Country Representative – Afghanistan
Reporting Relationship: Head of Regional Unit
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Dependents: Non-family duty station
Starting date: 1st December 2022
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Head of Regional Unit and Head of International Programmes Department); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract (according to fund availability)
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile and WeWorld-GVC salary scale
R&R: The duration of R&R consists of 5 (five) consecutive calendar days not charged to annual leave each 8 (eight) weeks
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
WeWorld-GVC dated back is presence in Afghanistan at 2002 when, in Kabul, it started to support orphanages; in 2008 WeWorld established his operational base in Herat Province. For around 15 years WeWorld-GVC has managed humanitarian and development projects in Herat region mainly funded by the UN and the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS).
During the last three years, WeWorld-GVC has suspended its direct implemented programmes in Afghanistan, while keeping contacts with its former staff in the field and collaboration with local partners.
The summer of 2021 saw collapse of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the establishment of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, following the withdrawal of the U.S. led coalition forces and the capture of Kabul by the Taliban. The economy has drastically shrunk by 40%, partly as a result of the collapse of the financial system that has prevented much-needed cash from entering and sustaining the country. As such, the livelihoods of many families have been lost and households struggle to pay for food, water, rent, electricity and other basic necessities.
As a result of the a.m. crisis, WeWorld-GVC reactivated its programs and a first response plan has been developed together with RRAA, a well-established local NGO with whom WeWorld-GVC collaborated in the past. WeWorld-GVC on-going programme is focused on Cash for Food addressing the needs of women headed families in Heart Governorate and assessment are on-going for Education in Emergency responses.
Purpose of the Role
The Country Representative directs organizational programmes at the country level ensuring quality of the activities, from development through execution, included budget management and Human Resources Management (International and National Staff). Identifies programming opportunities and areas where the organization can demonstrate its value and relevance. The Country Representative develops relations with and represents the organization to donors, local and national governments, organizational partners, to maintain positive organizational profile, and is responsible for the security management in the country.
MAIN FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Programme Management and Development
- Oversee the registration of WeWorld-GVC in Afghanistan according to the National Legal requirements
- Lead the development and implementation of high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and the organizational priorities
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition of new projects in the country, ensuring a long-term portfolio and achievement of annual targets
- Lead, guide and supervise the Projects managers on performance and quality control, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of Projects deliverables, in compliance with WeWorld-GVC standards
- Lead and oversee the preparation and implementation of Programs documents (including SOPs, policy briefs, Programs plans and Risk Assessments)
- Oversee the financial and logistic sustainability of programs and operations through effective and efficient resources development effort, outstanding financial ratios, effective budget administration and procurement management (i.e. management and maintenance of project assets and regular inventories)
- Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating WeWorld-GVC achievements, competencies and interest at global level
Representation and advocacy
- Represent WeWorld-GVC in the Country in various fora on programmatic and technical issues, strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organization
- Engage and liaise with relevant national-level stakeholders (government representatives, donors, CSO, multilateral organizations, communities)
- Identify, engage and strengthen strategic in-country partners engaged in responses in line with WeWorld-GVC Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies, to grow the pipeline of opportunities in Afghanistan, through a participatory process
- Identify additional areas of synergy and cooperation with donors, other NGOs, UN agencies and relevant institutions
- Promote WeWorld-GVC’s organizational identity and capacity towards all stakeholders and partners in Afghanistan and ensure WeWorld-GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Head of Regional Unit, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to the identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement, in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance
- Coordinate with HQ, maintaining frequent contact with the Desk Officers, partners and leaders of the project as well as relevant donors, in order to keep a regular update on the implementation of the project and to develop strategic planning
- Identify and plan Human Resources needs (International and National)
- Timely inform HR HQ about both the present and the future International HR Needs (Annual and 3M updates) in order to facilitate a punctual recruitment process and deployment of the necessary workforce
- Direct and manage staff in the country, ensuring development of appropriate capabilities and competencies according to the strategic and operational needs of Programs/Projects
- Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of Human Resources in accordance with Policies and Procedures, and all regulatory requirements (WeWorld-GVC, host country legislation and donor’s policy)
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed
- Develop a country security strategy based on HQ and country information and in consultation with the Security Advisor in HQ
- Identify risks and threats and develop systems of early warning flags
- Coordinate in the design, testing and communications of appropriate security and safety plans and programmes
- Develop and document emergency preparedness and disaster evacuation plans and programmes
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human rights
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Fluent in English both written and oral
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutional, private donors and sponsorship programs
- Proven experience in Project Cycle Management
- Sound project development and proposal writing experience
- Experience in Security Management
Skills and Abilities
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Experience in Cash and Voucher programs or Education in Emergency
- Previous work experience in the area
- Fluent in Italian, both written and oral
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found.