Gender-Based Violence (GBV) Specialist – Siria
Location: North East Syria (NES) / Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI)
Period: 6 months, with possible renewals
Closing date of the vacancy: 26th May 2022 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting from: 01st June 2022
Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an international humanitarian organization, based in Italy. Originally named Un Ponte Per Baghdad (A Bridge to Baghdad), the association became simply Un Ponte Per after the extension of its work to the Balkans, as well as other Middle East and Mediterranean countries.
UPP is currently active in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy and in Europe, UPP works to promote peace and disarmament, human rights, and refugees and migrants’ inclusion. UPP strongly rejects war as a solution to international and national conflicts, it exerts restless efforts with the ultimate objective of developing more equal and peaceful coexistence up to social cohesion.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
Entering year 11 of the Syria crisis, conflict continues to expose civilians to acute humanitarian needs in health, and protection. In North East Syria (NES) widespread displacement, destruction of basic services and increased exposure to protection risks is on-going. In response, UPP implements health and protection programmes through funding of several donors, including ECHO, AICS, BHA.
UPP and local partners aim is to improve the physical and psychosocial wellbeing of the conflict-affected population with a view of building the capacity of local actors and the resilience of communities in NES.
SCOPE OF WORK
In coordination with the relevant Desk Officer at HQ and the Protection Coordinator, the Gender-Based Violence (GBV) Specialist will support the Protection Unit, streamlining protection principles and SoPs and building Gender-Based Violence capacities in the North East Syria (NES) Programmes.
The GBV Specialist will be responsible for conducting gender-based violence context analysis, partner and actor mapping and identification of capacities, needs and priorities in order to strengthen UPP Protection response for women and girls. The GBV Specialist will also work to develop UPP Protection and GBV programming through creating and providing needs-based capacity building and coaching to the Protection team and to the implementing partner. The GBV Specialist will support the implementing partner the set-up and implementation of Women and Girls’ Safe Spaces and Case Management services.
The selected candidate will work closely with UPP’s Health team and partner organizations on developing coordinated, integrated services that will adequately respond to the protection needs of the most vulnerable, including women and girls. In coordination with protection and health teams, the GBV Specialist will also ensure upholding of GBV mainstreaming in health facilities through training, safety audits as well as technical review of tools and practices.
The selected candidate will further contribute to the development of GBV-related protection prevention campaigns with the aim to increase self-protection capacities of the most vulnerable among communities affected by conflict.
The GBV Specialist in coordination with PM and Desk guidance will provide relevant technical input and substantially contribute to reporting (Donor, internal, ad-hoc) of monthly/interim reports, assessments and evaluations.
Key tasks and responsibilities
Technical backstopping & Capacity Building
- Provide supervision, technical support to UPP’s Protection team and partner organizations to implement GBV activities with high quality standards and in respect of Inter-Agency Minimum standards for GBV in Emergences, relevant international Protection standards and internal SOPs;
- Provide technical support to the implementing partners in order to strength local capacities to prevent and respond to GBV and ensure a correct implementation of the project in line with UPP internal guidelines and donor’s requests;
- Support the design, implementation and evaluation of GBV-related programming with partners;
- Provide technical advice on all issues relating to GBV in line with project workplan and UPP country strategy;
- Build the GBV capacity of UPP staff and implementing local partners, with a specific focus safe handling of GBV disclosures, case management services and PSS activities;
- Update/develop and rollout of internal SOPs on GBV Case Management services and Women and Girls Safe Spaces (WGSS);
- Support the IP in the implementation of activities and services provided in the WGSS according to the identified needs of women and girls;
- Provide support to GBV prevention and mitigation outreach strategy, including the implementation of awareness campaigns according to assessed needs (IPV, early marriage or other protection concerns for women and girls at-risk or survivors of GBV);
- Develop and implement country level GBV plans in coordination with Desk Officer and HoM, as part of the protection strategy;
- Contribute to Protection Sector Strategy development and roll-out in coordination with other sub-sector speciaists (i.e. CP, PSS etc)
- Participate in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with Protection Desk Officer and Coordinator.
- Support Project Managers and Protection Coordinator in the recruitment, management and supervision of UPP and partners local protection staff;
- Provide mentoring and guidance on GBV/protection issues to field staff in direct contact to persons of concern.
Monitoring & Reporting
- Contribute to Women Protection and GBV-related data collection, FCRM and ensure Do No Harm and beneficiary accountability throughout the program;
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required;
- Devise and implement a GBV M&E plan, in coordination with MEAL and technical teams for protection data collection tools, assessments and evaluations;
- Monitor protection referrals and report on incidents through working relations with program staff, partners and other stakeholders;
- Contribute to reporting (external and internal) related to GBV and protection related project activities.
Coordination & Representation
- Maintain close coordination with Project Management and technical teams;
- Liaise and maintain good relations with local partners, other INGO and with all relevant stakeholders;
- Represent UPP in GBV sub-working group and other relevant IA fora;
- Stay abreast of developments in the area that have an impact on the protection environment and represent UPP at relevant cluster / working group and other meetings with donors, (I)NGOS, and external stakeholders;
- Performing any other task relevant to the project and position assigned by the HoM, Desk Officer, or Protection Coordinator.
Education & experience
- University degree in Social Sciences, Social Work, Human Rights, International Affairs or related fields.
- 3+ years relevant professional experience in in GBV in Emergencies;
- Experience in designing and delivering training programmes on GBV in emergencies;
- Experience in delivering GBV Case Management services, WGSS and/or PSS activities.
- Experience in delivering technical guidance such as producing technical documents, assessments, evaluations and reporting on protection activities/issues;
- Experience in reviewing and aligning sector tools and strategic documents in line with GBViE standards;
- Proven communication and behavioral skills to work directly with affected communities;
- Proven record of positive collaborative experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, and others);
- Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and matching deadlines;
- Solid Team working and management skills;
- Proactive attitude;
- Excellent computer literacy skills;
- Excellent oral and written English
- Ability to travel in the Middle East and in the EU.
UPP requires criminal background check certificate (released max 3 months before the date of job offer) to confirm a job offer. We are aware that in some countries the release of criminal background certificate by the competent authorities might require several weeks. However, UPP runs selections to deploy staff in emergency programs and time-lapse between job offer and field deployment is often very short. Thus, we kindly ask all candidates to get prepared on time and be able to submit their certificate promptly in case of success in the selection.
- Prior experience of donor procedures including EU and BHA is an asset;
- Familiarity with GBV in Emergency related projects and tools;
- Experience delivering remote technical guidance and trainings;
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors;
- Knowledge of Arabic / Kurmanji is a strong asset.
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and that s/he will not in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process data on the base of the EU Regulation 2016/679 – GDPR and a brief cover letter (PDF format) that includes the contact information for three Professional References (relevant and recent) to: email@example.com Please reference “GBV Specialist – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application and name the files attached to your application as surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc. Be informed that UPP screens prospective colleagues through anti-terrorism/anti-money-laundering/anti-corruption/anti-fraud sanctions lists before job offer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position Un Ponte Per reserves the right to screen applications on a rolling basis.