Country Finance Manager – Siria
Location: Damascus, Syria
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Starting date: 1 July 2022
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organization where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, UNHABITAT and Belgium (DGD).
The presence of WeWorld-GVC in Syria dates back to 2011, with an emergency education intervention in favour of Iraqi refugees in Aleppo. The programme aimed at improving the quality and the accessibility of educational services for students, with special needs in 12 primary schools in Aleppo.
Since 2014, WeWorld-GVC has been providing humanitarian assistance to the Syrian population and IDPs with interventions in different sectors such as Education in Emergency and Wash.
At present, the main donors are EU (ECHO), individual countries (AICS) and United Nations.
Within this framework, WeWorld-GVC is recruiting a Country Finance Manager (CFM) who, under the general direction of the Country Director, will be responsible for the following:
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Track and manage deliverables and timelines related to grants, contracts, vendors, and partners
- Monitor grant administration to ensure compliance with reporting and expenditure requirements
- Supervise compliance of administrative documents and their proper filing
- Ensure the smooth flow of administrative information and data to the HQ
- Supervise flow of administrative information from project partners and the compliance with MoU
- Supervise and approve regular accounting, including monthly reconciliations, monthly and yearly closing of accounts, monthly journal entries
- Supervise the preparation of financial reports, in coordination with HQ and local administrative team, to ensure conformity with donors’ procedures
- Supervise and approve annual financial report
Budget and planning
- Collaborate with the Country Director, Sectors Coordinators and Project Managers to develop budgets
- Collaborate with the Project Managers and Sector Coordinators to monitor actual and forecasted expenses against budget to avoid under or overspending on the projects
- Monitor financial flows of the projects
- Coordinate the preparation and constantly monitor/update of core budget of GVC in the Country
- Provide the Regional Finance Coordinator with official documentation on individual projects and contracts
- Collaborate to the management of financial audit carried out on the projects
- Supervise yearly financial audit on general accounting for local authorities
- Prepare information and be directly responsible for any assessment/audit performed by donor on GVC administrative procedure
- Implement administrative routines, procedures, and systems to increase efficiencies
- Ensure compliance with Local Operational Manual and develop procedures to implement organizational policies
- Supervise administrative and finance local personnel to complete routine tasks and provide for their capacity building
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Degree in Economics, Political Science or related fields Excellent computer skills including full working knowledge MS Office and Internet
- Accountancy skills and ability to prepare financial reports
- Good knowledge of main donors’ administrative rules and procurement procedures (ECHO, UE, UN, AICS)
- Fluency in English both written and verbal
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in a finance/accounting role overseas, in the international cooperation and humanitarian aid sector
- Experience in budgeting and budget monitoring
- Experience in managing grant contracts for emergency/post-emergency projects
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and team skills
- Problem-solver approach with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and creating efficiencies
- Ability to manage relationships with international and local partner organizations and donors
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the NGO values and ethical standards; displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Previous experience in Middle East countries would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic would be considered an asset