Appointment of Secretary General
Terre des Hommes International Federation (TDHIF) is a leading independent, non-profit organisation founded in Switzerland in 1966 and has helped building a better future, for deprived children and their communities, in making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions.
As a global network, composed of nine national member organisations, TDHIF works worldwide for the promotion and implementation of children’s rights through 793 humanitarian and development projects in 70 countries, as well as through global, regional and national advocacy and campaigning work, run for and with children.
TDHIF is run by a small International Secretariat with essential advocacy, representation, coordination and standard setting functions. It has been awarded Level 1 certification for safeguarding children by the global Keeping Children Safe network.
The Secretary General heads the International Secretariat of TDHIF. He/she reports to the International Board.
- He/she is responsible for the implementation of strategy, activity plans within agreed budgets and for the reporting to the IB and GA.
- He/she gives leadership to the overall development of TDHIF and its organizational culture.
- He/she ensures the coherence, the relevance and the effectiveness of the activities of the secretariat as well as the positioning of Terre des Hommes on the global level (EU, UN, other) in line with the strategy decided by the International Board.
- He/she is the primary spokesperson for the Federation and the primary contact person for the Member Organizations.
- He/she assists the International Board in the fulfilment of their responsibilities and participates in the strategic development of the Federation.
- He/she oversees TDHIF campaigns and engages in joint projects as appropriate.
- He/she supports the development of the TDHIF working groups to maximise synergies among member organisations.
- He/she oversees common fundraising for joint TDH projects.
- He/she provides supervision and day-to-day management to ensure the smooth functioning of the Secretariat. The promotion of an effective team structure is an integral part of her/his responsibilities.
Key competencies and qualifications
Candidates must embody the key values of TDHIF and be driven by its mission. They demonstrate the following skills and qualities:
- Higher education qualifications
- Leader who encourages collaboration, innovation and inspired action
- Passion, experience and knowledge of membership-based networks and alliances
- Ability to inspire and articulate strategies and manage their implementation in a complex networked organization
- Good communicator as well listener to other people’s views and opinions
- Ability to inspire the staff team and a diverse array of networks globally
- Possess and manifest integrity and personal accountability
- Experience of working directly on child rights and/or Sustainable Development Goals is an asset
- Excellent written and spoken English. Other languages (especially French and Spanish) are an asset
An exciting opportunity for an individual with a genuine commitment to improve the lives of children across the globe. Personal development opportunities and good working conditions in a multicultural environment.
TDHIF is an equal opportunity employer. Our recruitment procedures reflect our commitment as an organization towards keeping children safe.
To apply, please send an up-to-date curriculum vitae (including comprehensive details of key achievements and responsibilities) along with a covering letter of application addressing the person specification at firstname.lastname@example.org . The closing date for applications is February 17th, 2022.
- Shortlisted candidates will have video conferencing interviews with the Selection Panel in week 9 followed by an in-person interview for finalist candidates mid March probably in Geneva (if the sanitary situation allows).
- The role is based either in Geneva or Brussels, though the Board is open to discussions of flexible working arrangements.
- The successful candidate will be expected to take up the post as soon as is reasonably practical.