Capo Progetto – Cabinda, Angola
Duty Station: Cabinda with frequent missions to Luanda
Starting: Februrary 2022
Contract duration: 12 months (renewable)
Reporting to: Country Representative (hierarchical referent) and Desk Angola HQ (functional referent)
Context and project description:
Since 1991 VIS [International Volunteer Service for Development] co-operates with Don Bosco in Angola, implementing projects to promote basic and professional education among the most vulnerable section of the population. At the beginning of 2022, VIS will extend its intervention area in the Cabinda region, in the North of the Country, where it will launch, with Don Bosco, actions in order to promote vocational training, access to work, reducing the school gap and activating social protection measures aimed in particular at children and young women. The project, in which the desired figured will be included, entitled “Cabinda integrated Project“, consolidates the actions already started by Don Bosco in the province of Cabinda, in particular through the creation of “Education Center Don Bosco” – its main objective is to strengthen the educational system for young people, through the activation of training courses, the integration of young people into the Local Labour Market, the promotion of renewable energy through cross cutting courses and the support to local micro-enterprises. The project is co-financed by ENI Angola and VIS is the Project Leader. The intervention will last two years and, among the main partners involved, the participation of World Vision has a strong relevance in the components of sustainable rural development, food security, access to drinking water, energy and basic health.
In addition to the creation of services for young people and women, the project aims to promote in all its parts the development and the participation in civil and social life of the most vulnerable young people of Cabinda, to consolidate dialogue tools with public institutions in order to improve public strategies and policies that most involve Angolan youth.
General purpose of the position
The Project Manager is directly responsible for the correct operational management of the entire project “Cabinda integrated Project”, ensuring the constant monitoring of actions and on-site expenses related to them. He/She will ensure and maintain an open and constructive dialogue with all local counterparts, associates, local staff and VIS office in Luanda.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Oversee all project actions, in particular related to the creation of The Don Bosco Education Center and monitoring project’s components owned by World Vision (partner of the consortium);
- Organize and launch the VIS office in Cabinda;
- Recruit and supervise the project’s local team;
- Guarantee, in coordination with the Don Bosco, the creation of professional training courses for young people.
- Guarantee the integration, in professional training courses, of educational activities about the following topics: renewable and eco-sustainable energies
- Promote the training of micro-enterprises and self-employment among young trainers by enhancing the renewable and eco-sustainable energy sector
- Coordinate with the Salesians of Don Bosco the transversal educational activities such as literacy, educational and recreational activities
- Start and coordinate the Office for the Employment Integration of Young Trainees and Advocacy for Support Services to Vulnerable Children and Adolescents, by launching partnerships with local thematic networks, public social protection services and local businesses;
- Monitor the progress of the creation of Education Center Don Bosco in accordance with the terms of the contract agreed with the construction company and the purchase of equipage;
- Monitor the implementation, in Cabinda, of the existing procedures between Salesians and INEFOP for the recognition of training courses by governmental authorities
- Supervise all project training activities directly managed by Salesians of Don Bosco;
- Supervise all the actions developed by local counterparts;
- Supervise World Vision project components in synergy with their project manager in Cabinda, verifying the compliance of the budget versus actual;
- Organize and promote regular coordination meetings with the main actors involved and participate in monitoring and coordination meetings planned by the ENI focal point in Cabinda;
- Implement the Monitoring Tools package provided by ENI Angola;
- Keep constant and regular contacts with the VIS office in Luanda through the Local Country Representative (RPL) and the Local Administrative Manager (RAL);
- Prepare the quarterly monitoring report, under the supervision of the RPL;
- Mantain good and constant relations with institutional partners, CSOs, local counterparts and Local Authorities involved in the implementation of project activities;
- Support RPL and HQ Thematic Reference Desk for the formulation of any new project proposals on Cabinda;
- Elaborate the intermediate and final narrative reports, in collaboration with RPL, RAL and Desk Angola;
- Collection and transmission of all additional information required by the RPL and the Desk Angola for the formulation of analytical reports;
- Transmission to the RPL of project visibility needs, news writing sections for the VIS site;
- University Degree in Education / Development/ Cooperation or in any relevant subject
- Minimum 5-year’ experience in project management roles in a development context
- Previous experience with issues and policies related to professional education and employment integration of young people and social protection is an asset
- Previous experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is an asset
- Minimum 3-year working experience with Don Bosco or other experience in voluntary activities
- Strong working knowledge of Portuguese (spoken and written).
- Knowledge of English is an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and work experience of the main donors procedures (AICS, UE, UNICEF)
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Good knowledge of monitoring and data analysis tools
- Knowledge of “Don Bosco’s preventive system” is an asset
- Capacity to work under pressure.
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Institutional relations management and cultural context understanding;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors
Application: fill the application form, object: PM Cabinda 1288
Include: a copy of the CV, a motivation letter and the references (at least 2 contacts).
Deadline for the application: 15 January 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.