Project Manager – Mali
Reporting Relationship: Programs Manager
Location: Bamako, Mali
Starting date: 1 October 2022
Deadline: 24 July 2022
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile and WeWorld-GVC salary scale
WeWorld-GVC is an Italian secular and independent organization, resulted from a merger of two NGOs, working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 25 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with children, women and youth, and all actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. It supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and socio-economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda and SGDs.
Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. Currently WeWorld-GVC in Mali is funded by ECW and AICS.
WeWorld-GVC has been operating in Mali since March 2019 and is officially registered since 31st December 2019. The main office is located in Bamako and a field office has been opened in Douentza in 2021. We have also shared field offices with partner in Mopti (EDUCO). We have implemented programs related to Food Security (through cash transfer), Child Protection and education (through Cash transfer again).
WeWorld-GVC is part of the food security, nutrition, protection and education clusters and is also involve in the FONGIM, the forum of international NGOs operating in Mali, which meets monthly to discuss relevant issues in terms of planning, security, field operations and advocacy. Regarding security, WeWorld-GVC is working actively with INSO to monitor and share information on the targeted area.
WeWorld-GVC’s operational approach also aims to strengthen Malian civil society, through the creation of partnerships with local organizations.
Purpose of the Role
The Project Manager will be in charge of the general operational coordination and execution of the activities necessary for the realization of the project “SURE – Progetto di emergenza per l’assistenza e la resilienza delle popolazioni vulnerabili colpite dal conflitto a Doeuntza e Gao – Mali” (AID12289), financed by Italian Cooperation. The Project Manager is responsible for the overall setting and planning of activities both from a technical and management point of view that will be implemented in Douentza and Gao.
He/she will ensure the quality of the implementation in all its phases: planning, activities follow-up, monitoring and reporting, in coordination with the field teams and partners (CISV and LVIA) and in collaboration with the admin departments.
The Project Manager will be under the direct line management of the Programs Manager in Mali. In coordination with her, he/she will represent the NGO in the relevant meetings related with the projects under his/her management.
MAIN FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Project Management (70 %)
- Leading, monitoring and supporting the planning of project’s activities, ensuring effective delivery in line with donor requirements and WeWorld-GVC’s mission
- Supervising the activities of the project partners by ensuring that the timeframes and procedures stipulated in the official Project documents and AICS procedures are followed
- Supervising the tasks and monitor the activities carried out by project staff by outlining their priorities, facilitating and encouraging their coordination in the project bases (Douentza and Gao), in coordination with project partners
- Monitor the progress of activities, track the achievement of indicators, ensure the timely delivery of both internal and external reports
- Drafting documents related to project implementation, ensuring their accurate and timely delivery, such as: periodic operational plans and any additions and extensions; interim and final reports; requests for variants to be submitted to the donor agency for approval; preparation of dissemination materials
- Manage project budget, under the supervision of the WeWorld-GVC Financial Administrative Manager, ensuring that all expenditures made are in line with the approved financial plan and consistent with project objectives, formulating financial planning on a monthly basis in coordination with partners
- Supervising in coordination with the administrative manager and the LOG/Adm Assistant that purchasing procedures are in line with the requirements of the donor agency
- Coordinating and organizing the documentation required by the donor (collection of bids for purchases and possible tenders) and in close coordination with the Administrative Manager and Assistant Log/Adm Officer by referring to the Internal Procedures Manual adopted by the Organization
- Preparing project planning, worksheets and activities follow-up mechanisms (general/specific activity plan, procurement plan, M&E plan, etc.)
- Supervising the field staff to comply with planning documents and putting corrective mechanisms in place if necessary
- Preparing internal and external reports to ensure effective and timely information flows and reporting
- Ensuring timely information on progress, results and challenges
- Compiling, organizing, analysing, monitoring, and preparing data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes, and other reporting products
- Ensuring efficient, effective and timely field data collection and analysis for donors, audits, and internal purposes
- Comply with WeWorld-GVC’s internal procedures, ensuring the timely execution of scheduled tasks and maintaining work standards marked by quality and efficiency
Project staff Capacity Building and General (10%)
- Recruiting and training of new key team members
- Identifying learning and training opportunities for project staff and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff
- Ensuring transparent, equal and inclusive management of human resources in accordance with internal policies and procedures, and all regulatory requirements of country legislation and Donor’s policy
- Fostering an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensuring that the highest standards of conduct are observed
Partnership and Networking (20%)
- Managing regular contacts with operational and institutional stakeholders involved in project implementation, in coordination with project partners CISV and LVIA
- Participating in institutional meetings with the Donor agency
- Participating in Cluster/Working Groups coordination meetings and other emergency working groups or meetings as required
- Representing WeWorld-GVC and feed back to the Programs Manager, Country Representative and HQ coordinators on relevant issues
- Developing and maintaining regular, transparent and accountable communication lines/flows with the assigned project staff, HQ experts, as well as other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs)
- In coordination with the Programs Manager and Country Representative, providing effective WeWorld-GVC representation to project’ Donor (AICS), national and local authorities, partners and other relevant stakeholders related with the project
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree/Master’s level I or equivalent degree earned at least 3 years ago in Political Science, Social Science, International Relations, Development Cooperation or related fields
- Excellent knowledge of the Italian language, written and verbal
- Fluent in French, both written and verbal
- At least 3 years of experience in project and programs managing
- Previous experience in social context with high complexity
- Knowledge of PCM and the principles of humanitarian aid
- Good computer skills, in particular MS Office package
- At least 3 years’ relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings
- At least 3 years’ of experience in project and programs managing
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to perform under stress conditions
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage effectively multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards
- Strong commitment to WeWorld-GVC Mission
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Previous work experience in Sahel and/or Sub-Saharan Africa
- Knowledge of the UN clusters system
- Knowledge of the areas of intervention (Food Security, Nutrition, Health)