Protection Coordinator – Libano
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Duty station: Beirut, Lebanon with regular field visits
Starting date: 20/06/2022
Contract duration: 9 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Protection Specialist / MHPSS Specialist / Protection Managers / relevant protection focal points
Dependents: Accompanied duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit, humanitarian aid organization founded in 1992. INTERSOS works towards a world of equality, justice, peace and solidarity, to achieve this INTERSOS helps people to live in dignity and safety, alleviating suffering and meeting their needs. The mission of INTERSOS is to support people, families and communities in areas most affected by crisis around the world, providing crucial assistance to populations in life threatening situations, in situations of famine and suffering resulting from extreme poverty, disasters, and conflict.
INTERSOS started to work in Lebanon in 2006 to support the Lebanese people affected by the Lebanese-Israeli war. Since 2013 INTERSOS has been supporting the vulnerable populations in Lebanon affected by the Syrian conflict, including both Syrian refugees and affected Lebanese people.
Today INTERSOS has 4 bases in Lebanon (North, South, Bekaa and Mount Lebanon) operating in all Governorates of the country and implementing 6 projects in different sectors: Protection, which is the biggest part of the portfolio, WASH and Shelter. The main donors are UNHCR, and AICS.
General purpose of the position
The Protection Coordinator is responsible to:
- Design and draft the protection strategy for the mission based on context, identifying suitable approaches and interventions
- Design a Theory of change or a defined model of protection response and ensure it is aligned to the Global Protection Strategy
- Support the understanding of the community using participatory community engagement and strength based approaches. Ensure community mappings are done and adapt the program to the different scenarios
- Participate in situation assessments in current and prospective areas of operations (providing technical inputs and recommendations for new and ongoing interventions in the country and defining protection operational priorities when needed) and support the development of the mission policy, annual plan, position papers, budget review and project proposal and reports to donors
- Ensure evidence based response through researches and evaluation of the interventions
- Draft position papers for issue based response depending on context and learning papers on challenges and best practices to ensure technical quality of protection activities
- Support the implementation and monitoring protection activities according to INTERSOS protection strategy and project plans, standards and protocols
- Identify and build Niche areas of technical expertise at mission level and share learnings and good practices with other missions
- Ensure proper integration of gender, inclusion, disability and age in protection program
- Ensure cohesion and harmonization of protection activities and services across the different implementation sites within the mission
- Support the Programme Coordinator to finalize project proposals ensuring protection integration in the programme and the respect of international internal and donor’s protection standards and appropriate technical language
- Facilitate and guarantee protection mainstreaming in the other sectors
- With the support of the Head of Mission, lead the representation in relevant technical forum and with relevant stakeholders on Protection aspects
Main responsibilities and tasks
Technical Quality and Capacity building
- Is responsible for the capacity building of the entire protection team ensuring technical quality
- Draft SOPs for protection interventions (Case Management, Protection Monitoring, Cash, Legal, MHPSS, CB[P) and ensure the respect of it in all projects
- Conduct regular case audits, critical case conferences and learning events to provide guidance and to ensure adherence to standards and quality
- Design training materials for capacity building of protection staffs and ensure staffs respect the basic principles of protection and are trained to implement good quality programs
- Deliver trainings and workshops to non-protection staffs to build skills and knowledge of protection principles and enable them to mainstream protection in different sectors
- Develop resources and guidelines to support protection activities targeting children and adults in Case Management, PSS, Community Based Protection, Cash, Protection Monitoring and Holistic Protection Prevention and Response
- Work along with the Protection team and Specialists to ensure that all interventions are coordinated and that technical resources are available
- Create opportunities for experience sharing and learning within the protection team to strengthen cooperation and collaboration
Analysis and reporting
- Periodically (quarterly) analyse the protection trend and the data of INTERSOS protection intervention to identify needs, issues, trends
- Provide strategic protection analysis and development of periodic trend reports (including aspects of conflict analysis, gender and risk management) from programme experience to improve development, implementation and policy and advocacy activities
- Track indicators, ensure that protection data are collected, archived, processed, analysed and disseminated in ethical modalities, in line with internal data protection protocols. Manage protection database guarantying all the data are regularly encoded
- Ensure Protection reports are submitted to HQ on a monthly basis
- Support the Programme Coordinator and/or Project Managers to finalize external reports ensuring the protection integration, the respect of international internal and donor’s protection standards and the appropriate technical language
Coordination and support
- Contextualize and adapt internal and global guidelines, guarantying these are rolled out and known by staffs
- Update and inform the programme teams on the protection situation analysis
- Create opportunities for experience sharing and learning within the protection team in order to strengthen cooperation and collaboration
- Work with other coordinators for building integrated programmes in response to community needs
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits and provide support tools to monitor quality of programme implementation
Supervision and Staff Management
- Directly supervise, coach and mentor Protection Specialists and Protection Officers and conduct regular performance reviews (IRP)
- Review work plans of Protection Specialists and Protection Officers and define priorities together with Protection Project Managers
- Organize regular meetings with Protection Specialists, Protection Officers and Protection team to discuss implementation and ensure quality
- Organize ad hoc meetings with CMT and Project Managers to share challenges and priorities and develop action plans to address them
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal communication) of the staffs under her/ his responsibility in order to improve staff’s capabilities and activities and to ensure learning and development
- Design M&E tools for protection activities and interventions and provide guidance on use of the tools and ensure they are used
- Measure the impact of the activities and identify the best practices
- In cooperation with the accountability unit, support the development of complaints mechanisms for beneficiaries and make sure complaints are addressed properly
- In cooperation with the accountability unit, when required follow up on the implementation of the Child Protection (CP) and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies
Networking and partnerships
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations
- Maintain effective relationships with Protection, GBV and CP clusters and related working groups at national level
- Ensure that Protection Specialist and Protection Officers maintain productive relationships with sub clusters at field level
- Ensure that main protection concerns are brought to relevant stakeholders to advocate for the respect of human rights and minimum protection standards
- Coordinate with other internal departments to guarantee good collaboration
- Network with Protection Coordinators from other missions to share best practices and resources and participate actively in monthly HQ Protection meetings and internal thematic Working Groups
- Collaborate and support HQ Protection Advisor in the development of Technical Resources and Guidelines
Required profile and experience
- Master’s degree in Refugee law, International Human Rights Law, Psyhchology or related subjects.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (Social Science, Psychology, Social Work, Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law or other fields related to social development and humanitarian work) as acceptable with 8 years of work experience.**Professional Experience**
- At least 6-8 years in the humanitarian / NGO sector with at least 5 in a protection technical role and at least 2 years in a Senior Management, Coordination or Advisory position.
- Previous experience in the Middle East region (strongly preferred)
- Relevant experience in the different components of protection programming
- Perfect knowledge of all the phases of the PCM
- Experience in implementation of key protection interventions related to Case management, PSS and Community based Protection
- Strong theoretical, technical and practical background in protection
- Good computing skills**Languages**
- English (fluent)
- Arabic would be considered as a strong asset**Personal Requirements**
- Excellent diplomatic skills
- Ability to delegate and work in team
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads;
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.