Country Representative – Mozambico
Position: Country Representative Mozambique
Reporting Relationship: Head of Regional Unit
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) months collaboration contract subject to evaluation; a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 31/08/2022
WeWorld-GVC, constituted on 2018 from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 25 countries with 129 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are the EU (including DG ECHO), the UN agencies (UNICEF, OCHA, UNHCR), Italy (AICS), Cooperation agencies of other countries and private funds (individuals, companies and foundations).
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Mozambique since 2000 with development and emergency projects in the fields of education, food security and DRR in the provinces of Maputo, Gaza, Inhambane, Manica, Zambézia and Cabo Delgado. WeWorld-GVC carries out emergency projects in the provinces of Manica and Cabo Delgado and interventions to promote the agriculture and the conservation of biodiversity in the province of Maputo. Since 2019 WeWorld-GVC has been intervening in response to IDAI and Kenneth cyclone to assist affected populations in Manica and Cabo Delgado Province; and since 2020 it has been intervening in response to COVID-19 and to improve social cohesion and peacebuilding in Cabo Delgado province.
Our main donors in the country are Italy (AICS), the EU (ECHO), the UN (UNICEF, UNDP, UNOPS, WFP and FAO) and the Swiss Cooperation.
Purpose of the Role
Under the guidance of Head of Regional Unit for East and South Africa, the Country Representative is responsible for the strategic leadership and direction of the country program to achieve WeWorld-GVC’s vision.
The Country Representative is responsible for the sound implementation of organizational strategy and programs at country level ensuring the quality of the activities and the compliance to organizational ethical and accountability standards. The Country Representative supervises personnel and manages financial, administrative, logistical operations and the programs of the country office. S/he develops and maintains relations with donors, local and national governments and partners, maintaining a positive organizational profile. S/he leads the country team, including ensuring proper adherence to staff security and safety organizational procedures and policy. S/he leads/supervises the development of new proposals, the mobilization of new resources for the programs, and oversees and ensures the correct, development, implementation and management of projects.
Main functions and duties
Programme Management and Development
- Lead the development and implementation of high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and the organizational priorities.
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition of new projects in the country, ensuring a long-term portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
- Lead, guide and supervise the Projects managers on performance and quality control, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of Project deliverables, in compliance with We World-GVC standards.
- Lead and oversee the preparation and implementation of Programs documents (including SOPs, policy briefs, Programs plans and Risk Assessments).
- Oversee the financial and logistic sustainability of programs and operations through effective and efficient resources development effort, outstanding financial ratios, effective budget administration and procurement management (i.e. management and maintenance of project assets and regular inventories).
- Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating WeWorld-GVC achievements, competencies and interest at global level.
Representation and advocacy
- Represent WeWorld-GVC in the Country in various fora on programmatic and technical issues, strategic meetings, conferences, platforms and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organization.
- Engage and liaise with relevant national-level stakeholders (government representatives, donors, CSO, multilateral organizations, communities).
- Identify, engage and strengthen strategic in-country partners engaged in DRR and climate change, child protection, migration and human rights integrated responses, in line with We World-GVC Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies, to grow the pipeline of opportunities in Mozambique, through a participatory process.
- Identify additional areas of synergy and cooperation with donors, other NGOs, UN agencies and relevant institutions.
- Promote WeWorld-GVC’s organizational identity and capacity towards all stakeholders and partners in Mozambique and ensure WeWorld-GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Head of Regional Unit, for targeted investments in growth and innovation.
- Coordinate with HQ, maintaining frequent contact with the Desk Officers, partners and leaders of the projects as well as relevant donors, in order to keep a regular update on the implementation of the projects and to develop strategic planning.
- Identify and plan Human Resources needs (International and National).
- Timely inform HR HQ about both the present and the future International HR Needs (Annual and 3M updates) in order to facilitate a punctual recruitment process and deployment of the necessary workforce.
- Direct and manage staff in the country, ensuring development of appropriate capabilities and competencies according to the strategic and operational needs of Programs/Projects.
- Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of Human Resources in accordance with Policies and Procedures, and all regulatory requirements (WeWorld-GVC, host country legislation and donor’s policy).
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Develop a country security strategy based on HQ and country information.
- Identify risks and threats and develop systems of early warning flags.
- Coordinate the design, testing and communications of appropriate security and safety plans and programmes.
- Develop and document emergency preparedness and disaster evacuation plans and programmes.
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political or Economic Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human rights.
- Good knowledge of main international donors’ policies and procedures.
- Good knowledge of MS Office.
- Fluent in Portuguese both written and verbal.
- Working knowledge of English.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields.
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutional and private donors.
- Proven experience in Project Cycle Management
- Sound project development and proposal writing experience.
- Experience in Security Management.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behavior to the needs of the situation.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders.
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics.
- Experience in education, protection, livelihood, agriculture, resilience, DRR
- Previous work experience in the area.
- Fluent in Italian, both written and verbal.
How to apply:
Please send Cover Letter and CV at: