Project Coordinator | Water in agriculture sector – Libano
Shouf Biosphere Reserve, Lebanon
Istituto Oikos (www.istituto-oikos.org) started its work in Milan in 1996 and it now operates in Europe and in the South of the world to promote responsible management of natural resources and spread more sustainable life models as tools for socio-economic development and to fight poverty. The vision of Istituto Oikos is a future in which ecology, economy and equity are integrated, reconciling the needs of men and the environment. The Mission is to contribute to the conservation of ecosystems by promoting development with professionalism, innovation and participation.
Istituto Oikos has been working in Lebanon since 2016, when the programme of the Nubian Ibex reintroduction in the Shouf Biosphere Reserve launched the fruitful collaboration with the local NGO Al-Shouf Cedar Society (ACS), specifically created for the Reserve management. Besides the Nubian Ibex programme, Istituto Oikos is currently running in Lebanon larger projects in the fields of biodiversity, conservation of natural resources, water management in agriculture, food security.
Duty station: Lebanon, Maasser el-Shouf (Mount Lebanon Governorate, Shouf Biosphere Reserve) with frequent transfers to Beirut and to other project areas
Salary and level of classification: Co.co.co 2.800€/3.000€ monthly gross salary, according to work experience and qualifications held
Duration: 12 months renewable
Collaboration beginning (tentative): immediate
We are looking for a highly motivated person, with strong commitment for institutional relations and a solid multi-tasking approach, complemented by in-depth knowledge of water resource management in the irrigation/agriculture field in developing countries.
The selected candidate will be leading the implementation of a project funded by the European Union (SWIM program) focused on the introduction of an innovative technology for irrigation to contrast climate change by reducing water and energy use. The project, which started in late 2020 and is currently about halfway, is being implemented in the Shouf Biosphere Reserve (SBR), supported by the University of Trento for the installation of the innovative solution and the monitoring process and in collaboration with the local NGOs Al-Shouf Cedar Society (ACS) and Association for Community and Environment (ACE).
The project aims at promoting the adoption of an innovative water-saving solution for sustainable irrigation in the development zone of the Shouf Biosphere Reserve. The installation of the innovative system in a specific target area of the Reserve will be accompanied by a strong multi-level training component, addressed to farmers as direct users, to local authorities in charge of water management, and to private sector actors as potential players in the reselling and maintenance of the introduced innovative solution. An extensive awareness plan will complement the action to increase the familiarity with the innovative solution and out-scale it at the local, national and regional levels, with the scope of reducing the risks of climate-induced economic losses for local population and avoid freshwater resources depletion.
This position requires strong leadership skills, representation, communication and risk management abilities as well as professional experience in building and developing partnership networks.
The main responsibilities will be:
- Manage the implementation of the project, ensuring donor compliance while meeting all technical and program quality standards, in accordance with Istituto Oikos’ internal procedures in coordination with the headquarters office and technical advisors.
- In collaboration with the Oikos HQ Administrative Office, ensure the overall financial management of the project: financial project planning, budget forecasting, verifying that the financial resources are spent accordingly to the project budget.
- Maintain sound relationships with project partners, beneficiaries and Local Authorities through continuous follow-up and ensuring technical support through participatory processes.
- Coordinate the capacity building support to the project team, partners, relevant local authorities and community groups, ensuring coordination with key partners and technical a
- Coordinate the local staff assigned to the project in collaboration with the main partner ACS, providing the needed coaching and supervision.
- Ensure an efficient supervision of the communication and visibility plan, appropriately involving and addressing the different target groups to guarantee the success of the initiative’s goals in terms of dissemination and awareness.
- Maintain constant contact with the project’s donor and other potential funding bodies, participate in on-site coordination meetings of international agencies, NGOs and clusters in relevant sector
- Contribute to the definition of new projects and a long-term Country strategy for the area of
- In-depth knowledge and experience in International Cooperation projects, preferably in the sectors of water irrigation systems, water engineering, water infrastructure and/or water supply (at least 3 years of Project Management experience in similar contexts).
- Technical knowledge of water resource management in the irrigation/sustainable agriculture field (Water for irrigation, water efficiency, irrigation, advanced technological systems, etc.).
- Strong managerial skills: demonstrated experience leading and managing teams and ability to represent, liaise and negotiate at different levels.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, fostering, and working in partnership with local/national organizations. Good capacity building, coaching and training skills.
- Commitment to participatory management and maintaining a supportive and open environment to ensure the learning and involvement of all staff.
- Degree-level qualification in water supply/sanitation, environmental sciences, agronomy, hydraulic engineering or similar.
- Good level of organizational autonomy and ability to manage economic and human resources.
- Demonstrated experience on concept and proposal writing.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Good knowledge and skills in projects’ financial management (procurements, general administration, logistics).
- Experience in managing EU funded actions.
- Experience in managing multi-stakeholder projects, preferably in the water and/or agriculture sector.
- Previous work experience in Lebanon or the Middle East.
- Familiarity with the Arabic language could be beneficial.
To apply, please send your CV, short letter of motivation with authorization to process personal data pursuant to articles 13 and 14 of G.D.P.R. (General Data Protection Regulation EU Regulation 2016/679 Legislative Decree 196/2003) to:
Deadline: 3 July 2022. Given the urgency of filling the position, Istituto Oikos reserves the right to close the selection before the deadline in case the suitable candidate is identified.
Indicate in the object: LB/SW/PM/22
NOTE: Only short selected candidates will be contacted for a first interview and subsequently updated on the status of the selection.
This selection respects the principle of equal opportunities (Law 903/77).