Health & Nutrition Coordinator – Yemen
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Health & Nutrition Coordinator – Yemen
Duty station: Sana’a and Aden (50% N and 50% S) and roving in all the bases of Yemen
Starting date: 15/03/2022
Contract duration: 12 months (4 months as probation contract) with option to extend
Reporting to: Program coordinators (1 North and 1 South) and Head of Mission
Supervision of: 2 Deputy Health Coordinators (1 North and 1 South)
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS works in Yemen since 2008, implementing multi-sector programming, with its main sectors being protection, integrated health-nutrition, livelihoods, and WASH. INTERSOS’ target populations are: all conflict affected populations (IDPs, returnees and host communities), in both rural and urban areas, refugees and asylum seekers and migrants, with specific focus on women/girls and children (including unaccompanied and separated minors) and persons with specific needs. Since 2015, INTERSOS has been implementing health programming (with integration of nutrition). With the rapidly collapsing Yemeni health care system, it has been paramount to support partially and non-functional health facilities to prevent total collapse/meltdown of health care system. Next to support for primary health care services, INTERSOS ensures also attention for Secondary Health care to ensure referral services, while supporting the WHO/MOPHP strategy to ensure the minimum service package (MSP). INTERSOS is an active member of the health and nutrition clusters both at central and hub level.
General purpose of the position
The Health Coordinator is in charge of the supervision, planning and coordination of the different phases throughout the project cycle relevant to the delivery of services through INTERSOS’ different health-nutrition projects in Yemen.
The Health Coordinator must ensure all activities meet/match matching INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols in order to ensure the delivery of quality healthcare for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
The Health Coordinator, in close collaboration with the program coordinators and HoM and the Health team, will be responsible for defining and implementing the strategy for health and nutrition sectors of the mission.
Main responsibilities and tasks
• Ensure coherence, structure, quality assurance for the ongoing programming
• Lead in the development of new projects/programs proposals
• Organise and report on monitoring/evaluation/assessment and learning (MEAL) for the sector on the mission providing proper analysis
• Assure innovation, cost-effectiveness and capacity development for the sector programme and the national teams.
• Supervise and coach/train the project technical teams ensuring planning, implementation, and monitoring/evaluation
• Train and coach junior national Health-Nutrition PMs
• Supervise the delivery of quality project activities reporting, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the level of beneficiaries achieved through the project.
• Attend the cluster/sector meetings and represent INTERSOS at central level in cluster/sectors and hub meetings > ensure linkage for sub-region and national level meetings.
• Responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the health and nutrition relevant content of the INTERSOS’ country policy, health strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health and nutrition needs into a strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed for the sector in order to cover the sector specific needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan and project plans are achieved.
• Provide technical supervision, guidance and management to all INTERSOS health and nutrition program > Overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of health and nutrition interventions by INTERSOS projects, including identify and remove barriers to patient safety, effective healthcare, and better patient-centered activities
• Continuously monitor the health and humanitarian needs in the Mission country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through assessment, monitor and review project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs to cover health and humanitarian needs of the population at risk.
• Ensure consistency of the health and nutrition program with the national and international standardized protocols, policies and guidelines.
• Liaise with local government and health authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors at national and field site level. Represent INTERSOS before MOPHP/GHO/DHO offices and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden sector-specific understanding and analysis, strengthening the impact of the health intervention and supporting advocacy actions.
• Ensure accurate data collection and reporting are submitted in a timely manner for all activities within the health and nutrition program providing proper analysis related to the collected data.
• Work with health and nutrition teams and logistic department to procure and pre-position drugs in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply at the intervention sites.
• Ensure the supervision of the pharmacy (consumptions, orders, and inventory) in collaboration with the pharmacist and link to the logistic department.
• In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of health staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication). Coach, train and directly support the health teams in the implementation of the health activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of MOPHP.
• Ensure regular monitoring missions on the different components of the program and to set up corrective measures in case of need.
• Review all reports prepared by the staff and ensure that reports are written and submitted to donors in a timely manner.
• Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings and in all relevant technical working groups.
• Organize monthly sector/department technical meetings and bi-monthly cross-sector meetings (program integration).
• Ensure good practice and system for internal and external referral of most vulnerable cases, in close coordination and collaboration with the protection coordinator for protection cases.
• Ensure PMs are delivering monthly timely, complete and qualitative a comprehensive project reporting (PAT – project appraisal tool) to the health-nutrition and programme coordinators and the HoM.
• Assure regular delivery of quality communication products on the projects to be used by the INTERSOS communication department and donors and in different outlets
• Actively collaborates with MedU in HQ to ensure a continuous flow of proper information and analysis in support of the implemented strategy and quality of the health program
• Perform any other related duties as required.
Required profile and experience
Hold an advanced degree in medicine. An additional degree in public health will be considered an asset.
Min 4 years of professional experience working as project manager in health sector and 2 year as medical coordinator in complex emergency setting is required; min with 2 year in Arab world.
• Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships government (MOPHP in particular) counterparts
• Experience with Health and Nutrition Clusters and different working groups – general and SAGs.
• Proven experience with donor compliance, proposal, budget design and reporting
• Excellent computer skills
• Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
• Strong experience with monitoring tools and information management systems relevant to health and nutrition sectors
• Demonstrated training and coaching experience
• Demonstrate experience with integrated programming (health, nutrition, protection (MH/PSS), WASH, etc.)
Excellent written and spoken English
Arabic would be asset (read and write), but ideally Arab native speaker with excellent English skills
Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
Strategic vision and planning
Strong representation and negotiation skills
Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
Constructive critical thinking
Ability to work and adapt in different environments
Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
Practical and problem-solver
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.