Programme Manager – Vinnytsia, Ukraine
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Manager – Vinnytsia
Duty station: Vinnytsia with frequent travels to field locations
Starting date: 26/09/2022
Contract duration: Until end of December 2022 (renewable)
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: national team
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The war in Ukraine, which started on the 24th of February, shows no signs of abating, and continues to drive increasing humanitarian needs across the country. The most recent verified figures record more than 11,000 civilian casualties since the war began, including 4,889 people killed and 6,263 injured. The real numbers are likely much higher, but already exceeds the verified 10,982 civilian casualties reported in the previous 8 years of conflict in eastern Ukraine. The number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) has now dropped from a peak of just over 8 million, however the majority (3.9 million) continue to be from the east of the country, the main focus of the current Russian offensive (IOM), with many IDPs coming from Kharkivska, Zaporiska and Dnipropetrovska Oblasts. Access concerns and humanitarian needs are particularly high in eastern Donetska and Luhansk oblasts where the conflict is intensifying and critical infrastructure damages prevent civilians from accessing basic services.
INTERSOS started working on the Ukraine crisis from the very beginning of the conflict, first through a regional response with operations in neighboring countries (Poland and Moldova) and subsequently within Ukraine (since March 2022). Today INTERSOS is present in Lvivska, Vinnytska, Poltavska and Dnipropetrovska Oblasts with bases of operations and warehouses in Lviv, Vinnytsia and Poltava, allowing a wide geographical coverage. Moreover, INTERSOS is in the process of expanding operations in Odeska and Dnipropetrovska with dedicated bases of operations. INTERSOS is currently implementing Health, Protection, NFIs and WASH interventions, funded by UNHCR, SV, OCHA, GFFO and ECHO encompassing several components: distribution of medicines to Regional Health Departments and shelters and equipment for clinics, Cash for Health, mobilisation of Protection mobile teams, establishment of community-based protection mechanisms, case management for CP/PWSN cases, psychosocial support (PSS), Protection Monitoring (PM), and distribution of material assistance to vulnerable individuals and households.
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the Coordination team, Programme Manager defines and plans project objectives and priorities, identifying humanitarian needs, analysing context and humanitarian issues at stake, risks and constraints and calculating human and financial needs. Contribute, in collaboration with Country Programme Coordinator, other Programme Managers and Technical Coordinators (Protection, Medical), to implementation of activities and external and internal coordination in order to efficiently ensure objectives are met and improve the targeted population’s humanitarian situation.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Represent INTERSOS within Vinnytsia Oblast programme limits, proactively participating in relevant technical coordination meetings, cluster meetings and working groups. In close consultation with the Head of Mission, Country Programme Coordinator and the Head of Base, develop institutional contacts with local government and national partners at project level (civil society, NGOs, non-state actors, Clusters focal points, local authorities, Ministry representatives, UN agencies and donors, etc.) in order to coordinate INTERSOS activities and ensure their greater effectiveness within the local context.
- Observe the political and humanitarian situation in the program region in order ensure that INTERSOS’ charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees, populations, authorities and partners.
- Together with Coordination and project teams, evaluate needs by identifying the population’s status, analysing the context (environment, actors involved, etc.) and associated risks and constraints in order to define priorities and project goals and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed.
- Propose and carry out exploratory missions and rapid assessment related to INTERSOS strategy in the country, when requested by Coordination, in order to better comprehend context, priorities, constraints and population needs and design new project proposals.
- Prepare regular updates of project work-plans and related financial plans, ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with INTERSOS and donor guidelines and in line with the projects and overall sectoral strategies.
- Steer and supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Dnipro programme in collaboration with the team, monitoring risks and threats, assessing progress made and detecting deviations and promptly proposing corrective actions.
- Provide reporting to the Programme Coordinator and other SMT members on projects’ evolution and propose corrections if needed.
- Liaise with local partners in Vinnytsia Oblast
- Elaborate the programme institutional memory, keeping written records of individual projects and disseminating information internally about achievements, challenges and lessons learned.
- In coordination with the HR department and relevant Coordinators, plan and organise the organizational charts, distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their comprehension of the issues linked to the projects and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals.
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the SMT, promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality .
- Contribute to ensuring INTERSOS security and safety protocols are fully respected in order to ensure safe working conditions for the project staff; report any issues of concern to the Head of Mission and other relevant Managers.
- In coordination with HR department and other relevant managers, contribute to ensuring proper application of HR policies and processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, staff development, etc).
- In coordination with the HR department and relevant managers, identify training needs, build the capacity, coordinate, supervise and motivate staff, provide ad hoc training sessions and on-the-job training, individual follow up and coaching.
- Contribute, with the support of key protection staff, to ensuring programme staff are trained on INTERSOS PSEA/CP Policies and that these policies are respected in the area of responsibility.
- Ensure the project staff respect INTERSOS rules and regulations, and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics, PSEA and CP Policies.
- Constantly monitor financial supervision of expenditure.
- Contribute to supervising logistical and medical orders and project procurements, in order to ensure efficiency and early detection of obstacles and delays.
- Produce monthly internal reports and elaborate mid-term and final reports according to donor rules and regulation and INTERSOS Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection and timely submission.
- Conduct regular field visits to the project locations to ensure the quality of the intervention in compliance with the internal and donors’ standard
- Guarantee close coordination and interaction with the other Program Managers and Technical coordinators deployed in the mission, in order to ensure consistency and harmonization of modalities of implementation, tools, approaches etc.
- Any other task that may be requested by the Programme Coordinator.
Required profile and experience
High education: Economics, Political Science, University degree in humanitarian issues. Alternatively, solid field experience.
At least 3 years of experience in coordination and management positions in emergency humanitarian contexts. Previous experience in managing Protection projects is considered an asset
- Excellent knowledge of project cycle management
- good budget planning and management
- team management
- good knowledge of MS Office package
- Excellent and proposals writing skills
- Fluent English (spoken, read, written) is essential.
- Good knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian (desirable).
- Good organisational, management and planning skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, with little supervision and under pressure
- Strong communication, written and verbal, and relationship building skills with experience in managing teams
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS. In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-60-2682-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.