to the needs of the situation
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Experience in education, protection, reproductive health, prevention of violent extremism
- Previous work experience in the area