Programs Manager – Siria
Location: Damascus, Syria
Type of contract: 12 months with possibility of extension (including 3 months as probation period)
Starting date: 1st of March 2022
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 23rd of January 2022
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
The presence of WWGVC in Syria dates back to 2011, when a EiE project in favour of Iraqi refugees in Aleppo and funded by the Italian Cooperation (AICS) was implemented. Since the beginning of the Syrian crisis WWGVC has provided humanitarian assistance to the Syrian population and IDPs through several interventions funded by multiple donors (ECHO, UN-OCHA, UNICEF, Italian Cooperation – AICS and Bolzano Province). WWGVC has focused its action in Aleppo, Rural Damascus and Deir-Ez-Zor Hard-to-Reach (HTR) areas implementing Education and Wash projects, in Deir-Ez-Zor, WWGVC was one of the first actors intervening after the liberation of the city from ISIS’ siege. Education interventions, in line with INEE standards and the Back to Learning (BTL) strategy, aim at promoting school access and quality education. WASH projects aim at increasing access to safe water for vulnerable communities through the light rehabilitation of WASH infrastructures (i.e. pumping stations, storage systems, water networks) and promotion of appropriate hygiene practices. WWGVC is present in Syria with a coordination office in Damascus, and two operational offices in Aleppo and Deir-Ez-Zor.
Purpose of the Role
The Programs Manager manages organizational Programs at the country level ensuring quality from development through execution. Identifies programming opportunities and areas where the organization can demonstrate its value and relevance. Builds relationships with donors and national counterparts creating a network of collaboration and highlighting the value the organization brings. Manages International and National Staff and budget.
The Programs Manager is under the direct line management of the Country Representative.
Main functions and duties
Programme Development (30%)
- In collaboration with the Country Representative and HQ coordinators, develops and implements an appropriate and effective strategy related to the Emergency Sector, setting clear objectives and indicators.
- Develops new proposals in collaboration with the Country Representative and HQ coordinators, involving a multisector approach, expanding the intervention of We World in new sectors.
- Provides strategic and technical guidance on key components of We World – GVC’s emergency work to foster good practice and ensure that humanitarian minimum standards are met in all sectors.
Programme and Project Management (40%)
- Monitors and supervises planning of projects activities, ensuring effective delivery in line with donor requirements and WWGVC’s mission.
- Prepares internal and external reports to ensure effective and timely information flows and reporting.
- Ensures timely information on progress and results is available.
- Compiles, organizes, analyses, monitors, and prepares data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes, and other reporting products.
- Undertakes field visits to gather the information on results related to the emergency response activities.
- Ensures that field data collection and analysis are performed in a results-based and timely manner for donors, audits, and internal purposes.
- Direct follow up/implementation of projects without a dedicated PM whenever needed and based on CR’s orientations.
Representation and coordination (20%)
- Participates in Cluster/Groups coordination meetings and other emergency working groups or meetings as required.
- Represents We World – GVC and feeds back to the Country Representative and HQ coordinators on relevant issues.
- Develops and maintains regular, transparent and accountable communication structures with the assigned project staff, HQ coordinators, as well as other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Provides effective We World – GVC representation to donors, national and local authorities, partners and other relevant stakeholders in the country.
- Supports donor relations by contributing to the production of various communication products for donors and accompanying donors during the field visits in coordination with programme and field officers.
Capacity Building and General (10%)
- Identifies learning and training opportunities for project staff and works as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff.
- Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of human resources in accordance with the policy and procedures, and all regulatory requirements (We World-GVC, host country legislation and donor’s policy).
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management.
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (ECHO, UN Agencies, EU, Italian Cooperation).
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Good computer skills, in particular MS Office package.
- At least 6 years’ of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings.
- At least 4 years’ experience in Project Cycle Management.
- Proven experience in project proposal writing.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to perform under stress condition.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards.
- Strong commitment to We World – GVC Mission.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Previous experience in Syria or in the Syrian crisis context
- Previous experience in Education or WASH.
- Knowledge of Arabic and Italian.