Project Manager Senior – Siria
Position Title: Project Manager (PM) Senior
Location: North East Syria (NES) / Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI)
Period: 7 months with possibility of extension
Closing date: 26 June 2022 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting Date: August 2022
Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an international humanitarian organization, based in Italy. Originally named Un Ponte Per Baghdad (A Bridge to Baghdad), the association became simply Un Ponte Per after the extension of its work to the Balkans, as well as other Middle East and Mediterranean countries.
UPP is currently active in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy and in Europe, UPP works to promote peace and disarmament, human rights, and refugees and migrants’ inclusion. UPP strongly rejects war as a solution to international and national conflicts, it exerts restless efforts with the ultimate objective of developing more equal and peaceful coexistence up to social cohesion.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
Entering year 11 of the Syria crisis, conflict continues to expose civilians to acute humanitarian needs in protection and health, while protracted conflict worsens socio-economic resources and coping mechanisms. In North East Syria (NES) widespread displacement, destruction of basic services and increased exposure to protection risks is on-going, with women and children continuing to be some of the most affected by violence, abuse and exploitation. In response, UPP implements health and protection programmes through funding of several donors, including BHA, ECHO, AICS and other EU member states.
UPP and local partners aim is to improve the physical and psychosocial wellbeing of the conflict-affected population with a view of building the capacity of local actors and the resilience of communities in NES.
SCOPE OF WORK
Un Ponte Per is looking for one Project Manager that will be responsible of the following major tasks:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervising and coordinating the work of the different components of UPP team in the LEARN Consortium. The Project Manager has the overall accountability for the implementation, quality, and coordination of the LEARN cluster activities;
- Setting up, planning, and supervising the implementation of project activities in close co-operation with key project staff and referring to UPP Program Desk and Admin Desk for the relevant aspects;
- Monitoring project activities and ensuring the achievement of outcomes in compliance with the LEARN project;
- Assessing overlaps and dependencies between the projects under the supervision of the HoM;
- Work with the Project Officer to ensure that the project progresses smoothly, correctly and on time and targets;
- Ensuring continuous and consistent coordination with Technical Advisors, MEAL Manager and Protection Coordinator by designing dedicated coordination system and obtaining approval by Program Desk;
- Ensuring all staff in line management regularly report to mirroring/relevant posts in the mission and in HQ, with a particular focus on the communication in the financial department (LEARN Project Admin, Admin Officers and dedicated Admin Desk);
- Writing the Monthly Narrative Report in coordination with HQ Reporting Officer;
- Upon UPP HR Manual and BHA guidelines selecting local staff to deploy in the BHA project;
- Managing and coordinating against project work-plan and results, a team of local and international staff employed within the project;
- Ensuring overall relevant project documentation (legal, financial, HR, MEAL, etc.) is compliant with UPP standards, up to date, accurate, well stored and organized, available, and easy to consult at any time;
- Follow up on UPP’s local implementing partner -KRC- and ensure capacity building of their staff upon UPP due diligence and LEARN Consortium inputs, quality performance and regular check-ups for the LEARN project;
- Ensuring program and financial reporting in a timely and accurate manner;
- Managing the financial resources allocated to the project and ensure the compliance of the expenditures with donor requirements;
- Liaising with INGOs, local authorities and other stakeholders in the spectrum of LEARN project;
- Liaising with LEARN Consortium personnel at Technical Advisory Group level and ensuring the daily project components happens in compliance with donor requirements;
- Activating and managing Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) when needed;
- Participating to all the relevant humanitarian coordination working groups and meetings;
- Performing any other task in line with the above assigned by the Programme Desk.
- University degree preferably in relevant subjects (Social Work, Gender Studies, Humanitarian Affairs, International Development, International Relations, Environmental Engineering) or equivalent working experience;
- At least 3 years of responsibility in international cooperation projects;
- Knowledge of the guidelines, including administrative procedures, of the major funding bodies (MAE, EU, ECHO, UN, etc.);
- Excellent command and understanding of the project life cycle management from need assessment to evaluation;
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives;
- Previous experience working under pressure and/or in hardship duty station;
- Team working skills and proactive attitude;
- Experience of reporting and monitoring to tight deadlines;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coordinate activities;
- Determined and committed to high quality standards;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure, while maintaining flexibility and professional approach;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Ability to travel in the Middle East with the same ability of a Western European passport owner. Ability to travel in Europe.
UPP requires criminal background check certificate (released max 3 months before the date of job offer) to confirm a job offer. We are aware that in some countries the release of criminal background certificate by the competent authorities might require several weeks. However, UPP runs selections to deploy staff in emergency programs and time-lapse between job offer and field deployment is often very short. Thus, we kindly ask all candidates to get prepared on time and be able to submit their certificate promptly in case of success in the selection.
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors;
- Technical knowledge and working experience in the WASH sector, especially with focus on medical waste management and waste management in general, including waste recycling and ecological programs;
- Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, and others) or managing consortium of NGOs;
- Previous work experience in UN funded projects;
- Experience facilitating trainings and workshops and mentoring others;
- Knowledge of Arabic or Italian is an asset.
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and that s/he will not in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
HOW TO APPLY Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process data on the base of the EU Regulation 2016/679 – GDPR and a brief cover letter (PDF format) that includes the contact information for three Professional References (relevant and recent) to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference “PM LEARN – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application and name the files attached to your application as surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc. Be informed that UPP screens prospective colleagues through anti-terrorism/anti-money-laundering/anti-corruption/anti-fraud sanctions lists before job offer. Only