Project Coordinator | Expert in natural resource management – Libano
Shouf Biosphere Reserve, Lebanon
Istituto Oikos (www.istituto-oikos.org) started its work in Milan in 1996 and it now operates in Europe and in the South of the world to promote responsible management of natural resources and spread more sustainable life models as tools for socio-economic development and to fight poverty. The vision of Istituto Oikos is a future in which ecology, economy and equity are integrated, reconciling the needs of men and the environment. The Mission is to contribute to the conservation of ecosystems by promoting development with professionalism, innovation and participation.
Istituto Oikos has been working in Lebanon since 2016, when the programme of the Nubian Ibex reintroduction in the Shouf Biosphere Reserve launched the fruitful collaboration with the local NGO Al-Shouf Cedar Society (ACS), specifically created for the Reserve management. Besides the Nubian Ibex programme, Istituto Oikos in Lebanon is currently running larger projects in the fields of biodiversity, conservation of natural resources, water management in agriculture, food security.
Work location: Maasser el-Shouf (Mount Lebanon Governorate, Shouf Biosphere Reserve) with frequent transfers to Beirut and to other project areas
Salary and level of classification: Co.co.co 3.000€/3.600€ gross salary, according work experience and qualifications held
Duration: 12 months renewable
Collaboration beginning (tentative): 1st October 2022
We are looking for a highly motivated person, with a solid multi-tasking approach and a background in the environmental sector on issues related to climate change, reforestation, sustainable agriculture.
The selected candidate will be leading the implementation of a three years project funded by the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS) in the field of Climate Change resilience, aiming to ensure the conservation and sustainable management of mountain ecosystems in three Lebanese Nature Reserves: the Shouf Biosphere Reserve (SBR), the Jabal Moussa Biosphere Reserve (JMBR) and the recently established Mount Hermon Nature Reserve (MHNR). The goal will be pursued through an integrated approach that includes: agro-forestry-pastoral landscape planning, implementation of concrete actions for the restoration of ecosystem services in priority sites for each Reserve, promotion of the use of biomass with the dual objective of sustainability of energy consumption and reduction of climate-related risks.
Oikos will be the leading manager of the Project and will be supported at local level by the Al-Shouf Cedar Society (ACS). The selected person should be able to suitably liaise with a wide range of stakeholders.
This position requires strong leadership skills, representation, communication and risk management abilities as well as professional experience in building and developing partnership networks.
The main responsibilities will be:
- Manage the implementation of the project, ensuring donor compliance while meeting all technical and program quality standards, in accordance with Istituto Oikos’ internal procedures in coordination with the headquarters office and technical advisors.
- Lead in organising various activities, which may include coordination and liaising with program partners and stakeholders, technical support in managing the day-by-day operations, documentation of the proceedings, budgeting and drafting of activity accomplishment reports;
- Coordinate the capacity building support to the project team, partners, relevant local authorities and community groups, ensuring coordination with key partners and technical a
- Maintain sound relationships with project partners, beneficiaries and Local Authorities through continuous follow-up and technical support, supporting them through participatory processes.
- Coordinate Oikos’ international and local staff operating in the SBR in collaboration with the main partner ACS, providing the needed coaching and supervision for the staff under her/his direct responsibility.
- In collaboration with the Oikos HQ Administrative Office, ensure the overall financial management of the project: financial project planning, budget forecasting, verifying that the financial resources are spent accordingly to the project budget.
- Support the MEAL team in the monitoring activities, which may include providing technical support and organizing surveys, key informant interviews, focus group discussions, and gathering data and information.
- Ensure an efficient supervision of the communication and visibility plan, appropriately involving and addressing the different target groups to guarantee the success of the initiative’s goals in terms of dissemination and awareness.
- Maintain constant contact with the project’s donor and other potential funding bodies, participate in on-site coordination meetings of international agencies, NGOs and clusters in relevant sector, maintaining a steady relationship with local administrations and partners.
- Contribute to the definition of new projects and a long-term Country strategy for the area of
- In-depth knowledge and experience in International Cooperation projects in the environmental sector (at least 5 years of Project Management experience in similar contexts).
- Technical knowledge and skills in the implementation of Climate Change Adaptation actions, especially related to forestry and biodiversity conservation, sustainable agriculture or renewable energies.
- Strong managerial skills: at least 2 years’ experience in managing large projects/programs, leading and managing teams.
- Ability to represent, liaise and negotiate at different levels.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, fostering, and working in partnership with local/national organizations. Good capacity building, coaching and training skills. Degree-level qualification in forestry or related fields (environmental sciences, agronomy or similar).
- Proven ability to design project proposals for international donors.
- Good level of organizational autonomy and ability to manage economic and human resources.
- Excellent ability to plan, manage and monitor activities.
- Excellent knowledge of English and fluency in Italian.
- Familiarity with projects’ financial management, especially in the design and preparation of tender documents, procurements and general administration, logistics.
- Previous work experience in Lebanon or the Middle East.
- A basic knowledge of the Arabic language could be beneficial.
To apply, please send your CV, letter of motivation (maximum 1 page) with authorization to process personal data pursuant to articles 13 and 14 of G.D.P.R. (General Data Protection Regulation EU Regulation 2016/679 Legislative Decree 196/2003) to:
Deadline: 17 July 2022, although Istituto Oikos reserves the right to close the selection before the deadline in case the suitable candidate is identified.
Indicate in the object: LB/RES/PM/22
NOTE: Only short selected candidates will be contacted for a first interview and subsequently updated on the status of the selection.
This selection respects the principle of equal opportunities (Law 903/77).